Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No one was offended, not sure why you took it that way.
Put me in the "what a totally odd question" as dinner time or a late snack are the only times I eat CC. Some really odd questions on this forum in general.
Can't believe someone said they won't try it because of how it LOOKS? Really? You sound like my 3 YEAR OLD.

Get out of your comfort zone. Missing out on a lot of great food if you judge it by how it looks.
I didn't think this thread was an odd question/statement but I found the above bolded odd. I have heard many a time from chefs that a food has to look good. I don't mind how food looks but I do know many that won't try something as it "looks" bad. And they aren't acting like a 3 year old. They politely decline and try something else. Which is totally their choice and hardly odd or childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
Somewhere around here I have a recipe for cottage cheese pancakes, I think it was on an egg carton about 30 years ago. Use to make them for my kids because they were healthier and they were really good! If I find it, I will post. This isn't it but its close, think my daughter in law must have it.

• 1 cup unbleached flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • Canola oil cooking spray

You must be signed in to use shopping lists. Sign in or create account

Method:
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese, milk and oil. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk until just blended.

Spray a large skillet or griddle with cooking spray then heat over medium heat. Working in batches, form each pancake by spooning about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet. Cook, flipping pancakes once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to plates and serve.

Last edited by mag32gie; 03-07-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
The only way I like it is with jam of any kind, but especially strawberry. Much better than with ordinary fruit.

When I was younger in the 60s to 80s, a cottage cheese and canned fruit plate for lunch was a woman's signal that she was on a diet, she would also put a deprived unhappy look on her face, and so she would get praise from other women. I don't know why it worked that way, it's fairly high in calories and thus not an appropriate diet food. Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Cheese, cottage, lowfat, 2% milkfat

Old 03-07-2014, 02:52 PM

198 posts, read 273,947 times
Default Re: Cottage Cheese

I grew up in the dairy state, and cottage cheese was always served as a side dish. However, at times now I have cottage cheese with peaches or pineapple...and consider that my main dinner. I should eat it more as it is a great source of calcium, and I don't care for milk.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Mmm....I love cottage cheese! My grandma is from MI and we often had cottage cheese in the house

Old 03-07-2014, 02:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I wanted to add that as a diabetic, cottage cheese and sliced turkey make an excellent dinner for me.

As a teen I used to eat cottage cheese sandwiches. Weird, I know! I never got the whole "sweet and savory" with mixing fruit and cottage cheese. I know some people love it, but it's not for me.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Here is what I like to do with cottage cheese (besides eating it with fruit and cinnamon):

- Cook up some farfalle noodles
- Drain the noodles
- In the same pot you cooked the noodles add some butter, onions, and garlic
- Cook onions to your liking (I like them caramelized)
- Add the noddles back in
- Add cottage cheese and stir in until it melts some

One of my favorite pasta meals!
This reminds me of something my grandmother used to make with left-over noodles (she made her own from scratch). Grandma was born in Hungary, then spent the rest of her life in Western Pennsylvania (I see you're from Pittsburgh, bmantz). She'd melt butter in a frying pan, add the noodles, sprinkle the mixture with dry cream of wheat (the cereal) and fry it until the cream of wheat was brown and kind of crispy. Sometimes she would have caramelized onions (or scallions) in there, too. We kids (who only ate cream of wheat as a breakfast, cooked with milk, thought she was nuts. Now that I'm an adult, I can see it's a creative side dish. Yours sounds good, too. Healthier than Alfredo sauce, but probably similar in taste.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I love cottage cheese, could eat it every day for breakfast or lunch. But I noticed many posters on here have cottage cheese as a side dish with dinner. What gives?
It tastes good any time of day. LOL! I find that more normal than some people that occasionally eat eggs for dinner.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Well, I wouldn't eat it anywhere, anytime, for any reason but my husband loves it BUT only if there is pineapple in it. He considers it somewhat of a "salad" and often requests it instead of a green salad (which I love). Technically, I think it counts as protein since it's considered a cheese, but I'm probably wrong there. Clue me in, please!!!
I just checked the tub of cottage cheese in my fridge and it has 13 grams of protein per serving. You are correct!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 PM

23 posts, read 34,824 times
I enjoy eating cottage cheese as a side with my meals. I never have eaten it for breakfast before as I think that this is an odd choice. I guess maybe you feel it is odd with your dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink