Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,773,252 times

Advertisements

Usually a choice of 4 or 5 different kinds of coffee in coffee shops. But besides flavored coffee is there a big difference. The kind of all tast the same to me. The will put down velvety for some kinds. and tart, and crisp, and smooth, etc. but when you come down to it there is no big difference that I can detect. But then it might be because I add cream and sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Yes, there is a difference. Some are bold, some are mild, some are smoky, some have different flavor notes that hit at different times in the mouth.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Of course there's always those with the finer palates that require special blends. Each to their own as with all other things. I'm not as concerned with the coffee as I am with the creamer. Picky ? Yes, but I only drink a cup a day and am no connoissseur. I just want it the way I want it. Not concerned with others reasoning or tastes.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
But then it might be because I add cream and sugar.
Yes, you have to drink the coffee black to really notice the difference. In my option, people use cream and sugar to mask the taste of bad coffee. Good coffee is smooth, rich and not bitter. It doesn’t need anything else.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Yes, you have to drink the coffee black to really notice the difference. In my option, people use cream and sugar to mask the taste of bad coffee. Good coffee is smooth, rich and not bitter. It doesn’t need anything else.
Interesting. I drink mine black with a dash of sugar. Maybe that's why I can taste the differences.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
If you drink french roast, then yeah, all coffee will taste basically the same - burnt. In order to really discern the differences in coffees from different regions and farms, you'd have to have lighter roasts that aren't masked by the carbony notes in darker roasts. To many (most) people, this just doesn't matter as coffee is a caffeine delivery system the same way tasteless light beer is simply an alcohol delivery system.

But as a general rule, Kenyans are like the fine wines in the coffee heirarchy - deep and rich even as lighter roasts. Ethiopians are generally more flowery (except Harrar region coffees which are generally overwhelming berry-like). Central Americans are more acidic, with El Salvadors often offering up sturdy chocolate notes while most of the other Centrals offer a variety of citrus-like flavors and often pretty sweet without adding sugar. Brazils are lower end and often fairly dull, but generally offer chocolate notes. Sumatrans are funky. So yes, there are vast differences between regions and varietals of beans (and farms, as altitude/microclimate has much to do with flavor), much like there are dramatic differences in wine.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
I'm no coffee snob, and I'll happily pound down Folgers if someone serves it (as long as it's strong). But during the past few years I've been experimenting with lighter roasts and, to me, exotic beans. Two of the most impressive beans from last year's adventures were a medium roast from Hacienda El Cafetal on the Galapagos Island of San Cristobal, and a light roast Ethiopian Sidama. There really are floral, fruity and earthy notes that pop out with a lighter roast.

That doesn't mean I've given up my dark roasted beans. However, there is another world of flavor out there if you want to explore it.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,486,386 times
The sugar and cream mask true coffee flavor.

There are definite differences in flavor between coffee beans. They can be bitter, acidic, fruity, winey, spicy, chocolatey, smoky. They can be light roasts (acidic), medium roasts, or dark roasts (somewhat bitter, nutty, chocolatey, caramelly).

When I drink coffee black, I like dark roasts; even balance of bitter and acidic notes; thick, smooth mouthfeel; spicy or winey flavor. Brazilian Santos coffee is a good example of spicy; Jamaican Blue Mountain is a good examples of winey.

When I drink coffee with cream and sugar, I like dark roasts; slightly bitter; chocolatey or caramelly flavor. Colombian Supremo or Guatemalan Antigua beans are good for this. The bittersweet properties of these beans are nicely complemented by a bit of cream and sugar, IMO.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
But as a general rule, Kenyans are like the fine wines in the coffee heirarchy - deep and rich even as lighter roasts. Ethiopians are generally more flowery (except Harrar region coffees which are generally overwhelming berry-like).
Kenyan AA coffee is my favorite.

Do you have an opinion of the Hawaiian Kona coffee or the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM

138 posts, read 125,362 times
Yes, there can be a big difference in taste between kinds of coffee.

I'll admit with regard to coffee, I'm in it for the caffeine. If there's no caffeine, why bother? That said, I like bold, flavorful coffee, and I always drink it black with nothing to sweeten it or otherwise change the flavor. (The exception is the occasional bit of lemon rind or occasional sprinkle of cinnamon in espresso.) Yes, even Folgers can work for me.

I had a unique coffee last summer in San Francisco. It was in a place called the Réveille Coffee Co. (and I have zero interest in it other than having had a great cup of coffee from there), a few blocks up from the Transamerica Pyramid. It was a double espresso. They offered it with a glass of sparkling water, which I accepted. While an unflavored coffee, it was unique. I can't even describe it. The sparkling water was needed for me, though I suspect that once the taste is acquired the water wouldn't be necessary.

So yes, dump the cream, dump the sugar, go for coffee if you're going to have coffee, and savor the beverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink