Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm doing a veggie garden and with a little planning upfront, it will take very little time to maintain the garden.

Many gardens can be set up to be self watering. Seeds cost pennies. Folks are doing verticle window garden in NYC.

There is also hydroponics. No yard or soil needed. In the space of a n average closet, a person could grow 5+ differen crops inside their homes.
If only having seeds was all there is to it. To have a productive garden, you can figure about $1-2 per sq. ft. annually depending on what you grow.

Closet hydroponics... seriously? The cost of energy alone makes it horrendously inefficient. If you aren't using the sun, don't even bother.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
People on SNAP and who have HOAs don't need to grow their own. They just need to buy locally, from farmer's markets. Nobody is required to use supermarkets. They don't need any land or gardening tools. Buying local, whether organic or not, strips profits from the huge agribusiness interests, and keeps your money in the community, instead of some Wall Street bank. It enriches your community, instead of the giant corporations..

Why would SNAP recipients want to use their money at "farmers" markets where the prices are 2-3x HIGHER than in their supermarkets?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 AM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
how does this work? Don't vegetables take ages to grow, how can this be possible on the small amount of land most people have at their disposal?

Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why would SNAP recipients want to use their money at "farmers" markets where the prices are 2-3x HIGHER than in their supermarkets?
hey why not, they can buy lobsters and filet mignon steaks,

seriously... up here, its a short growing season,, not many farmers markets this time of year,,
and i've participated in farmers markets, it can be quite the rip-off..

you make an excellent point,,, but i think maine already allows the snap/ebt cards to buy from farmers markets... theirs so much fraud in the system, those that truly need the help ...cant get it.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
how does this work? Don't vegetables take ages to grow, how can this be possible on the small amount of land most people have at their disposal?
im no professional farmer,,,but i think you put seeds in the soil, water them every now and then

Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
It's very possible. Most vegetables take 30-60 days to start to produce, and then continue to do so for awhile. For example it takes about 45-55 days for my cucumber plants to start to produce, but then they continue to produce loads of cucumbers for a couple months or so (depending on the variety). Some weeks I get 15-30 cucumbers with just 5 or 6 plants. Squash is the same, and produces like crazy.

Things like lettuce and radishes grow fairly quickly. I start thinning out the lettuce I plant about 15 days after planting it, and I eat the small leaves I pull out.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
People in apartments really can't grow much, unless they have a plot in a community garden. But they can grow herbs in the window and some salad greens. That's better than nothing.

Food stamps can be used to buy seeds and bare root fruit trees, for those with low income and some land.

A lot of food can be grown with not much time invested if the beds are set up right. I know two people who produce multiple tons of fresh vegetables for their local food bank in a few free hours after work. One uses raised beds and the square foot gardening system and the other is using grow boxes (earth boxes?). Both have amazing photos posted over at Garden Web, if anyone wants to search for them.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:44 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Urban Agroecoloy: 6,000 lbs of food on 1/10th acre - Urban Homestead - Urban Permaculture - YouTube

I hope that those on food stamps (with access to arable land) will get the chance to see this video, and be inspired by it
Cool video. If I ever buy a house I'd love to do something similar, although not quite to this extreme. You can't run an operation that size and have a full time job somewhere else. Many local ordinances also prevent livestock from being able to be kept on your property. Totally give this guys 1000 ^5s, and agree, we've become much too dependent on the industrial complex to generate our food that's destroying our environment and our health. Why do we still demand foods that aren't in season that have to be shipped 10000 miles and waste tons of fuel? It would be good if every community had at least a local garden dedicated to something like this. Let's end the excuses for not trying at least.

It's up to us now to preserve our livestock and crop genetic diversity. Big Ag and GMOs are going to wipe out many breeds of vegetables and fruit if we don't do anything.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:59 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Love it, especially the goats and chickens.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
seriously... up here, its a short growing season,, not many farmers markets this time of year,,and i've participated in farmers markets, it can be quite the rip-off..

you make an excellent point,,, but i think maine already allows the snap/ebt cards to buy from farmers markets... theirs so much fraud in the system, those that truly need the help ...cant get it.

Since I have had more time this past year, I decided to walk to the town square and check out the farmers market. One girl tried to sell me her homegrown "heirloom" tomatoes for $3.99/lb. They had all the classic look of being overwatered.

I passed on those and headed to my local Mexican market where a good quality Roma tomatoes were going 2# for $1. And they were locally grown.

My favorite was at the Olympia, WA farmers market where "fresh crop cherries" were $4.99/ lb at the start of the season. The same packers label was only $2.99 at the supermarket a block away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink