Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 12:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I mostly make my own dressing. There are a few store bought ones that I find palatable - I like Drew's Lime Sesame dressing. Not overly sweet, and it can pass for homemade. Same for Ken's Steakhouse Asian dressing. I use the lite version. Unlike most bottled like dressings, it is not overly sugary.

Another one that I occasionally use is Hidden Valley Ranch buttermilk based dressing. From the packet, not the jar. It's usually a crowd pleaser and I keep it on hand for entertaining or church pot lucks.

I tried a Pumpkin Spice dressing that was quite good in a Harvest Salad with Romaine lettuce, cheddar cheese, sliced apple, pumpkin seeds, and grapes.

There are a few others that are passable. But they are few and far between. I may think of others later on.

So what are your favorite store bought salad dressings? Which ones do you like, and why?

I love Hidden Valley Ranch, if it's the packet, and if it's the original recipe that calls for buttermilk when you mix it. I will not use bottled ranch dressing of any kind. Yuck!

Cardini's Original Caesar.

Soy Vey Sweet Asian Citrus, but it's not always easy to find. A good substitute is Brianna's Ginger Mandarin. Actually, I use these two dressings less on salads than in marinades. A little dressing, a little soy sauce, a pinch of brown sugar, a touch of orange juice, and some red pepper flakes. It is fabulous on grilled salmon! I also sometimes use it on ham, as I find most glazes too thick and sugary.

Or you could try this: Alessi White Balsamic Raspberry Blush Vinegar. I love to eat this on a spinach salad with bleu cheese, bacon bits, dried cherries or cranberries (or fresh strawberries when they are in season), and a handful of slivered almonds or pecan pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 12:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think that we might have been separated at birth.
Like you, I dress my salads with my choice of high-quality ingredients, rather than relying on the decidedly lower-quality ingredients in commercial bottled dressings.

When all is said and done, it is REALLY that difficult to dress one's salad with either Champagne Vinegar or lemon juice, EVOO, sea salt, freshly-ground pepper, and--possibly--some high-quality cheese?
Sometimes you want prime rib, sometimes you want a burger.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Don't hate - but I like Olive Gardens Italian.

Haven't eaten in the restaurant since the 90's.

Make all the other dressings like ranch etc.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:26 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I love Annie's green goddess dressing. I'd pour it over a plate of nothing but dandelion greens and lap it up.
Oh me too, love love love Green Goddess salad dressing.
Forgot all about that one, since I ate it as a child. Will have to go get some, thanks KaphaWoman for the reminder.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'll buy one or two in the refrigerated section but that's about it.

Ranch is just buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper and Duke's mayo.

Dressing is just too easy to make to buy it. The ones in the bottle in the aisles are so full of sugar, salt, fat, and gross stuff, I skip them.
I thought Ranch has some herbal components as well. I've seen recipes calling for dill.

There hasn't been a bottled Ranch that meets my standards, but I might try Marie's if they have one. We also used to get their Bleu Cheese dressing.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Don't hate - but I like Olive Gardens Italian.

Haven't eaten in the restaurant since the 90's.

Make all the other dressings like ranch etc.
The first time we went to Olive Garden was on our own to try it. I wanted to DRINK the dressing lol

Went 2 other times (others planned it and we couldn't say no)...the bowl of salad was smaller but still that dressing. I could eat a huge bowl of it by myself lol

Has anyone tried this? Saw this at the supermarket last week:

Old 10-20-2017, 08:42 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
The only dressing I buy for home is Bolthouse Farms. I like most of the flavors and like the "health" profile as compared to other dressings, for whatever that's worth.

https://www.bolthouse.com/products/dressings/

Old 10-20-2017, 09:24 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,398 times
Girard's Champagne Dressing is the only store bought one I buy. Once in a rare while I will buy a bottle of Dion's Ranch Dressing from the restaurant.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I also like Marzetti Simply Dressed Lemon dressing.
love, love love it!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Like many of y'all, I generally make my own..... combo of red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and olive oil..... I prefer a tart dressing and ask for oil and vinegar when I am eating out..... I also love the vinaigrette recipe from the Court of Two Sisters restaurant in New Orleans......

BUT, I discovered Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing when I bought some clearance bottles on a whim a year or two ago and man oh, man..... That stuff is DA'BOMB.......

canNOT abide sweet dressings at all......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink