Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:09 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

Neither of us like dark meat, when I roasted a chicken (or cut one up for stock) - I used to give the dark meat to a neighbor who loved it!! (She made salad, etc. w/the meat and ate the drumsticks) - she has since developed an allergy to chicken - I hate to waste it but have no idea what to do w/it. Any ideas? (I roasted a chicken tonight, yummy if I do say so myself) - we usually get 2 meals from the breast meat and can usually pick enough white meat to save for another use). As I said, I hate to waste all the dark meat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 PM

373 posts, read 589,275 times
Let's just trade. You can have the white meat from mine, and I'll take the dark from yours. I hate white meat. It goes to the puppy (he loves it).

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Why not just buy the breasts only? If you buy them in bulk, you'll save money.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Let's just trade. You can have the white meat from mine, and I'll take the dark from yours. I hate white meat. It goes to the puppy (he loves it).
I'll fight you for the dark meat. Love the legs and thighs.

My late mother-in-law was from a farm in Maine, and she used to make this dish that was the legs and thighs cooked slow in broth or water, then she took the meat out and picked the meat from the bone, then she added it back in with peas and carrots, and then she thickened it with milk and flour and served it over mashed potatoes.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Breast meat is the light beer of chicken.

I'd suggest white chili, however, if you profess not to truly not like dark meat. I doubt any suggestions from C-D will get you to eat it.

Now pass me a thigh.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Chicken Cacciatore is good with dark meat. It's buried in tomato sauce with mushrooms and peppers and onions. Put it over pasta and dump some cheese on it. Good stuff.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:31 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'll fight you for the dark meat. Love the legs and thighs.

My late mother-in-law was from a farm in Maine, and she used to make this dish that was the legs and thighs cooked slow in broth or water, then she took the meat out and picked the meat from the bone, then she added it back in with peas and carrots, and then she thickened it with milk and flour and served it over mashed potatoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Breast meat is the light beer of chicken.

I'd suggest white chili, however, if you profess not to truly not like dark meat. I doubt any suggestions from C-D will get you to eat it.

Now pass me a thigh.
<pushes everyone out of the way for a chicken thigh>

Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Thanks all, figured I was kind of stuck (I do try to sneak some dark in when I use in a recipe but if he sees it, doesn't want it. When cooking regularly, I just buy breasts, but store had B1G1F on whole stuffer roasters. Plus, when I make homemade chicken noodle soup, I start off w/a whole chicken so I can really cook it down (innards, bones, etc.) for some good stock. Wish any of you lived close, you'd get some free chicken. (No pets anymore - they've passed on - but they would have surely loved it)

Old 02-16-2014, 05:42 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Check out the thread in the Recipes forum for white chili.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I usually go in the opposite direction, but I suppose you could hide it in foods like tacos or stir fry that have different textures ....mushrooms might work well with it, in addition to the other veggies ...... it might go well in homemade soups but you'd have to walk a fine line between over- and under-cooking it.

Personally, I just eat the dark leftovers cold usually, with a bit of salt and mayo, or in a sandwich ..... but that doesn't help you, flamingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink