Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,152,595 times

Advertisements

I NEVER send food back because I worry about what they might do to it. I know they *shouldn't* do anything to it, especially in a nice restaurant, but I don't trust that they won't. But I have emailed or called the manager later and let them know about my experience and they have sent me a gift card for another meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,589,300 times
I've sent food back. If something is really wrong, I don't mind requesting something be done about it. I'm always polite about it and work with the server whether I want a replacement of the same dish or something else because of the issue.

A medium-rare steak that was very undercooked, it was cold and blue in the middle. They refired it and came out perfect.

At Disney, hubby received the signature duck appetizer frozen in the middle- he got something else after he couldn't get over the ick.

I received a cornish game hen with the giblet bag still inside. I refused anything else at this point.

A major chain the fish I had was perfect, but the broccoli was rotten. I moved it off to the side and just told the waitress later. The manager comp'ed my entire plate which I didn't expect.

My sister had to send a salad back a few times, the vegetables were rotten, you could smell the decompostion, when the 2nd salad came back the same way she decided it wasn't worth it.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:47 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,789,964 times
Default Do you return food to the kitchen in a restaurant?

My brother is a picky regarding his steak. Must be well done. He usually has to have it sent back to the kitchen. I tell him Nooooo. In upscale restaurants the chef has come out to talk to him about why he wants well-done on a beautiful and expensive cut of meat.

I have a rule of never returning anything to the kitchen. I tell the server what I dislike but eat it. None of the meals have been unedible only not exactly as requested.

Happened on my recent B-day. The meal was free so I was not intending on commenting but the manager came by and asked so I told him.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:36 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,794,628 times
I don't return it because I don't want them to mess with it. But I make a point to tell server and manager if my order was severely screwed up and usually get it taken off the bill or get a gift card

Old 09-10-2016, 06:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,392,174 times
Yes if it isn't right I give them an opportunity to correct it.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:56 PM

427 posts, read 436,897 times
My suggestion is to avoid dining with your brother at a steakhouse. You indicate he is picky and complains about the manner that his meat is prepared. Try another type of cuisine when you dine together.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 PM

3,604 posts, read 9,025,768 times
About a month ago a group of us ordered some donuts for dessert, they came out burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. Showed the server, asked her to please re-fire them and the same result again, asked her to please take them off the bill and there was no problem. It's very rare that I will do something like that but if something is entirely inedible then yes I will send it back.

If your brother incessantly sends back his steak he should just tell the server that he does this chronically so please destroy his steak so he can enjoy his meal with the rest of his table. The chef will hate to do it especially to a good cut of meat but if your brother tells them that this the only way he will eat it so be it. Be upfront about his problem and then there is no issue.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:07 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,253,471 times
I never send anything back to the kitchen, there's no telling what an angry chef might do to the food if he/she feels insulted. If the order was really screwed up, I don't go back.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:23 PM

579 posts, read 551,923 times
This is why yelp exists!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:29 PM

158 posts, read 98,384 times
I've done both. At the end of the day you just have to trust that the person who makes your food is clean and respectable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink