Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM

143 posts, read 335,872 times

Advertisements

I bought a Keurig Mini with the intention of also buying a reusable filter so I can use my own coffee to cut down on the cost. But I am having trouble finding a filter that actually works, so I was wondering what others are using.

The problem I am finding is that all the filters basically have the same problem: weak coffee with grounds in the cup. I am currently using the Cafe Cups (the "as seen on tv" ones). The problem is that the water drills straight down, pushing the grounds aside. The grounds end up stuck to the sides of the filter, and the water passes through without really going through the grounds. The coffee ends up looking like tea.

I've looked at a lot of reviews on amazon, and some filters get good reviews, but when i dig deeper, a lot of people are saying the same thing that I just described.

So I thought I'd ask here: Has anyone found a decent filter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
You better off getting a french press or cheap Mr.Coffee machine. Keurigs are a waste of money and they taste the same as other pre-grinded coffee.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I have a generic filter that I bought at Bed ,bath and beyond. It works, but I find the coffee to be too weak. I prefer the Actual K-cups. Hubby says it's fine. When I make him coffee to take to work I use what ever canned coffee I have and reusable K cup. Since I love the Newman's own K cups, all other coffees taste weak to me.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
I have a mini and I use this one:

Reuseable K Cup Filter | Ekobrew

I do not, however, use it "as is." I insert EZ-Cup paper filters, just as I did with my old 12-cup drip.

I get the filters at Walmart, they are also available at bed,bath and beyond, amazon, ebay...

They look like this:

Buy Perfect Pod EZ-Cup Filters (Set of 50) from Bed Bath & Beyond

I do take the top of the filter off before use, as it helps with water flow.

I always use a dark roast, currently Yuban, and fill about 3/4 full.
Gives me my perfect cup of coffee.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,079,969 times
This the one that my DP uses for his Keurig Vue Solofill Cup, Reusable K-Cup, Refillable K-Cup for Keurig Brewers He really likes it and uses his own coffee.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 PM

143 posts, read 335,872 times
Thanks for the feedback.
I decided to order the Ekobrew from amazon, and also the ekobrew paper filters.
Hope I can make a good cup 'o joe soon!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You better off getting a french press or cheap Mr.Coffee machine. Keurigs are a waste of money and they taste the same as other pre-grinded coffee.
Thanks. I've looked at Keurigs many times, wondering what the attraction was. I've decided there is nothing there for me. You still have to fill the thing with water. I mean, really, what's the point? It makes no sense to me other than it's something new and different than plain old coffee makers. And at 10x the price. All these extra filters and taking off tops, etc, etc, etc.

No thanks. I'll stick with my Cuisanart and Folgers.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
You know, I have not had good luck with them. The coffee is just too weak.

I stick with the actual K cups. I know they range between .70 and 1.00 per cup of coffee, but when I go to Starbucks, I spend five bucks easy on a cup of coffee.

I do like the convenience of only making the one cup and not making too much coffee, but I will say, I think regular coffee pots produce a better cup of coffee.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Thanks. I've looked at Keurigs many times, wondering what the attraction was. I've decided there is nothing there for me. You still have to fill the thing with water. I mean, really, what's the point? It makes no sense to me other than it's something new and different than plain old coffee makers. And at 10x the price. All these extra filters and taking off tops, etc, etc, etc.

No thanks. I'll stick with my Cuisanart and Folgers.
What extra filters?

Honestly, it is really no different than what I used to do with my 12-cup Cuisinart drip coffee maker, just on a smaller scale. Instead of filling a paper filter to make 8 cups at a time, I fill one to make one.
And, while I do buy k-cups, when I use the reusable filter, I am using the same exact coffee I used before so...

I resisted getting a Keurig for a long time, however, after analysis, since I was the only one using the big one, it seemed to make sense to get the mini and just make one cup at a time.

Funny thing is, since I've had it, everyone in my household is using it, be it for coffee, tea, hot cocoa.
It's fun and it's fast and it looks great on my kitchen counter (mine is yellow).

Anyway, not a sales pitch. I just like having fresh, steaming hot coffee every single time I fill my cup and this gives me exactly that.

To each his or her own.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
You know, I have not had good luck with them. The coffee is just too weak.

I stick with the actual K cups. I know they range between .70 and 1.00 per cup of coffee, but when I go to Starbucks, I spend five bucks easy on a cup of coffee.

I do like the convenience of only making the one cup and not making too much coffee, but I will say, I think regular coffee pots produce a better cup of coffee.
Just FYI - I found a great Kona blend on amazon from Caza Trail - less than $24.00 for 50 k-cups. It is billed as a medium roast, but taste is actually on the stronger side.

I refuse to pay more than $.50 per and this averages out to $.41 a cup.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink