Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times

Advertisements

no brand loyalty here, I get it on sale. And I don't buy pre made food except breads, Powerade and ice cream, butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheeses, deli meat on occasion, brown and serve sausage and condiments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
So we did the food snobbery...now name some brands that you have tried that you will not buy again.

For me:
Generic Chocolate Chips
Random thoughts...

It cracks me up that people are all exercised about the inclusion of Miracle Whip in this list, when Miracle Whip is a trademarked Brand Name for their "salad dressing" that cannot be used by any other company (and my personal mirth is amplified by the fact that the "Miracle" in the name Miracle Whip relates to this processed soybean oil product originally being sold for half the price of actual mayonnaise because of its cheap ingredients.)

On the other hand, Generic Chocolate Chips is not a brand at all.

Shearer's Homestyle Potato chips are made with partially hydrogenated soybean oil. Other brands are made with other kinds of oil, such as peanut oil, safflower oil, corn oil, whale blubber... (hard to find, I know)... and there is no other single factor which has more affect on potato chip taste. There's no reason to be in mystery about a food, even if you already threw out the wrapper... you can look up the nutrition label for most products online, including their ingredient list.

Chef Hector Boiardi, born in Italy, was famous in Cleveland in the 1930s for his beloved restaurants and "gotta have it" prepared spaghetti sauce. Creating a Brand Name out of a phonetic rendering of his last name, to popularize his gourmet reputation, his prepared sauces and canned pasta dishes were vanguards of the era of convenience foods that offered "Heat 'n Eat" ease, as well as simplicity of taste. This is a prime reason why they are still popular foods with many kids, for whom more aggressive and complex tastes are often a turn-off.

Bear Creek Soups are loved by some, not by others. It's always interesting to me to see this kind of pronounced division in tastes. That's all. Just a curious thing to me.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-03-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 04:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

On the other hand, Generic Chocolate Chips is not a brand at all.

True but it is more than one brand from individual "stores". This might be more accurate for you. I don't like Publix choc chips, Food Lion choc chips or the DG choc chips.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:29 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
Five Brothers Alfredo Sauce. I haven't eaten it in years because it tastes like someone drove through it and spun their tires, and put it back in the bottle.

I agree with the people who mentioned Sabra's hummus. I'd rather get Athenos or the fresh made hummus from the Middle Eastern bakery.

Banquet frozen entrees. There's a reason that they're so cheap.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Here's another vote for Sabra's hummus tasting weird. But it's really not hard to make your own, so I usually do. I think a lot of prepared foods are too sweet, which for some reason I find more annoying than the fact that they also have a lot of salt in them. Yoplait, as others have already mentioned; practically any American-made packaged cookie; many peanut butters (why add SUGAR?), many boxed cereals.

Someone else mentioned a frozen Asian dish they didn't like. I have yet to try any brand of something claiming to taste "just like a Chinese restaurant" that DOES. The rice comes out tasting like Minute Rice. The chicken or fish is in such tiny pieces it's unrecognizable. And the sauces are all ... what else? ... too sweet. For some reason, Italian-style dinners translate better to frozen packages, Bertolli's for example.

While I like many things I buy at Trader Joe's (high marks for frozen vegetables that when cooked taste as good as fresh), I have continually been disappointed with their baked goods. I've never had a loaf of bread, a muffin, a scone, or a dessert that was any better than what I could get at my local supermarket. Usually far worse. Weird textures and flavors. The only thing like that I like are those windmill-shaped almond/cinnamon cookies they sell. Those are delicious to me. They are not in the baked goods area, but on the shelf above the frozen food bins near where the candies are.

If the price is right, I might buy a food item at Walmart if it's a packaged national brand like yogurt or crackers or some frozen foods, but I would never buy meat or produce there. One thing I notice about the national packaged brands, they always have sell-buy dates much sooner than the typical sell-by dates in other supermarkets. I think they're getting a discount by taking the older stuff. So I'm always careful of sell-by dates there. Like coffee, for instance. A good price, but usually expiring in a week. Not that I think that makes it dangerous, but still at the Safeway you'd have a much later date.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Chef Boyardee. When I was a kid I used to see commercials for Chef Boyardee and they always looked so good on tv so I wanted to try it. Well I finally bought myself a can of their ravioli when I first moved out on my own, and it was without question the most disgusting thing I had ever eaten in my life. If there's one product that encapsulates everything wrong with the American food industry, a can of Chef Boyardee would be it.
-O

It's been decades, literally, but in my memory, both Chef Boyardee and Franco-American (i.e. Spaghetti-Os) taste, well, exactly like acid reflux.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
There are 2 regional brands that i absolutely will not buy. Hood Dairy products and Cutrufello's cheese. There are others, but i'm too tired to list them right now.

Quote:
Other companies actually do make their own version of the same product (usually billed as "whipped salad dressing"). Walmart's Great Value store brand is just one. Could be that that poster buys the house brand version of the product rather than the Miracle Whip brand. I personally think the product itself is repellent, no matter what label it's getting sold under, but to each, his or her own.
Black Flag? Raid?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Maxwell House ground coffee
Sunlight dish soap
Hunt's ketchup (too vinegary)
Nalley's "Hot" chile con carne with beans (very odd taste)
Van Kamp's hickory flavor pork & beans (more odd taste)
Campbells Chunky NE clam chowder (lacked clams and clam flavor)

And Vegemite. I don't know how one gets accustomed to something that salty.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
There are store brand equivalents of Kraft's Miracle Whip. It is generally sold as "salad dressing".

Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I make almost everything from scratch, so I don't know about any frozen or boxed brands of anything, but there is one brand of wine I refuse to buy, not that I drink much at all, and that's Kendall-Jackson. It has nothing to do with the taste of any of their varietals, but the fact that they cut down a huge area of old growth oaks in California without going through the proper California EIR procedures, which undoubtedly would have disallowed much of the cutting without requiring wildlife habitat mitigation measures.

I also don't buy any brand of chocolate unless it's fair trade. I don't like to benefit cocoa producers who use child labor so I can have cheap chocolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink