Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 AM

4,970 posts, read 5,230,912 times

Advertisements

I don't disagree with your friends. They chose a poor way to present it.

I've found people like the foods they are used to. I've known Southerners who think all other food is junk. Only the food that they or their mama made is the best. I've known other people who don't like Southern food because it is too bland or too greasy. Then there are the people who think Taco Bell is awesome. I grew up hating Mexican food because I thought Taco Bell represented Mexican Food. It doesn't. I also don't care for many of the chain restaurants because I have access to local restaurants that make their own food from scratch.

Personally, I probably would have asked if you had any local restaurants that you liked. If not available, I would have settled for a chain and eaten the food that was least offensive to me,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,102,954 times
Well, realistically, in the OPs situation, both sides need to exhibit a bit more understanding, and sensitivity. The small-town dweller obviously knows (from past experience) that someone from the "big city" isn't going to think Olive Garden is a great choice. But, the visitor should shut up and be gracious, even though the restaurant might not be to their liking.

A better way to handle the whole situation would be to present your visitor with a few choices of restaurants you like, describe which each serves, and let them pick where to go.

And like I said, Olive Garden isn't my favorite - I've only been there a few times in my life. The food's fine, nothing special ... but it's the cattle-like feeling that I dislike the most about it, as they herd people through, and move them out as quickly as possible.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:16 AM

88,208 posts, read 84,094,155 times
I think your friends were rude, although I do know where they're coming from. And you can almost always find something you'll like in any restaurant no matter what your preferences are.

Well, OK, I've never found anything I liked in a Korean restaurant. It all tastes to me like food that should have been thrown out of the fridge a week before.

I've lived all my life in NJ and worked most of my life in NYC, both of which have almost every type of food available within a short distance. BUT--the first time my Floridian sister-in-law took us to Cracker Barrel, I thought I'd died (of clogged arteries, naturally) and gone to food heaven.

There's now one somewhere in Jersey and another above Albany upstate New York. Sometimes chains work!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,788,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Well, OK, I've never found anything I liked in a Korean restaurant. It all tastes to me like food that should have been thrown out of the fridge a week before.

Funny you mention Korean. I love every asian (central, east, etc) cuisine I've tried except Korean. Maybe it is the pickling technique, I don't know, but nah, even the noodles don't do much for me.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,266,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I just hate how so many from bigger cities feel the need to blurt out how much "better" they have it in terms of food.
Here’s a tip: When dealing with an urban foodie, local places trump chain restaurants every time. I would much rather eat at local diner that has great burgers and homemade pie than an Olive Garden or Applebee’s.

The whole point of chain restaurants is they’re exactly the same no matter where you go. Some people find that comforting (which is why there’s an Olive Garden in Times Square). However, when I travel I want something local and unique. It doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive, but something I can’t get in New York.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 AM

88,208 posts, read 84,094,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Funny you mention Korean. I love every asian (central, east, etc) cuisine I've tried except Korean. Maybe it is the pickling technique, I don't know, but nah, even the noodles don't do much for me.
There's a little Vietnamese place near my mother that I want to try. I really don't know Vietnamese food. What would you suggest someone try for the first time? (OT, I know)

Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,739,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Here’s a tip: When dealing with an urban foodie, local places trump chain restaurants every time. I would much rather eat at local diner that has great burgers and homemade pie than an Olive Garden or Applebee’s.
That's not always true. I've had the worst Italian food at the local Italian restaurants in my city's Italian neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,266,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's a little Vietnamese place near my mother that I want to try. I really don't know Vietnamese food. What would you suggest someone try for the first time? (OT, I know)
I love Vietnamese soups (pho) and sandwiches (bánh mì). A really good bánh mì is absolutely delicious, but they require great attention to detail and are tricky to make well. The bread has to be fresh, crispy and slightly toasted.

Vietnamese stir-fry is similar to Chinese varieties, with some Thai influences.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,400,936 times
Its a big city mentality thing. Yes they do have more variety in big cities but their attitude is disgusting. My friend moved to NYC and has been there a few years now. She has slowly adopted this superiority complex and I can hear it in everyday conversation. The irony is shes broke because of the high cost of living, while Im fatting up my retirement fund.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:08 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,397,739 times
Nothing wrong with liking (or not liking) chain restaurants, but your friends could have used more tact. It's one thing to say, "I'd prefer something different"; it's another to say, "oh, that's garbage". And it's not just a big city/small town thing, either. My ex's sister moved to LA years ago, and even though we're fortunate here in PA to have an abundance of food choices, she would act like she was stuck in Mayberry when she would come to visit.

Sometimes it's less about the food options and more about the specific person and the image that they are trying to cultivate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink