Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Where in the world did I say that? Geesh! All I say was another misconception was that Irish cooking was all boiled and potato.
Then I obviously misread your post and I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
My misconception is that I am not New Mexican, but I have adopted that culture. People find it amusing that I staunchly defend "New Mexican" cuisine as not being Mexican or TexMex.

Flour tortillas are poofy and thick, not like the California wraps they sell at the grocery store.

Green chile is a spicy vegetable, not salsa made with tomatillos.

Sopa is a form a bread pudding with colby cheese - not soup, rice, or pasta.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Anyway, my point was that all the rumors about German and Swedish dishes were untrue, but I wholly endorse the rumors about British food.
Have you ever been to the UK?
I'm guessing not, by your post. You're just judging traditional foods online by their pictures, not in real life.

I spent many years growing up in Scotland and England. I've eaten everything plus ten on your list hundreds of times and love it. Fresh haggis, freshly-made steak & kidney pud, black and white puddings, shepherd's pie, pigs in a blanket, tongue, eel, bread pudding, spotted dick, tatties and neeps, smoked fish, real porridge, the lot.

I'm hungry now!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
My misconception is that I am not New Mexican, but I have adopted that culture. People find it amusing that I staunchly defend "New Mexican" cuisine as not being Mexican or TexMex.

Flour tortillas are poofy and thick, not like the California wraps they sell at the grocery store.

Green chile is a spicy vegetable, not salsa made with tomatillos.

Sopa is a form a bread pudding with colby cheese - not soup, rice, or pasta.
Ya Im from Texas and I went to ABQ and it was obvious to me from eating it that it was not Tex-Mex.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It's easy to find a dish in any country's cuisine that's "weird and icky."
Czarnina, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
People find it amusing that I staunchly defend "New Mexican" cuisine as not being Mexican or TexMex.
Oh, yum ... Every time I got to New Mexico, I eat myself silly and come home with a half-dozen cookbooks and a dozen mail-order sources for the ingredients.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
And that makes you an expert on Irish cuisine?!?!
My dad's mom was a orphan, her dad Virginia (don't know the heritage therE working on it, but thinking Irish or English) worked the mines in Virginia and her mom was a poor country Cuban girl, they both died and she was a charity case. My grandma grew up with a very quirky wealthy blue blood family that I think just collected her, she was one extremely unhappy person, but she LOVED my grandpa and was a political super power.

Don't blame the Op on this, because as we mix with other cultures circumstances mean something.

I mean for me my grandson is a mix of Irish, Cuban( well that is in question because he can be only 1/4 ) and other heritages.

So misconception on Cuban that is SPICY, it is not! It uses citrus marinated mostly. IT is flavorful!
Irish that we only do bar food.
That Midwestern food is bland and not good, damn! I think one of the worse ones.
The Peruvian side (half of grandson) is only Ceviche! Nope a lot of excellent food!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:14 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
My heritage is Swedish and English, and all the foods we had were super good. I think there are bad examples in any nationalitie's recipes.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Another endorsement for good English food. People think it's vegetables boiled to death.

But there is Yorkshire pudding (like popovers, served warm with a roast and gravy), bubble and squeak (cabbage and potato cooked together), fish 'n' chips, great cheeses, yummy desserts and pastries.

Cornish pasties (meat pies), shepherd's pie, all kinds of pies.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Btw Dirt, Anthony Bourdain did mention how it has change a lot and while it might not be Noma, I know that there is at least a some places that I want to visit.

I would love any recipes that you would share, I have a awesome leak and bacon one, considered British for what ever reason!
Actually any recipes that are your families I would love, simply because you give dead own advice and I would trust anything you would say.

Last edited by Cubanchic; 02-07-2014 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Actually any recipes that are your families I wou

Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
I'm English as in born and bred, spent the first 39 years of my life there so here goes ...

I've met an awful lot of people here in the US who seem to think British cooking is bad, turns out they were either:
a) over there during the war when food was rationed
b) "once had someone give me steak and kidney pie" and we all know the average Americans idea about offal
c) have never been there, they just buy into whatever is popular to say.

I cook several British dishes, my family love my great British roast dinner with roasted meats and potatoes, vegetables and lashings of hot thick gravy, DH likes shepherds pie (yes made with ground lamb not beef that's cottage pie) and what could be more British than a chicken tikka masala ? delicious !!!
While we were visiting a couple of years ago my all American husband had a chance to taste haggis which he loved, the description puts so many people off but really it is quite edible.

DH is of Norwegian descent and here's what he says about his native cuisine, he equates lefse with Styrofoam and don't even mention lutefisk in front of him, apparently tha'ts toxic !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink