U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,487,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
What's your favorite? I'm making Pannetone bread pudding with Amaretto cream sauce. Filling and yummy.
You don't make the Pannetone? just kidding
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,487,960 times
I make a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting in a fluted pan. I also make a "yule log" cake. It's a chocolate cake with a whipped cream center, iced with chocolate frosting and decorated with holly. It's a very rich, dark chocolate cake that originated in France. I'm also going to try some cookie recipes that I got from the Food Network.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:08 AM

10,751 posts, read 33,612,437 times
There are two desserts that say Christmas too me only because its what we always had.

One is a chocolate mouse pie my Mom always made for me because I don't care for pumpkin or pecan pie. The other is a jello dessert that has cool whip, cream cheese and pineapple in it.

OH and I saw chocolate chip pannatone at Target last year, I thought that would make a nice bread pudding when I saw it, I would like that better then the dried fruit one.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,087,342 times
Here is one of my favorites:

WINTER-SPICED MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKES WITH RUM-GINGER ICE CREAM

These cakes are great for parties because they can be completely assembled the day before and then quickly baked before serving, for the all-important "ooze" factor.

Ice cream

1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
1 tablespoon dark rum

Cakes

14 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
6 large eggs
6 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
Additional powdered sugar
Crystallized ginger strips

For ice cream:
Place softened ice cream in medium bowl. Using plastic spatula, fold ginger and rum into ice cream. Transfer to airtight container. Freeze ice cream mixture until firm, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep frozen.)

For cakes:

Generously butter eight 3/4-cup soufflé dishes. Stir chocolate, butter, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and white pepper in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Whisk eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Whisk in 3 cups powdered sugar, then chocolate mixture, then flour. Transfer batter to prepared dishes, filling to top and dividing equally. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Bake cakes until batter has risen above dish, top edges are dark brown, and centers are still soft and runny, about 15 minutes, or about 18 minutes for refrigerated batter. Run small knife around cakes to loosen.

Allow cakes to rest in dishes 5 minutes.

Using hot pad and holding dish very firmly, place plate gently atop 1 cake and invert onto plate. Repeat with remaining cakes. Dust with powdered sugar. Top with crystallized ginger. Serve cakes with rum-ginger ice cream.

Makes 8.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 AM

13,036 posts, read 23,264,461 times
My two favourite French Christmas desserts

Chestnut & Chocolate Yule Log

No one will be able to resist this dessert at Christmas! A deliciously rich and chocolatey alternative to Christmas pudding.

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
75g caster sugar
50g plain flour
25g cocoa powder

Filling:
*1 tin chestnut puree
50g caster sugar
150ml double cream

To decorate:
150ml double cream
150g plain chocolate
3 chocolate flake bars, crumbled
icing sugar to decorate

HOW TO COOK IT
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and baking parchment line a 33x23 (13x9in) Swiss roll tin.

2. Place a large bowl over a pan of hot water, add the eggs and sugar, then use an electric whisk to beat until the mixture is thick enough to leave a ribbon trail when the beaters are lifted.

3. Sift the flour and cocoa over the egg mixture and gently fold in. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 15mins or until the mixture bounces back when lightly touched in the centre.

4. Tip the cake out onto a sheet of baking parchment, peel away the lining paper, then roll up the sponge along the long edge in the fresh piece of paper and leave to cool on a wire rack.

5. Prepare the icing: place the cream and chocolate in a small pan and gently heat, without boiling, stirring until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Leave until cold then chill for 10 mins.

5. For the filling, beat the caster sugar into the chestnut puree. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, then fold in the chestnut puree.

6. Unroll the sponge, then spread the chestnut cream over the top. Roll the cake back up to form a log shape. Place seam side down on a serving plate.

7. Lightly whip the chilled icing until it is thick, then spread it over the top and sides of the cake. Scatter the broken flakes over the icing, then lightly dust with icing sugar. Serve chilled.

Even better with a dash of Grand-Marnier or Amaretto added to the mixture

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Serve 4 Hot Vegetarian Alcohol Dessert Puddings

Ingredients:

40g/1½ oz Butter

25g/1oz Plain Flour

300ml/10 fl.oz Milk

100g/4oz Caster Sugar

4 Large Eggs, separated

5 tbsp Grand Marnier

A pinch of Salt

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 375F, 190C, Gas mark 5.

2. Melt the butter in a heavy pan then stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Reduce the heat to very low then gradually add the milk ,little by little, stirring all the time. Cook until thickened.

3. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then stir in the sugar, separated egg yolks and Grand Marnier.

4. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and whisk to the firm peak stage. Fold the whites very gently into the liqueur mixture incorporating well.

5. Turn the mixture into a lightly buttered ovenproof dish, smoothing the top. Bake on a tray just above the middle shelf of the oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 92,029 times
I make peanut butter and chocolate truffles and they are always gone. Easy but delicious.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 AM

43,157 posts, read 53,793,266 times
I love plum pudding with hard sauce.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,763,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love plum pudding with hard sauce.
Me too!
The first time I ever had hard sauce, the whole concept of it (sauce that's hard) fascinated me.
I have never made my own plum pudding but maybe I will try it some day--I usually am intimidated by anything that involves using a mold.
For the hard sauce, I usually use the Joy of Cooking recipe.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,561,203 times
I am making candy cane cookies, peanut butter fudge, and traditional frosted sugar cookies

Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM

3,928 posts, read 10,912,853 times
Default Pudding Dessert

In addition to the ever requested homemade candies for family, friends & neighbors, my husband always asks for the 4-layer pudding dessert. The recipe is really versatile, though I use the pistachio pudding at Christmas for the color. I've also made it with chocolate, lemon, butterscotch and strawberry. Here's my recipe for anyone who might want it and doesn't have it:

PUDDING DESSERT

FIRST LAYER:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 stick melted butter or margarine
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix the above together and press into a 9x12 glass dish. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool to room temp.

SECOND LAYER:
2/3 cup powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese softened

Mix together and spread on first layer.

THIRD LAYER:
2 small packages instant pistachio pudding (or your favorite flavor)
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 large container of Cool Whip

Mix until thickened and spread over second layer.

FOURTH LAYER:
Top with remaining Cool Whip
Sprinkle with chopped nuts (if desired)

Cover and refrigerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink