Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times

Advertisements

I like to make beans from the 15 bean bags. I add bacon and ham and a little Cajun spice and about half the package it comes with. I also include onions, parsley, chopped chives, chopped celery, garlic, salt and pepper. And sometimes at the end I add a bit of sriracha sauce. And, after I rinse the beans, I cook them all day in the crockpot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:28 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Seriously, this simple change will greatly improve this otherwise great recipe.
I disagree. This change will NOT improve the recipe per se. However, it will greatly improve the post-meal experience for everyone in the household.

Regarding the included flavor packet - toss that nastiness into the trash lest you accidentally think you need to use it for something. That thing is pure gastronomic evil.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I disagree. This change will NOT improve the recipe per se. However, it will greatly improve the post-meal experience for everyone in the household.

Regarding the included flavor packet - toss that nastiness into the trash lest you accidentally think you need to use it for something. That thing is pure gastronomic evil.
Yup.
Salt, pepper, maybe a little thyme and garlic, sage is a great addition if you're adding sausage of any sort to bean soup too.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,043 times
Add one can of diced tomatoes (I always use Italian but you could use any kind.), one chopped onion and one pound of Kielbasa or other link sausage of your choice... I like to always add a few shakes of powdered Adobo seasoning. Then cook in the crockpot for roughly 6-8 hours. Your cooking time will vary because the older crockpots cook hotter and faster than the newer ones.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Also Wormed up beans the next day, will be better.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
This probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but I had the same predicament once, and I planted mine in my garden. I had the same 15 bean bag for soup, and it got pushed to the back of the pantry, and was about 3 years old, or so. I had a fairly good sized garden, so one day I took the bag, and just on a whim, scattered the beans in 1/2 of the garden. About 2 months later it was a sight! I had bean plants of every description growing profusely. I was able to get a few pots of certain beans out of the confusion, though. Had I had an idea they would really grow, I would have taken the time to section them off, but as it was, it was a 15 bean mess. I laughed about it, and before I got ready to really plant my garden, I simply pulled the plants up, and fed them to my livestock.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
This probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but I had the same predicament once, and I planted mine in my garden. I had the same 15 bean bag for soup, and it got pushed to the back of the pantry, and was about 3 years old, or so. I had a fairly good sized garden, so one day I took the bag, and just on a whim, scattered the beans in 1/2 of the garden. About 2 months later it was a sight! I had bean plants of every description growing profusely. I was able to get a few pots of certain beans out of the confusion, though. Had I had an idea they would really grow, I would have taken the time to section them off, but as it was, it was a 15 bean mess. I laughed about it, and before I got ready to really plant my garden, I simply pulled the plants up, and fed them to my livestock.
I love this idea! I'm going to try it come spring in my side yard.

I already have some sort of Chinese squash seeds I've never been able to identify that I got from some Chinese clients of mine last fall who brought them from China that I'm planting.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
I love this idea too! I'll buy a bag specifically for this in the spring!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Okay. It's cooking. This is what I did.

I decided to go the crock pot route this time since my kitchen is in upheaval due to remodeling.

I soaked the beans at room temperature overnight. It ended up being about 12 hours because I didn't wake up until 11:30 am. I changed the water and let them sit for an additional hour, then I rinsed them in a strainer. They're still so pretty.

I sautéed garlic, onion, celery, and the fatty ham (cut up) and bone in olive oil and some unsalted butter. I dumped all of that into the crock pot. Added beans, carrots, and diced tomatoes. Covered with chicken broth.

The seasonings were a challenge. I wanted to season it differently, but I couldn't find half of my seasonings because everything is stored in boxes and I sent a bunch off with my son when he moved out of state. I used ground pepper, thyme, two small bay leaves, dried peppers (from penzey spices, they're awesome), tiny bit of red pepper, quite a bit of chili powder and mustard.

I bought some vegetables like zucchini and squash, but there's no room for them. I'll make something else with them later this week.

I'm crossing my fingers!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Hopes, that sounds WONDERFUL! I am looking forward to checking back to see how it turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink