Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times

Advertisements

So ABCNews.com posted an article on the "regional" restaurants we wish were bigger national chains. I use the term regional loosely here because many of these places are pretty much nationwide, except for a few states. I got a kick out of some of their choices. I mean, Dunkin Donuts, Golden Carral, Buffalo Wild Wings?? Seriously?? White Castle, Sonic & Waffle House?? Maybe it's because I've eaten at all the places I just mentioned and never thought the food was anything special. I don't know. I just thought some of their choices were laughable.

Foodie Heaven: Local, Regional Restaurants We Wished Would Expand - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
I actually like a bunch of chains and don't hold any automatic negative views towards chain restaurants. but most of the ones on that map aren't too interesting. the ones not in my area, none of them would I say "I wish they were here." I used to go to chevys for Mexican when it was convenient, I like it but since I moved I haven't gone out of my way for it. joe's crab shack is new to the area and ive enjoyed it a couple of times.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
No, I'm good on the chain restaurants. Local places are so much better!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Once I no longer lived in the upper Midwest, I missed Culver's, but they've since expanded a great deal, and now it's easier to get.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:14 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
We just got dunkin donuts back in our city after 20 years and i couldnt be happier

Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
We no longer have a Chik-fil-a and I really like that place. We have a Culver's but I never go to it.
Some of the ones listed are on my "do not eat there" list. And, many other chain places, which are not on the list, are on my "EAT THERE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE LIST".

It seems the entire nation's appetite to eat out, is insatiable. We keep searching for the best place to eat with not many worries of the result of eating out. I personally worry about the calories, the carbs, the sodium content, and especially about the money to be spent when eating out. It's hard for two persons to go out to a nice chain restaurant and eat a really nice meal for under $20.00 and most times you can't touch it for under $25 to $30 per meal. If we would go 3 times a week, that's a lot of money. So most of the time, I have to make do making copycat recipes of those places.

Chain restaurants can vary greatly from store to store, depending upon the management and the persons employed. Poor quality of either can break the store and cause it to close. Through the years, America lost a lot of good chain restaurants. In the next years, there will be lots of other losses, with the powerful chains gobbling up the business. Then, I think we will be left with fewer and fewer chain places and our choices will be limited relative to menus and prices.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:06 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
Oh, Wawa. During my brief stint as a resident of NJ, I loved Wawa. I do miss that place.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Oh, Wawa. During my brief stint as a resident of NJ, I loved Wawa. I do miss that place.
What kind of restaurant is a Wawa?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Kinda wish we had a Dave and Buster's in our area.

Getting tired of all the KFC's that spring up and wouldn't mind having at least a Boston Markets.

When I see certain items and the sales of various food/drink items going on at Sonic, makes me wish that we had one in area on way home from work. Same with either a Chipotle or Cal Tort. Used to have a Cal Tort but not anymore. Sure miss it too.

That's about all I can think up for now.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
We live near Louisville, KY - we have the most amazing restaurant scene - many are farm-to-table restaurants with local bison, beef, poultry, veggies and fruit - cheeses....great ethnic restaurants too - just amazing. We do eat lunch once in a while at Chipotle and also Jason's Deli (they also purchase local, organic things for their amazing salad bar)....other than that - we eat local food at local restaurants! Love them and the fact that we are supporting our local business people and farmers. Yeah - go farmers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink