Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the chains. Years ago, we lived in a dumpy little Mississippi town whose only "chain" was McDonald's. It was a real treat to drive sixty miles to a place that had REAL chain restaurants like Red Lobster & Applebee's. You would be surprised what you miss when you don't have it--whether you would've ever gone there or not!

As far as this list, most of these are available, plus many, many more where I now live. And the ones that aren't, often have products at the grocery store--Skyline chili, Graeter's Ice Cream, White Castle, etc.
Actually, the only White Castle I've ever had was from the grocery store--I'm from the land of Krystal's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Well actually no. Take White Castle and In-n-out for example. Each presents a unique version of a common staple. When I visit LA or the Midwest, I grab one if I have time. Both are good, but not worth making a regular trip too if they were around me. Granted I'm in a large city and I travel a bunch.

Many of these chains have decent food but nothing that really warrants more than a couple 'special trips'.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:09 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I'm sitting here eating a chocolate covered glazed donut from my favorite local shop and no chain donut store can touch it.
One advantage, if you will, that a place like Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts has on local bakeries is that local bakeries often close up early, where the chains are open late, some are open 24 hours. My favorite donut shop in the whole wide world bakes only so many donuts each day, and closes when they're out. If you don't get there by 10 or 11 a.m., you are most likely SOL. Others will stay open until maybe 2 or 3 in the afternoon. If you're looking for a late-afternoon or late-night donut, the chains are your only choice.

Oooh, that reminds me - I'd like to have a Timmy Horton's around here ... That would give Dunkin' Donuts a run for their money. A Krispy Kreme a little closer would be nice, too.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The only one on the map I've heard good things about, but never tried is In and Out Burger. Many on the list are so so. We are about to get a Tijuana Flats, which I never heard of, but we'll give it a try.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:55 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I'd be happy if Golden Corral came up to MN.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Sonic, white castle, dunkin donuts, Ralph's, Golden corral, Rita's, Einstein Bros., DQ, Buffalo wild wings, are on LI already,Chik Fil A may be coming to LI. The other's I never heard of. One place I wish would shut down is Golden Corral, food is yucky! Never went to Sonic and I most likely won't, Einstein bro's have not been to, Buffalo wild wings never there either and DQ only had the ice cream once years ago in PA. I do like Wawa, I was in a Wawa in Delaware and that's where I discovered their cream cheese filled pretzels. Yummy! You can order them online from Schwan's.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Sonic, white castle, dunkin donuts, Ralph's, Golden corral, Rita's, Einstein Bros., DQ, Buffalo wild wings, are on LI already,Chik Fil A may be coming to LI. The other's I never heard of. One place I wish would shut down is Golden Corral, food is yucky! Never went to Sonic and I most likely won't, Einstein bro's have not been to, Buffalo wild wings never there either and DQ only had the ice cream once years ago in PA. I do like Wawa, I was in a Wawa in Delaware and that's where I discovered their cream cheese filled pretzels. Yummy! You can order them online from Schwan's.
I like Einstein's and breakfast there frequently, but I'm fairly certain that were we to move, our new city would likely offer something equally good. I've lived in several different parts of the country, and a great-tasting bagel was never terribly difficult to find.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
People went absolutely bananas around here when a White Castle opened up in our area. The drive through lines were absolutely ridiculous. When I finally tried it, it was rather anticlimactic. Damn you, Harold and Kumar!

Nothing wrong with chains, but I'd rather see more options for ethnic food. Although I do like the Brunswick Stew at Smokey Bones, I don't like it enough to drive an hour out of my way.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
LOL. I think most of their food taste like buffet food (greasy and salty) but I think I would rather starve than go back there. Last time I went to a different location in Port St Lucie FL and the food was extra disgusting in that location. To make matters worse this trashy man in another table was burping out loud.

Sonic's food is bad, don't try it. Buffalo Wild wings is OK but we get a lot trashy locals in our area that also burp out loud while eating. Either everybody in my state Florida is trashy or Americans are losing their table manners.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:55 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Buffalo Wild wings is OK but we get a lot trashy locals in our area that also burp out loud while eating.
How could you tell? Any time I go to Buffalo Wild Wings, I can't hear the people at my own table, much less anyone else's table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink