Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,037,498 times

Advertisements

I mean, no one likes to drink the black coffee, then gulp the cream, then swallow the teaspoon of sugar. And no one eats all the ingedients for a salad by themselves. And who in their right mind would eat their toast first and then gobble up the butter afterwords? Why is this? it's not like the nutritional value could have changed any if we eat the ingredients by themselves? Or could it have? I understand cooking changes the chemicals, but we could cook the ingredients by themselves too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,942,560 times
However, if someone was to do exactly that, I bet they'd eat less overall. A separate plate for each and every ingredient. Even if someone was only having a salad, a three-component dinner and bread/butter, that would look like a lot of plates and a lot of food.

Maybe you should publish a diet book that proclaims you can eat exactly what you want. You just need to do it all separately!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,769,542 times
No one else does that? Um...oh.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,086,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I mean, no one likes to drink the black coffee, then gulp the cream, then swallow the teaspoon of sugar. And no one eats all the ingedients for a salad by themselves. And who in their right mind would eat their toast first and then gobble up the butter afterwords? Why is this? it's not like the nutritional value could have changed any if we eat the ingredients by themselves? Or could it have? I understand cooking changes the chemicals, but we could cook the ingredients by themselves too.
We could, but we don't. Because most food would taste nasty to us this way. Pretty simple, really.

Although I do have to argue one point with you: I like black coffee. Many people, in fact, like, even prefer, black coffee.
So your theory pretty much goes down the toilet, right there.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
I would not want to eat flour by itself, I like edible food.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,402,491 times
Huh? I drink black coffee. A spoonful of sugar by itself is too sweet. I also eat veggies separate if I'm in the mood for them separately.

Are you saying that it's a big deal of some sort because we combined ingredients?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 AM

5,314 posts, read 5,037,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? I drink black coffee. A spoonful of sugar by itself is too sweet. I also eat veggies separate if I'm in the mood for them separately.

Are you saying that it's a big deal of some sort because we combined ingredients?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
We could, but we don't. Because most food would taste nasty to us this way. Pretty simple, really.

Although I do have to argue one point with you: I like black coffee. Many people, in fact, like, even prefer, black coffee.
So your theory pretty much goes down the toilet, right there.
I know food would taste nasty that way, but the you'd think the nutritional content of toast and butter doesn't change if you put the butter on your toast or eat it separately. But maybe it does. Maybe toast with butter digests differently than toast and butter. That's my question.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Uh, because certain flavors complement others, and certain seasonings bring out flavors?

Your question is somewhat obtuse...you are focused on "the nutritional content doesn't change," but ignoring the "it tastes better if xyz blend of flavors is present, to most people " factor.

Yes, two slices of bread, a spoonful of peanut butter, and a scoop of jelly, eaten individually, will nourish you with the same number of calories and/or nutrients as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but it's more flavorful (not to mention portable) to combine the ingredients. Are you one of the "Food is fuel, what it tastes like doesn't matter" people?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM

61,094 posts, read 85,880,338 times
^^^ This!!!
Sorry, but your post doesn't make much sense...

Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,717,059 times
Taste is an evolutionary mechanism that we evolved as a way for our brains to get us to safely provide the body with the nutrients it needs. The flaw in your thinking is that foods are not equally nutritious when consumed separately. Combinations of foods are often nutritionally superior to individual foods and have synergistic effects when combined.

Fats make fat soluble vitamins more bioavailable, for example, so is it any wonder olive oil is so often combined with tomatoes, or that spinach and other greens are usually cooked in fat? The fats/oils make the carotenoids more bioavailable.

Rosemary herbs prevent the formation of carcinogens when cooking meat. Vitamin C helps with the absorption of iron. Black pepper and fat increase the bioavailbility of curcurmin in turmeric. Other herbs and alliums (onions, garlic, leeks, chives, etc.) help the digestion process or have anti-microbial affects that could reduce the chance of getting sick from pathogens in meat or fish.

Beans, rice, corn, wheat, peanuts, etc. are individually lacking in certain amino acids but when combined they form "complete" proteins. Hence, you have Cajun red beans and rice, Cuban black beans and rice, Mexican rice and refried beans, Japanese rice and edamame, peanut butter sandwiches, bean enchiladas, etc.

So, the reason people combine foods together is because they taste better that way. The reason why they taste better that way is because we evolved to favor them that way. The reason we evolved to favor them that way is because they're nutritionally superior that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink