Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Mine is an Oster toaster/oven/convection/broiler; I use it nearly every day for everything from toast to pizza to roasts. I think I paid 40 bucks for it.

For what I do with it, the counter space it takes up -- not much, really -- is well worth it. That was never a consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 PM

139 posts, read 169,636 times
I have a Krups convection toaster oven, which I use far more often than my regular oven. It's on the pricier side though; >$150.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I had a cheapo model once, and the whole outside of the thing got so blazing hot, I tossed it. I kept worrying about touching it, or having it catch something on fire.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
The thing that has always cracked me up about toaster ovens is that they are misnamed. For starters they are pretty much universally inferior for making toast. They take far longer than a toaster to make toast, and the toast is rarely uniformly toasted. It's almost always darker on one side than on the other. For toast, real toast, I'll take a good wide-mouth toaster any day.

And then ther is the fact that they are not good ovens, either. The heating elements are too close and the heat is direct, unlike an oven in which the heat is indirect. You can easily scorch the outside of a piece of meat without fully cooking the inside. That's my point.

What they are, really, is a small broiler. And for things like open faced grilled sandwiches they are very good.

As for quartz tube vs wire coil heater, the quartz tube is much easier to clean, and that's key to minimizing smoking. So is a removable bottom.

Convection is an entirely different beast... the forced air blast of heat warms up food faster. For things like heating up pizza or frozen dinners, convection is superior.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Love it! Unless I'm doing something fancy, no need to heat up the big oven. Quick and easy.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
I love my toaster oven. I have had one ever since I first moved out a 23, so it's sort of like a main appliance to me...couldn't be without one! I cook toast, pizza, baked potatoes, cookies, whatever...anything I can cook in the oven, that is small enough, I do it in the toaster oven. MUCH more convenient and less energy as well. Also use it in addition to the oven when I am cooking several things, so it's very handy. My BF doesn't have one at his house and it drives me nuts.

The one I have now is the best one I have ever had. It's a Breville, and was about $180 I think. Worth every penny.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,458 times
OpenD, thanks for the info on the tubes. Later I will try and decide which brand. We'll take a vote, all I see from other people's experience is positive. Main drawbacks to me are the space. I think it'll be a good replacement for the main oven. IE using the oven in summertime.

I guess my next question is which wattage would work best? 1500? 1800?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Mine looks like eggalegga's but pretty sure it's not a Kenmore, maybe Black and Decker?
We use it alot but are thinking sometime of getting a replacement. Toast - even on lightest setting/toast still at times comes up burnt. It's been in the house for a few years, at least. We've used it ALOT. Most often for toast, muffins, bagels, little pizza bites/rolls, re-heating pizza slices (at times), what else? Hmm, well, that's all I can think of for the moment, anyhow.

We don't have a toaster, so we use that as our toaster.
We do have a micro-oven/convection oven combo.

I don't use our oven all that much. I have used it for big pizzas, some fish that baking worked better (supposedly). Most of the time we just use our George Foreman mini grill for our fish, burgers, panini, etc.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:29 AM

Cuisinart CSO-300 Combo Steam + Convection Oven - CNET Mobile!

we'll start with the Cadillac, Seriously steam? As he said great for moist chicken, fish and rice?? Seriously rice? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that! I hate appliances that leak water.

Seriously, exactly how much money is too much money? Apparently 299.00

Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM

Breville Smart Oven - CNET Mobile
stepping down a level.. It is not quite smart enough to toast all toast evenly.

Only 249.00

so later I'll look at the common poor man's toaster! And see how they weigh in. Thanks to everyone who it participating in the toaster oven review! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink