Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: have you ever sent a food item back to the kitchen to be redone / replaced ?
Yes I have sent something back 106 82.17%
No, I have never sent a food item back 23 17.83%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The first time, they're doing their job. The second time, they retaliate for complaining about the way they do their job and making them do more work. But things will be done to your food the first time if you arrive 20 minutes before the kitchen closes. They don't like that. Or if you're nasty to your waitress and she tells them.

It never occurred to me until after my son worked at a 5 star fine dining restaurant while in high school. The things he told me were disgusting. He refuses to go to a restaurant 20 minutes before the kitchen closes. I've decided it's best to error on the side of caution and heed his warnings.
Quote:
Anyone would be a fool to send food back because the kitchen will do terrible things to what's next sent out.

I'm not a meek person. I just know how kitchen staff think. I'm not going to eat someone's spit.

LoL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
first of all, i try to avoid making a scene or screaming at the server,

i will write a note, sign it, and invite the cook/chef to my table- most cooks/chefs are high strung/stressed and even arrogant,,,servers dont like bringing anything back, they get screamed at by the cook-
the note, is clear communication between the customer (me) and the cook- and i will also write, if this isnt corrected, i will give this note to the restaurants owner, and post it on facebook...

this has worked 100% of the time
Yeah, double order of saliva coming up!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Why can kitchen stuff not be as professional as everyone else.

Where do you ear? I cant imagine Chef Ramsey spitting on people's food?
Because most line cooks are making minimum wage or a dollar or two above it......

Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Eating at restaurants these days is a risky proposition anyway. What if he kitchen staff gets your ordinary salad mixed up with the one they prepared "especially" for a diner who is whiner or a yeller or a screamer when they are not satisfied? You will get on the business end of that nastiness and you did nothing but be pleasant and considerate. These kinds of restaurants, run this way, deserve to close!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
I will not send things back, just refuse to pay and go somewhere else.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
first of all, i try to avoid making a scene or screaming at the server,

i will write a note, sign it, and invite the cook/chef to my table- most cooks/chefs are high strung/stressed and even arrogant,,,servers dont like bringing anything back, they get screamed at by the cook-
the note, is clear communication between the customer (me) and the cook- and i will also write, if this isnt corrected, i will give this note to the restaurants owner, and post it on facebook...

this has worked 100% of the time

Yeah, double order of saliva coming up!
Quadruple and then some..

Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
You're lucky if it's only saliva! I'll leave it to your imagination. . . . and, GO!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
I have only sent food back to the kitchen twice in my life, and both were within that last month and a half:

-I was at a steakhouse chain and I ordered a petite fillet with shrimp (modified surf and turf.) I requested medium rare and wound up with a piece of meat that was well done. I had never sent anything back before, but my companions' steaks looked so beautiful and mine was so overdone that I decided to go for it. I was quiet and polite and apologized for being a bother. Everyone was incredibly gracious, and I am glad I spoke up. The server apologized and offered to bring a new order of shrimp along with the new steak, since the two were meant to be eaten together. I ate the original shrimp while I waited for the re-fire, so that worked out just fine. The cook brought the new steak out himself, and waited while I cut into it and found it cooked to perfection.

-The second time was at a chain diner. I ordered an omelet and found a hair in it. If it had been a long hair I would have just removed it and carried on. (I'm not particularly bothered--it's not like hair tends to be disease-ridden or anything.) But it was...shall we say...troublingly short. I don't know that *that* is what it was, and the kitchen would have had absolutely no reason to be unkind to me, but I didn't particularly fancy eating the rest. I sent it back to be re-made minus any visible impurities (if I can't see it, it doesn't bother me) and they took half the cost off my bill. Perhaps I should have just asked to have it removed entirely and eaten elsewhere, but I was with family and it was quite tasty anyhow. Meh.

I prefer to avoid chains, but my SO loves them.

Last edited by StPaulGal; 01-30-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 01:18 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
Quote:
Anyone would be a fool to send food back because the kitchen will do terrible things to what's next sent out.

I'm not a meek person. I just know how kitchen staff think. I'm not going to eat someone's spit.
I would like to see quotes from kitchen workers who say this is the case.

If I order something and it is not up to what it should be, I ask to speak to the manager. The server really has no way of correcting a problem and that is what a manager is for.

Last year, on my birthday, we went to a restaurant we frequent and I order prime rib, medium well, a baked potato with butter, sour cream, and chives, and a salad with ranch dressing. This was after an almost 25 minute wait for a server to come to our table.

We waited another 20 minutes for the server to bring our salads and another 20 after that for the food to arrive.

My wife's steak and french fries were cold.

My prime rib was cooked until it was the strength of leather, the potato was less than half-cooked and cold. I called for the supervisor and raised hell, walking out without paying for the food.

We've been back since and a manager always stops by to see if everything is okay.

Sometimes it pays!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times
I usually won't send something back unless it's real bad. I remember one time some friends and I were eating at a restaurant and my friend got a nail in his food, I forget what he had ordered but luckily the manager was nice and replaced it no problem.

I did have one bad experience where I got a beetle in my salad and when I told the manager he just looked at me and said "It's just a salad beetle". I complained enough that he finally replaced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink