Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times

Advertisements

My husband, mom and I never have. My birthday is next Saturday and I am going to my best friend's house to celebrate her birthday and mine (her's was Dec 31st.) Anyway she ordered a whole roasted pig from a BBQ place and it's being delivered. I was told that the meat in the cheeks is the best part. There will be 8 of us and we are all making a side dish to bring. I am making homemade BBQ sauce to go with the meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,559 times
Yes! It's delicious too! Years ago I went to a party and they cooked a whole pig in the ground and the meat just fell off the bones. Yum!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
In the south, a pig pickin' is pretty common. Sounds like a good time. Enjoy!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband, mom and I never have. My birthday is next Saturday and I am going to my best friend's house to celebrate her birthday and mine (her's was Dec 31st.) Anyway she ordered a whole roasted pig from a BBQ place and it's being delivered. I was told that the meat in the cheeks is the best part. There will be 8 of us and we are all making a side dish to bring. I am making homemade BBQ sauce to go with the meat.
Oh, from your title I thought you wondered if any of us had eaten the entire pig. I know I love pork and I know I need to learn to eat less, but I never say down to a whole pig...

Seriously, we have been to Luaus in Hawaii, where they cook the whole guy in the ground. It is the most flavorful meat I have ever had, but don't remember what part was said to be the best. I think we pretty much have had it served like pulled pork. Any side dishes you would have with any pork would probably work just fine.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Grew up having whole pig several times a year. We always go to the farm and pick one out to be butchered while we wait. Then we load it up and marinate it for three days. Then they roast it in a bbq box.

So good!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
ive put on pigroasts before ,,and cut the cooked pig up..

pigroasts are great!! the meat is delicious

the pig can weigh 40 lbs 60 lb or 120lbs or larger,,, you can roast it over a pit, bed of coals, on a rotiserrie spit,,,,on a large gas grill (split the pig) and flip the sides over, and i saw someone cook one overnight in the ground,,

a couple tips,,, let someone who hasnt had too much to drink cut the meat up...and serve all boneless-except for the ribs if someone wants them,,,,some of these bones can be very sharp

its too easy for someone thats had one too many drinks start slicing off what they want and the knife slips, and they get cut
you are better off to have some large platters and have one sober person thats good with a knife,,to load up the platters with the cooked pork and let your guests take from the platters,,,,you cant have each guest trying to cut a chunk for themselves off the carcass

half the wedding receptions in maine- have a pig-roast,,,its economical and keeps the flies away from the bride

have a good time,,,and be sure to flip the pig if not on a rotiserrie

and give some thoughts to different flavor bbq sauces,,,,line em up in bowls and let folks scoop the sauce they want..

and remember to have plastic disposable gloves,,,- useful for handling the pork

have "take home containers or plastic bags at the ready for folks to take home some pork,,, ive seen 20lbs of leftover pork before- with no containers..

also have extra tinfoil handy,,, if you are cooking where it is warm or sunny ,,,cover the meat/pork platters with tinfoil, keeps the sun from drying it up ,,and the flies off and guests sneezing on it.

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 01-11-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 05:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Yes! Have been to a few luaus in Hawaii.

Also - about 20 years ago - ordered a whole fresh pig, dug the big pit, the whole deal, and roasted it. It was amazingly good. Although we then had to find a way to dispose of the bones and the de-fleshed head (which sat in my fridge staring at me for several days) so as not to attract every carnivore in the county.

A few years ago I went to a BBQ where a whole pig was roasted on a spit. Again, it was amazingly good.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Have you ever eaten a whole roasted pig?
No. I can't eat a whole pig.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
We did the pig on a spit some years ago in suburban LA. Interesting challenge. The hard part was finding a suitable pig...not an everyday item in LA. Actually bought one in the Inland Empire. We rented the rotisserie from a rent a store.

We roasted ours slowly over a day...went all night on the grill with checks every few hours.

Had a couple of farm boys who did the carving.

Came out great. Fed 35 or 40 people.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No. I can't eat a whole pig.

OK, I amend my earlier response: I have not and could not eat a whole roasted pig!
But I have eaten little parts of them and those parts were tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink