Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times

Advertisements

i have lived in alabama all my life 52 years, and i have never seen chicken sandwich with white sauce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't like cheesesteaks. The meat is gross--it's that "steak'um" thin-sliced stuff, bearing no resemblance to "steak" whatsoever".

I'd love to try one of those pork sandwiches, though. You can keep the green stuff. Pork and provolone would be fine.
You haven't had the right cheesesteak if you think it's "steak'um" stuff. Dinic's is divine, even with the "green stuff" (though I order the pulled beef brisket sandwich since the only pork I eat is on an Italian hoagie).

Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
For the love of god, will you non-PAers STOP PUTTING MAYO, LETTUCE, AND TOMATO on your "cheesesteaks" at your sub/hoagie shops? Not only is it not authentic, its awful.
What?? Why would someone do that? :smack : Gross.....

Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
The Cuban sandwich is our local sandwich. I've had one that was terrible, one that was good, and one that was forgettable. I'd rather have a hoagie or footlong any day.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Pork Chop John's Sandwich Shops in Butte and Southwest Montana

Real Montana people know what a "Porkie" is...you find them all over in Mom and Pop stands, in small towns.

The Sammy Zagats picked is a yuppie place, "hippie" college joint, in Helena...forget it.
Club sandwich, on round bread. Not.

Last edited by jasper12; 02-04-2014 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
You haven't had the right cheesesteak if you think it's "steak'um" stuff. Dinic's is divine, even with the "green stuff" (though I order the pulled beef brisket sandwich since the only pork I eat is on an Italian hoagie).
Yeah, DiNic's beef brisket is also TO DIE FOR. It's really hard to decide which is the best sandwich, either Italian pulled pork or their beef brisket.

Greens definitely make the sandwich. If you don't like rabe, you can get spinach or peppers which are fantastic.

This is what we're talking about and what has been rated as the 'best sandwich in America' according to some media outlets:

Pulled pork (not it's NOT BBQ):

Beef brisket:

The cheese is not crappy american "cheese product" or highly processed cold cut provolone slices, they cut sharp provolone off a huge block fresh (which is why you see many slivers of cheese)!

Out of staters and tourists--do not be discouraged if you see a mammoth line that wraps around several aisles in Reading Terminal if you try to go to DiNic's. The line moves very fast and it will be totally worth it. I've never waited more than 15-20 minutes I think to get sandwich, even on an insanely busy Sat. or Sunday. They are pros.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:25 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
OH, I've had a good cheesesteak--it was London broil with melted cheese and onions on it on a real sub roll, and it used to be my Friday lunch at the Trade deli, which was across Liberty Street from Two World Trade Center. But what they sell as "Philly cheesesteaks", at least in New Jersey, are steak'ums!

Haven't actually had one in Philly--maybe they're better there?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Yeah, DiNic's beef brisket is also TO DIE FOR. It's really hard to decide which is the best sandwich, either Italian pulled pork or their beef brisket.

Greens definitely make the sandwich. If you don't like rabe, you can get spinach or peppers which are fantastic.

This is what we're talking about and what has been rated as the 'best sandwich in America' according to some media outlets:

Pulled pork (not it's NOT BBQ):

Beef brisket:

The cheese is not crappy american "cheese product" or highly processed cold cut provolone slices, they cut sharp provolone off a huge block fresh (which is why you see many slivers of cheese)!

Out of staters and tourists--do not be discouraged if you see a mammoth line that wraps around several aisles in Reading Terminal if you try to go to DiNic's. The line moves very fast and it will be totally worth it. I've never waited more than 15-20 minutes I think to get sandwich, even on an insanely busy Sat. or Sunday. They are pros.
Man, they all look GOOD!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OH, I've had a good cheesesteak--it was London broil with melted cheese and onions on it on a real sub roll, and it used to be my Friday lunch at the Trade deli, which was across Liberty Street from Two World Trade Center. But what they sell as "Philly cheesesteaks", at least in New Jersey, are steak'ums!

Haven't actually had one in Philly--maybe they're better there?
NY sub rolls suck, just sayin'. Too soft to hold up to a cheesesteak. I think shaved ribeye is the standard meat choice in Philly (not at the touristy places maybe), but it's not to everyone's taste.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
NY sub rolls suck, just sayin'. Too soft to hold up to a cheesesteak. I think shaved ribeye is the standard meat choice in Philly (not at the touristy places maybe), but it's not to everyone's taste.
I would think they would be too hard! It's usually crusty bread. But I guess it depends upon where you get your sub. NY is a big place.

I don't remember what the Trade Deli bread was like, but I remember the steak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink