Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,884,946 times

Advertisements

While I know that there are a lot of bad cooks out there -- previous comments as proof (wow! and hahahaha!) -- I always think that the people on shows like that are making up how bad they are and makes me think of the Jon Lovitz "Master Thespian" character yelling out "ACTING!!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:08 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,234,578 times
I know someone who is the worst cook, but not because she lacks skill or technique. She just believes that everything should be cooked to a cinder to avoid food poisoning. No matter what you say to convince her otherwise, everything MUST be overcooked. Beyond well done. It's disgusting, and a waste of good food.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,578,355 times
When I was in my late teens I worked taking care of a woman who was ill. Her husband once asked me to make spaghetti for their dinner and heat up some sauce--jar made. I boiled the spaghetti al dente' and heated up the sauce. Poured some on top, made a salad maybe. He raved, I mean raved about the spaghetti, how it was perfect. Went on and on. I thought wow and I still remember that incident. I guess he must have been the worst cook in the world, or the city I lived in then.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:05 PM

802 posts, read 637,076 times
My mom. Bless her heart. She lives in Southern Florida. We're in north Idaho. Leg of lamb is my very favorite dish of all time. I don't buy it or make it, because it's so expensive and husband doesn't like it.
A girlfriend and I flew down to visit my mom a couple of years ago. She was absolutely tickled pink to let us know that she had picked up a New Zealand leg of lamb. Oh, my goodness, it was a beauty. Our mouths were watering for that gorgeous hunk of meat all day. We got home and sat down at the dinner table ... my mother had MICROWAVED that beautiful piece of meat. My girlfriend and I just looked at each other and wanted to cry. I can't even describe the texture of it. We snuck most of it to the dog under the table.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 PM

313 posts, read 495,161 times
I see your POV, OP. Both of my parents were excellent cooks, and when I feel like cooking something I just do it, and it's always delicious. My bf told me he "can't cook" and one time I asked him to make us dinner, no pressure, since I had a backup if it was terrible. He did, and made the most delicious fish tacos I've ever had. I really don't understand how people literally don't know how/are terrible cooks. To me it's second nature!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,805,075 times
I wonder if it's more about not caring and/or dividing their time. My cousin will burn open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches every time. That's not because she couldn't get it right, but because she won't just stand in front of the toaster oven for the two minutes it would take to toast, or set an alarm, or do anything but walk away and start on some other project and only remember about the grilled cheese when she smells it burning. This is true of everything she makes. And like the example with the microwaved lamb - mom probably thought that it would be so much less time in the microwave, so went with that instead of the oven.

I think the crock pot was made for people like that. Throw stuff in the pot and turn it on low and you don't have to come back to it for hours.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM

20,855 posts, read 28,175,323 times
My MIL was not the greatest cook but she does have a few dishes I love. Her meatloaf, lasagna, eggplant parmesan and pot roast are great. As a kid my husband said she would boil canned or frozen veggies to death. Till this day the only canned veggie I can bring in the house is green beans. My mom was a terrible cook when she first got married, then with help from her MIL (my grandma) she became the best cook ever and still is. She is a great baker as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,745,148 times
My sister is one of those scary cooks. When you eat at her house, you need a tetanus shot, a bottle of immodium (the one from Sam's with 350 pills), and a bucket to keep on your lap on the way home.

In all fairness, the only time we ever eat at her house is Thanksgiving, so maybe it's just the pressure of cooking the big meal that makes her fail at it. Out of the last three time she's cooked the meal, twice her turkey was raw and the other time she had an electric knife accident and there was blood all over the food.

She and her husband eat at restaurants all the time. She takes the leftovers, mashes them all together regardless of content or seasoning, puts them in tortillas, and her husband takes that to work all week.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,331,131 times
This thread is hilarious! honestly I don't know a lot of people who can't cook. Both my grandma's were wonderful cooks. After my grandpa died 12 years ago my granny declared she would never cook another meal again because he tied her to the kitchen for 50 years and he worked shift work and sometimes she had to make hot meals at 11 pm for him. So I would have to say she isn't the best cook any more just because she loathes the kitchen,I don't even ask her to touch a dirty dish because I know she hates it.

As far as the Worst cooks in America. I love watching that show but I honestly don't think I could keep up because they move so fast. I guess they edit it that way, the demonstrations seem easy but when you look at the cooks they act like they are clueless. This season seems to be better then last,the girl that won last season looked like a space alien and totally got on my nerves by the way she acted.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,399,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister is one of those scary cooks. When you eat at her house, you need a tetanus shot, a bottle of immodium (the one from Sam's with 350 pills), and a bucket to keep on your lap on the way home.

In all fairness, the only time we ever eat at her house is Thanksgiving, so maybe it's just the pressure of cooking the big meal that makes her fail at it. Out of the last three time she's cooked the meal, twice her turkey was raw and the other time she had an electric knife accident and there was blood all over the food.

She and her husband eat at restaurants all the time. She takes the leftovers, mashes them all together regardless of content or seasoning, puts them in tortillas, and her husband takes that to work all week.
I wouldn't be surprised if those burritos find the office trash can and he goes out and picks something up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink