Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM

779 posts, read 969,751 times

Advertisements

If you cook grits be sure to use Jim Dandy quick grits. Follow the recipe on the bag. Add a little salt, add the grits to boiling water and stir while reducing heat. Stir a few more times and then turn to low with lid on pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 04:07 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,214,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So I am a southerner who has moved to South Florida and one of my girlfriends and I want to cook for one night for all of our New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania friends.

If you are from the south, what would you not leave off the menu?

If you are not from the south, what would you like to eat?

So far we have:

Fried Oysters
Fried Chicken
Cheese Grits
Collards
Fatback
Mac & Cheese (maybe)

Thanks guys for any and all suggestions. We are probably leaving biscuits off the menu because this will take place outdoors and they can be a PIA.

If you are having NY NJ folks, I can help you with that. Originally from Brooklyn. Skip the fatback.

The rest of it sounds really good! Most of us have traveled in the south and many of us love cheese grits.

Shrimp grits is another favorite. We always get them in Myrtle Beach.

You may want to think about NOT putting Pork or Ham Hocks in with the vegetables. It isn't expected in the North and there are many people in that region who eat fish, seafood, and chicken, but no pork or ted meat.

Maybe add fish. Mac and cheese sounds good to me. Home made, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
We are Low Country Southerners. We cook oysters for EVERYTHING. These will be soaked in buttermilk and hot sauce then battered and deep fried.

Love these! Enjoy them in South Carolina. Just goes to show, southern cooking is not monolithic.

The NY/NJ people eat seafood. There are exceptions, but most do. We share the same coast after all.

No I'm leaving this thread, 'cause y'all are making me hungry.

Last edited by Beretta; 02-13-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 04:55 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,397,173 times
Cornbread
Fried okra
Fried green tomatoes

Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 AM

88,197 posts, read 84,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Some type of cobbler or banana pudding for dessert

ETA: How could I forget...deviled eggs
Ha, not exactly "Southern", but I LOVE them!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,937,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, not exactly "Southern", but I LOVE them!

Deviled eggs may not have a Southern origin, but they are certainly a Southern staple. A great addition to any Southern menu.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM

47,902 posts, read 21,903,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Deviled eggs may not have a Southern origin, but they are certainly a Southern staple. A great addition to any Southern menu.
Deviled eggs are international and go all the way back to Roman history.

In the south they are popular-with a little sweet pickle relish. (....in the bible belt they.sometimes refered to as "stuffed eggs" or "dressed eggs" at church picnics to avoid mentioning the devil.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,713,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Deviled eggs are international and go all the way back to Roman history.

In the south they are popular-with a little sweet pickle relish. (....in the bible belt they.sometimes refered to as "stuffed eggs" or "dressed eggs" at church picnics to avoid mentioning the devil.
Haha! Really?!?!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM

47,902 posts, read 21,903,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Haha! Really?!?!
That was a Wikipedia factoid. I have heard them called stuffed eggs

Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,566,149 times
Make some caramel cake for dessert

Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 PM

50,085 posts, read 63,455,214 times
Besides things already mentioned, teeny ham sandwiches in sweet potato biscuits.
Get the Southern Living cookbook from the library, or one of Paula Deen's and make some things out of those.
One of my favorite desserts is from a southern living magazine and its super easy. Bake an angel food cake and cut it into 3 layers. Mix 1/3 c. sour cream with a jar of lemon curd and fill the layers. Make a cream cheese frosting and top with coconut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink