Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Those beans will definitely not expire, they're dried. They might have a sell-by date, but they're not going bad.

I cook a 15-bean blend in the crock pot, which negates the need for soaking them. I usually do some variation on the basic package recipe, adding ham hocks. Onion, garlic, celery, chopped tomato, broth, seasoning to suit my mood, stew it in the crock pot all day, and bake some crusty bread. Perfect for cold winter days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I cook a 15-bean blend in the crock pot, which negates the need for soaking them.
Soaking dried beans isn't just to soften them, it's to reduce the intestinal gas they can produce.

Dried beans contain a hard to digest sugar called Raffinose, which is a primary source of intestinal gas as it ferments in the intestines. Soaking dried beans dissolves the raffinose, then discarding the soak water and rinsing the beans before cooking greatly reduces the raffinose content, and allows the finished soup or beans to be much... ummm... quieter.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
As Dirt grinder mentioned, I could never get this one right and have tried before the 15 bean bag mix. So I did purée a bit to thicken up as a more of a porridge to serve with rice and fried egg.

I added onion, celery, chorizo, smoked ham hock and chopped turnips greens and cooked with chicken stock not water.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Once I cooked the soup to where there weren't any undercooked beans many of them had dissolved into the soup. It tasted good and the dissolved beans added thickness, but it just wasn't what I was hoping to create.
Yeah, that's the way it spoze to be... the quickest cooking beans and lentils and peas dissolve, creating luscious thickness around the heartier beans which enjoy more tooth appeal. That's why it is a 15-bean soup, rather than a 11-bean soup, or whatever.

Matter of fact, I push it further, using my trusty old Braun stick blender to pulverize about half the beans once the pot is ready, producing a satisfyingly thick, rich soup with complexity of texture sustained by the whole beans which remain.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Another thing I do is if I have left over beans I put them in the freezer.

Next time I take the frozen beans out and put them
in the pot, and cook the beans together.

Wala ... Bean starter ... make it taste better

Also Wormed up beans the next day, will be better.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
I'm hungry. . . .

Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post

Wala ... Bean starter
Just curious... do you mean "voila"? or does that mean something else?

Old 01-24-2014, 01:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Just curious... do you mean "voila"? or does that mean something else?
You proably right ... don't know for sure:

But As Tony The tiger Said ... Their Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... eat ! ! !

Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Thanks for all of the great replies with lots of information!

The grocery store didn't have ham hocks. I told the butcher what I was trying to do as I was holding a smoked ham bone. He said it wouldn't give me enough flavor. He pointed me in the direction of big chunks of ham that have the bone cut right through them. These weren't the type of hams you bake for holidays. They're like waste parts with lots of fat, bone and meat. I'm hoping this will work.

I also picked up some ground sausage. I didn't know if ground would work for this meal. I can use it for a different meal if regular sausage is what's needed. It would be great if someone could give me input on this point.

I bought lots of fresh winter vegies that were on sale. I'm stocked up on everything else I need.

I'm excited to try this tomorrow!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Soak them overnight in 8 cups of water. Tomorrow at about noon, throw in a chopped onion, a hunk of ham, or a pound of smoked sausage, and any other veggies you might have around, like carrots or a can of diced tomatoes or some peppers, etc.. Bring to a boil and simmer until the beans are tender (about 2-3 hours). Add salt and pepper if you want. Turn off the heat and let it rest a half hour or so. Make some corn bread or biscuits and there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink