Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I was just thinking about McD's earlier today ...... not only did the burgers taste better, but there was a much more enticing aroma around the whole place. I think it was fried onions ...... I haven't had one in a while, but I think they don't have little tiny fried onions anymore. And the buns were lightly fried in some sort of nicely saturated fat.

It's been mentioned here a few times that they used to cook their fries in beef fat, and they were better. They can still make some good-tasting batches, but around here it's hit and miss, unevenly salted, and you have to eat them the minute you get them.

I think the portions are too small. I miss the "supersize" option (in moderation of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I hate cereal today. All this low sugar BS. If I want my sugar, give me my sugar! I miss my fruity pebbles that tasted like a bowl of colored sugar!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
M&M's no longer taste chocolate-y.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
When I was a kid I used to eat spoonfuls of Ovaltine right from the jar , 50 years later I bought a jar and something certainly changed, just not sure if it was me, the Ovaltine, or both, only that it sure wasn't as pleasing as I remembered..

Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Nobody can tell me that hamburgers from all the chains, i.e. McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King etc., tastes like they used to! The meat has no taste whatsoever!!
I distinctly remember thinking about Burger King many years ago that I liked them because the meat had a real charbroiled flavor but now the meat is tasteless and there is no open flame taste at all. I used to love Quarter Pounders from McDonalds but the last couple I had were dry and tasteless.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I miss my grandma's cooking, too. And my mom's.

I stopped buying Mrs. Paul's products years ago when I noticed quality was declining. My son used to buy Hungry Man meals when they were on sale and eat one when he needed calories--and they do have a lot of calories. His favorite was the bone in fried chicken. At least you knew that you were getting an animal part and not Frankenstein chicken. I don't even know if they make that any more.
My grandparents owned two different hotels and grandmother was the head 'chef' (she would have preferred just 'cook'). It was all Pennsylvania Dutch, stick to your ribs, great cooking.

The problem is that many times we reminisce about the old times and forget that we did indeed turn our backs on these products as the quality declined. Then we repeat our mistakes as we forget and relive fond memories of the past.

We recently had Arby's and the sandwiches were cold when we got them - not to mention that they did not taste like we remembered (but 'hot' would have helped).

Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I think Kraft individual slices are awful now, they used to be a higher callorie count back in the day - BUT they were larger slices. So they lowered fat by lowering the size you are getting. Very deceptive. The slices used to be a creamy consistency and had a dull look but now are "shiny" when you unwrap them. blah.
We only buy deli american cheese now.
Husband agrees about the twinkies. Esp. now that another company has bought them.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I think a lot of it is companies changing formulas to save money. Sugar has been replaced with HFCS. A lot of the shelf stable cookies and crackers were made with things like lard, which made them soft, but have trans fats (which are a big no no nowadays). I've noticed almost all shelf stable desserts have the consistency of cardboard now because they are now transfats free. I used to LOVE hostess cupcakes as a kid, the last time I ate one it was like biting into a piece of cardboard. I spat it right back out.

Sometimes I wonder about Americans and their tastebuds. Most commercially prepared foods taste hideous to me. Restaurant food is oversalted to the point of making me feel sick. Most prepackaged food tastes awful. Even junk food doesn't taste good anymore.

I used to love Krispy Kreme donuts, but since they got rid of the transfats (and created a formula that would allow their donuts to be shelf stable for a few days), their products taste horrid, too.

I guess that's one way to combat obesity in America--make all convenience/fast foods taste horrible...
You have no idea what you're talking about, it's the lard that made things taste good. Did you mean saturated fat free? Because everything is transfat now.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Almost everything I liked in the 90s and before is garbage now

Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 PM

290 posts, read 259,188 times
I don't know what the American brand names are for these "candies" or as we call them in Oz lollies.

The Bounty bar and the cherry ripe have absolutely changed for the worse over the last 10 to 15 years. Both of them no longer have that "fresh brightness" to the taste that they once had. The texture of the filling is worse. I used to eat the whole cherry ripe or Bounty bar. But now you can't eat it all; it's a bit like chewing gum when you have to spit out the last bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink