Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:49 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,776 times

Advertisements

After reading that Folgers is # 1 selling coffee I decided to try it. Just read on the can that Folgers recommends refrigerating coffee container after opening. I have never heard of refrigerating coffee. I will probably use the size container I purchased in about 60 days. Seems to me it would add moisture and change flavor. Anyone refrigerate their coffee containers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 04:59 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
I usually store my Eight O'Clock ground coffee bag right in the cabinet. Never thought about refridgerating. Interesting

Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
No but the coffee in this house does not last long enough to get cold in the fridge.
My Aunt Dolly does though and has as long as she has been drinking coffee which is a lot of years, she is 94.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:12 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,016 times
Sealed bag to grinder to filter for me. I buy 2lbs of fresh roasted beans at a time and seal one up in a ziploc bag and store it in a cabinet. I'd never freeze since coffee can absorb odors and the humidity in the freezer.
There has been a of debate about this. You can run a taste test to see if it makes any difference: >2 week old coffee sitting in a cabinet or 2 week old coffee that was in the freezer.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 AM

120 posts, read 248,611 times
Yes I refrigerate mine. I'm not sensitive enough to notice the difference but I figure if the people selling me the product say it should be refrigerated, then I can't see it harming the flavor.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,875 times
Yes

Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
You should never refrigerate your coffee. As other have already mentioned the grounds will absorb odors from other foods in the fridge - Kind of like the box of baking soda some people keep in their fridge. This will affect the taste over time. Just keep the coffee sealed in a right container in your pantry.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob, but respect other people coffee choices. Still, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a bag of locally roasted coffee like Larry's Beans, Counter Culture, Carrboro Coffee, or Raleigh Coffee Co. It is best to grind the beans just before brewing, but even if you buy this coffee pre ground (and many stores have grinders you can use for free) you will be worlds ahead since it is very fresh compared to the canned stuff you get in the grocery store which is months if not years old.

Enjoy!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You should never refrigerate your coffee. As other have already mentioned the grounds will absorb odors from other foods in the fridge - Kind of like the box of baking soda some people keep in their fridge. This will affect the taste over time. Just keep the coffee sealed in a right container in your pantry.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob, but respect other people coffee choices. Still, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a bag of locally roasted coffee like Larry's Beans, Counter Culture, Carrboro Coffee, or Raleigh Coffee Co. It is best to grind the beans just before brewing, but even if you buy this coffee pre ground (and many stores have grinders you can use for free) you will be worlds ahead since it is very fresh compared to the canned stuff you get in the grocery store which is months if not years old.

Enjoy!
I agree re: local coffee. You WILL taste the difference. Larry's and Counter Culture are my faves so far. I need to try Carrboro.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,016 times
I'm a big fan of Crema Coffee roasters in Cary. They roast a few times a week, if not daily.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
The best thing to do with coffee is to buy whole beans and keep them in airtight ceramic containers in the pantry. Never freeze and don't refrigerate them. Grind them as you need them and you'll get better coffee.

Bed, Bath and Beyond sells a set of the ceramic containers for about $15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink