Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Bagels and lox and whitefish... I'm Jewish, so this sounds PERFECT. Also, because I'm Jewish, the old adage "less is more" doesn't apply. MORE is more! Buy extra of everything. Leftover bagels can be frozen. So can the lox. If it's whitefish salad (the mushy -- but yummy -- stuff), then I don't think I'd freeze any leftovers. (I'd eat it immediately after everyone leaves! ) But if it's actual whitefish (the dried fish), then you can freeze the leftovers too.

HAVE FUN! And congratulations to your daughter and her husband-to-be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM

417 posts, read 454,749 times
Thank you guys - you make me feel like I know what I am doing!! I am going to think about the mimosas a bit more. sure does sound easy .
I think at this point we are trying to figure out quantity and MTL you definitely hit it on the head. I started out being a bit on the skimpy side but the mere thought of an empty platter has put me into overdrive so I guess we will have food for 120. (only slightly kidding).
love that dispenser George!
As I said, we start at 1 pm the week after superbowl. it's going to be such a crowd I wont even know if you show up. Now going to look at the paper plates, cups etc. As always ANY comments suggestions whatever are graciously accepted.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Desserts later, coffee available from the start. (for us coffee drinkers)

Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I suggest making Bloody Mary's, you could mix up the base, fill red plastic cups with olives, celery, pickled aspargrass, whatever, lemon wedges, add ice when the party starts, and have plenty, with a small side table with extra hot sauce. That and Screwdrivers are pretty standard brunch drinks.

When I had a crowd for Christmas, I went to the party store, they have plastic pitchers, plastic platters, cheap.

You could get large blocks of cream cheese at Costco, and make some special cream cheese flavors, honey walnut, veggie, chive, to have on hand.

Have the buffet tables, set up so people can go on both sides. Rent tables and chairs if you need to...

We used to host parties after skiing, people needed a place to put their coats, with a crowd, you don't want the coats piled on a bed...we got hangers, cheap clothing racks for coats...we cleaned out on bedroom as a coat room...took out the bed, put it in the other kids room.

Kids...we made the den the "kids" room, kid food, and juice boxes. Plenty of toys and games out for them. And that was where the "changing" station was, discretely in the corner, with wipes, plastic bags...covered trash, but of course, almost everyone we knew had four or five kids...maybe you don't have parties quite like that...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
I would suggest coffee from the start and putting desserts out half way through the event. I also think mimosas or some sort of champagne punch (use prosecco as suggested) would be a good addition. Most people should arrive at a 1pm brunch reasonably well feed and not expecting too much in the way of food, but some sort of heavier option might be a good idea. Meatballs or a meaty quiche, just in case people are expecting more of the lunch part of brunch.

My final piece of advice is to hire a few people to help you cook/clean/bartend. I typically ask a friend who owns a restaurant to suggest a few servers who might want to make some extra cash but a few teens from your neighborhood might work just as well. But a few people to keep an eye on anything that might be in the oven, replenish empty trays, and pick up plates is well worth it with a crowd of 60+.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Desserts later, coffee available from the start. (for us coffee drinkers)
i agree
id also put the desserts right out

i have a sweet tooth and would like something sweet with my coffee

Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
Thank you guys - you make me feel like I know what I am doing!! I am going to think about the mimosas a bit more. sure does sound easy .
I think at this point we are trying to figure out quantity and MTL you definitely hit it on the head. I started out being a bit on the skimpy side but the mere thought of an empty platter has put me into overdrive so I guess we will have food for 120. (only slightly kidding).
love that dispenser George!
As I said, we start at 1 pm the week after superbowl. it's going to be such a crowd I wont even know if you show up. Now going to look at the paper plates, cups etc. As always ANY comments suggestions whatever are graciously accepted.

ok,,with a crowd up to 80 people,,,brings up other concerns- parking for one...signs for where to park the cars

do you have 2 restrooms?? with plenty of t.p and air freshener spray!??!!

a little planning can avoid some embarrassing moments

and if alot of kids,,,a separate room for them,,as one poster said,,,

and if this is about your daughter getting engaged,, will there be a toast?? you could have a few give a friendly toast- these can be fun,,,, and if you do, have it on video.

if you have digital picture frames, fill em with images of your daughter.

have a couple drinks before this starts, you are doing something wonderful for your daughter, this could also be a high pressure day for you, and your daughter and her fiancee', so emotions can be riding high
and try to relax, if you are on edge, then this may put your daughter on edge ..

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 01-29-2014 at 12:44 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 12:53 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
We used to have this type of brunch growing up. I can't say for sure but I think the desserts were out with the bagels/lox. If people don't want the dessert till later that is their choice but a lot of people for brunch like sweet tasting foods. If you think of upscale brunch buffets they have dessert items out with main meal foods like this too.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Several days before the party, trying setting up your serving tables with empty platters, figure out where everything goes, make sure you have enough room, enough platters, enough serving pieces, enough room to maneuver around the table with a plate and a drink in your hand.....

which brings me to, make sure every other flat surface is basically cleared off because people are going to need a place to set down their drink while they nosh on a bagel, or set down their plate while they wipe their hands or mouth on a napkin, etc. Trying walking around yourself with a plate and a glass and see for yourself! And you may want to shift your furniture just a bit to open up the traffic flow, even an extra 6" to get by the armchair can make a difference with a crowd.

And finally, if there are lots of little kids and the weather is warm enough, consider renting a bounce house so they can enjoy themselves and work off some extra energy without playing tag through the crowd!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:59 AM

417 posts, read 454,749 times
Great advice-we do have adequate street parking, and 2 bathrooms on the first floor. We have 2 coat closets I am intending to empty out for this and we are considering a rolling rack to put in the laundry room. Again, I should have a better idea by the weekend (the brunch is 2/9) so we will have a better idea if it is 50 or 80 so to speak.
We are only having fish and dairy so anything with meat is not an option though they are good suggestions.. what I am confused on is laying out the food... We do have a good size house, .For practicality I would have the beverages in the kitchen... we hae good counter space along with a small island, and a good size table in the kitchen. The kitchen is of course next to the dining room and open to the family room.(we also have a living room across from the dining room so there is a good amount of space, though probably not seating for 60 So, the food will be in the kitchen and dining room.
I am wondering if I should have the kitchen for the beverages and desserts and lighter platters and the dining room for the fish platters, salads and bagels? I will definitely be pretend placing platters around to see the logistics but I am challenged with which room should have what.
In the past, as with most people I guess, everyone always stays in the kitchen. Of course with a crowd they will be all over, but should I have the food food in the kitchen and desserts/fruit platters etc in the dining room?
I don't plan to do much once the party starts other than emptying garbage or bringing out fresh platters- no cooking, no preparation-... just enjoying. So that is why I am trying to pick your collective brains to make it as easy and anticipate as much as possible. I think I will have the coffee set up from the beginning. Maybe bring some additional desserts out after an hour but I think I will try to have most things out or ready to bring out.
A few years ago we had a big pot luck buffet at our house, and I naively had the carpets cleaned before. Of course, in the first five minutes someone tripped with their just filled red wine glass and it sprawled all over the very light beige carpet in the family room. So I am planning to have the carpet cleaned AFTER the party. Any wisdom like that that you can share will be happily received. And back to the where I should lay out the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink