Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

I don't personally care for fresh (raw) tomatoes but I found this article astounding in terms of current tomatoes tasting like water but are grown simply because they look good and ship well - and an amazing new tomato TASTES and looks good but grocers won't stock it:

Garden Gem tomato: Why Harry Klee’s perfect cultivar isn’t sold in supermarkets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 02:33 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Animal crackers
Wise Potato chips. They used to be big crunchy greasy chips with bubbles.
Pretzels

Old 07-18-2015, 04:31 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
watermelon..............I dont think the seedless little round ones are anywhere near as sweet and flavorful as the old elongated dark green ones out of a tank of ice water. ....I think the hybrid varieties have lost the sugar and taste.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:38 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I bought them when they were in stores here (at the normal price) - I thought they were quite good.
Well then, I'll keep an eye out for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I did cook a home grown rooster and the smell of it stewing was amazing.....the aroma so rich and the broth so rich.....but since he had been around the barn and house for so long......I felt terrible about the whole process of killing, plucking, cleaning and cooking him......and didnt eat him.....just buried him out back. Rest In Piece Billy Barlow. (I had to dispose of him because he was acting so aggressive toward members of the family......he was a very dominant bird.

I have never ever smelled stewed chicken that smelled as good.
Yeah, never name an animal you are going to eat some day, unless it's something utilitarian like #53, Bacon, or Chops.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:41 PM

959 posts, read 75,593 times
We lived overseas during my baby to teen years. Drank tons of Tang. Orange. Tried it -- actually after touting it to my own kids -- and it was sorta indigestion-inducing and not at all like I remembered it.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:16 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
watermelon..............I dont think the seedless little round ones are anywhere near as sweet and flavorful as the old elongated dark green ones out of a tank of ice water. ....I think the hybrid varieties have lost the sugar and taste.
Both my wife and I miss yellow sweet corn. She was raised on a farm and she thinks that she ate field corn - she likes tough, big, yellow kernels that are not very sweet. I just miss the flavor of the large, sweet, yellow kernels. I enjoyed some of the hybrid varieties like Penn Fresh ADX.

But it is impossible to find any yellow corn today. Even the farmer's markets sell mostly the bi-colored corn or white corn. We cannot figure out why all varieties disappeared? It is the same with the watermelons - it is harder and harder to to find the old, seeded, melons. It is like some higher authority decided that this is what you have to eat; even if you don't like it!

Old 07-18-2015, 06:47 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Have definitely noticed the same thing and could be attributed to many things. Can go out to eat and all is well,but stuff I purchase at store and do at home isnt like 10 yrs ago. Chicken fried seems to be stringy but a whole chicken roasted does better. Taste changes could be due to many things such as medications one is on,illnesses you may have but do believe alot has to do with how animals,chickens,turkeys are raised and what they are fed. My husband who was raised on a farm is the first who noticed the change in taste. I remember when I was small the wonderful taste fried foods had as we had grease poured in cans and used again for frying potatos and other foods. Didnt make for healthy people long term. Once they started removing what wasnt healthy for us the flavor changed. Signs of the times and will continue that way now that the govt will be paying your medical bills.

I remember about 30 years ago, hearing old timers say that food didn't taste the same. Grease could be part of it, but I don't think all. Some of the things they mentioned was meat, especially pork tasting better. And corn and of course what are now, trendy "heirloom" vegetables.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I have noticed a taste and most importantly a texture difference in Best Foods/Hellman's mayonnaise.

I wonder what they did.
Years ago, when I worked at a Burger King, they had the most amazing mayonnaise. It was unlike any Mayo I could buy anywhere else. It said Hellmans, but the store bought didn't taste like that. So, they do make things differently for different buyers.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I agree. The funny thing is people are grossed out by lard but they'll eat bacon and sausage which are full of pork fat. There's hardly any difference except that lard is also rendered from other parts of the pig in addition to the parts that bacon and sausage come from.

Also funny that they'll eat butter, cream, and cheese, which contain fat that is much more highly saturated than lard.

It doesn't make any sense.
I've heard Lard is making a comeback. I have no problem with Lard. I don't use a lot of fats in cooking, but I'll use Lard for certain things.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:30 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Home grown corn....golden bantum; silver queen; country gentleman or gentleman Jim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink