Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,411,076 times

Advertisements

I make bread a couple of times a week and have problems storing it so it doesn't either sweat in plastic bags or go dry wrapped in parchment paper. I've just bought some brown lunch sacks to try out.

So my question is, how do you store your bread/baked goods to keep it fresh ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,243,195 times
Cut it in half, or even thirds, and store the other halves in the freezer in freezer bags. Each half or third will stay good for about 3-4 days in a plastic bag. We have to do this so that the loaf doesn't moulder before we eat it.

Also are you letting the bread cool down completely before you store it? There shouldn't be any steam when you cut into it or put it into the plastic bag.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:56 PM

24,031 posts, read 10,384,550 times
Let it cool on a rack. Keep it in a cotton bag or just wrap it in a clean kitchen towel.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I make bread a couple of times a week and have problems storing it so it doesn't either sweat in plastic bags or go dry wrapped in parchment paper. I've just bought some brown lunch sacks to try out.

So my question is, how do you store your bread/baked goods to keep it fresh ?
It will only sweat in plastic if the bread was not cooled sufficiently before wrapping. However, all bread contains moisture and a hard crusted product would still soften.

All breads, no matter how you wrap them are going to dry. Obviously paper makes sense to preserve the crust and crumb factor. One should never refrigerator bread for those reasons.

What I do when baking bread and to keep that nice texture was to go back to the past when I was a kid where bread was delivered by the bread man and also in sold in stores in waxed paper or some sort of parchment; there was no plastic bag wrapped bread, that I can remember. Even that less than desired and very available white pullman loaves where packaged that way. Because of that, it was not as disgustedly soft as the same product we see today, wrapped in plastic--the bread still would retain some crust and crumb.

So, remembering the past, I used the paper bags, as you suggestion, but wrapped the bread in wax paper first. There are now two layers of protection but some air circulation to preserve the texture. I latter tried parchment paper and it works just as well.

If I bake a crusted french or Italian bread, I just use paper and expect the bread to dry. Then I use the many recipes of the past to use old crusty bread--that is why those recipes were developed to use up what was left. I make croutons, crumbs, use it for soups, appetizers etc.

Livecontent

Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,300,035 times
I've been baking bread more than four decades, and I use a bread box, just like my grandma did.

Wrapping bread causes it to sweat and mold. Leaving it on the counter causes it to dry out quickly. Keeping it in a bread box is a happy medium.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I've been baking bread more than four decades, and I use a bread box, just like my grandma did.

Wrapping bread causes it to sweat and mold. Leaving it on the counter causes it to dry out quickly. Keeping it in a bread box is a happy medium.
Yea, I forgot about that old bread box. Thanks!

Livecontent

Old 02-17-2014, 02:31 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,195,385 times
When my bread is completely cooled I double wrap in it foil and keep it in the fridge. If I make a lot, I freeze them wrapped in foil.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
I miss my built-in bread box from my old kitchen ... If you don't have a bread box, a tin will do.

OP, as everyone has stated, make sure the bread is cooled completely before wrapping it. My breads do just fine in a Ziploc bag when I've cooled them on the counter overnight.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,608,035 times
I use my Great-grammy's old cotton towels that were the old promotional type, med-tight weave, 100% cotton, etc... I find they work wonders, but then again; no matter how much I bake,it's gone before it can go bad, lol.

These are the type I'm talking about.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,616,743 times
When visiting Mexico, we would go to the bakery early in the morning. An old, large, tin lined, wood box on the floor filled with fresh baked goodies so we could help ourselves and take our fresh breakfast back to the beach. I always made the bakery run for everyone just to enjoy the smell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink