Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,718,339 times

Advertisements

All the preparations beforhand sounds great but if the OP is flying, I imagine they wouldn't allow her to travel with so prepacked baggies of foods and a cooler. Like what I had to do when we were in Texas. And as for it being cheaper to eat out, unless you are eating fast foods three times a day, it isn't cheaper either.

I do like the idea suggested about buying prepared foods such as frozen meals at the grocery store. Perhaps get the Sunday newspaper and cut out coupons and each of you can get your own "meal". I like the evol and Amy's frozen meals along with in the higher end grocery stores, their deli department has these dinner offerings that are pretty delicious. Like a rotisserie chicken, frozen veg and sides. Perfect meal and even cheaper than 3 or 4 of you going to a fast food joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,955,592 times
Are you talking about an electric tea kettle or a hot pot?

I think it's the hot pot, and maybe most posters here don't know what that is. It's a regular cooking pot, with a built-in electric burner at the bottom. Like a crock pot except it does higher temperatures, and temp is adjustable.

And the answer is: You can cook anything that you would cook in one pot at home. Including stuff you cook sequentially, e.g. make spaghetti sauce, transfer it to another container, then boil the pasta.

Maybe practice cooking in the thing before you go? Soups, stews, and stirfrys might be easiest.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,085,628 times
I think the greater issue isn't the cooking vessel itself, it's not having a pantry of spices, etc., that we usually all cook with. How to get something tasty, with the fewest ingredients.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,244,444 times
Just a tip about the in room coffee makers:

If you use it please wash it good first. A friend of mine is a flight attendant and she told me to never use it as they (flight attendants) frequently use them to wash their pantyhose and panties in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink