Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post

The key really is making sure the meat is dry, and the pan is hot. Even heat distribution is the principal.
^This is all you need to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Warm your plates. Have your meat at room temperature. Dab it with paper towels so it is dry. Fan full force:>) A bit of oil in the pan, in goes the steak. Count to 120 or set a clock. Turn it. 120 again for medium rare at one inch. Have whatever you want to deglaze the pan with ready - wine, beer, cognac, cream, ... Do not crowd the pan!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
The reason to avoid non-stick pans is because they don't brown meat well, and browning meat gives it a deeper, richer, more complex flavor through a chemical process called the Maillard reaction. It's similar to the browning called caramelization that fruits and vegetables containing sugar can achieve, but it's specific to protein rich foods that can support an enzymatic reaction between amino acids and sugar when heated, like meats, breads, potatoes, milk.

The irony is that to sear meat well you want it to stick to the pan at first. Chefs learn that there is a cycle to browning meat on a flat cooking surface referred to as "stick and release." First the meat sticks, then when the sear is sufficiently developed it releases from the surface, and can be easily turned.

I agree with the previous posters that if your meat is stewing, rather than frying, a hotter pan and more space between the pieces will help.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM

912 posts, read 1,524,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Thanks for the info. A lot of work went into that piece.

But I will play the old codger, here. I have been cooking steaks for something like 40 years using my methods, and they work. So, I will keep on doing it the way I have been, since according to the article, it doesn't really matter.

The key really is making sure the meat is dry, and the pan is hot. Even heat distribution is the principal.

I have also found that many people will put steaks in their freezer, and then take the out of the freezer and throw them on a grill or in a pan. Then, the temperature variation is definitely significant.
Hey, whatever works for you -- keep right along with it!

The freezer is a different story, sure. But I've not found any difference in end results (personally) when I've taken something directly from fridge to hot pan versus letting the temperature rise. The only difference in results comes when I either don't dry the meat enough or don't let the pan get as hot as it should.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Gordon Ramsay How to Cook the Perfect Steak - YouTube

heres gordon ramsey frying a steak

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think you're crowding the pan. It's actually more efficient to brown smaller amounts of meat, in more batches.
This to me is the key. I use non stick pans and stick pans, and always do it in small batches. Eg. even a stir fry of l lb of meat I do about 4-5 batches. My steak is marinated in soy sauce and oil, never room temp but sliced or scraped into small pieces.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM

284 posts, read 700,712 times
Just a thought - do you always buy your meat at the same store? If not, you might want to keep track of which store's meat cooks better. Some places will inject extra liquid into meat to "tenderize" it, especially boneless chicken breasts.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Agree with others, pan needs to be hotter, meat closer to room temp or not fresh from fridge. Essentially you are steaming your meat if it's too close to other meat or food. However, even this can be overcome with enough heat. I would space food out and don't be afaid of higher temps.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Definitely not non stick. Your meat will not stick if you wait to flip it because the cooked side will release after it browns. If it does you can add a SMALL BIT of vermouth or sherry to "deglaze" it early. OR a bit of butter. But be careful you don't release a huge smoke cloud if your pan's too hot.

ALWAYS let the meat rest at least 5 minutes after removing it and do NOT POKE A HOLE IN IT before you cut it LOL.

If you're scared, use a thermometer.

Buy a couple teeny filets to practice on. Or even "minute steaks" to master the heat thing.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You can sear meat in any (not no stick) decent pan if it is hot enough and has a bit of oil in the pan. The meat should not touch each other, and should not be messed with until it is time to turn it (It will release when ready to turn). After placing in a hot pan, turn down the heat to med-med hi, so it will not burn.
In the case of something like stew beef, for example, you will need to sear it in several batches so the pieces do not touch. That's all there is to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink