Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM

280 posts, read 686,198 times

Advertisements

Urban Agroecoloy: 6,000 lbs of food on 1/10th acre - Urban Homestead - Urban Permaculture - YouTube

I hope that those on food stamps (with access to arable land) will get the chance to see this video, and be inspired by it

Last edited by VGravitas; 03-07-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
If people on foodstamps had but HALF the energy, intelligence, and family cohesiveness of these remarkable people, they would not be on foodstamps in the first place!

Dream on.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Most people on food stamps do not have backyards.

Also, zoning laws in many places forbid this type of activity, most HOA's would freak out over this stuff as well. Most apartment complexes will not allow it either.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I have seen other types of stories where they grew their foods in a tiny backyard, pretty neat! As for the jab on Food Stamps, much better solutions abounds.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM

280 posts, read 686,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
If people on foodstamps had but HALF the energy, intelligence, and family cohesiveness of these remarkable people, they would not be on foodstamps in the first place!

Dream on.

If a fraction of more people were as resourceful and persistent as this family, things would be so much better in the world

Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

85 posts, read 259,352 times
How many hours per week do they spend? What is their opportunity cost?

It's still more efficient to produce things centrally in a larger scale.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
This is a political myth that keeps being debunked, but just will not die... because some people really WANT to believe it.

In fact, according to US Census data, 60% of the recipients of SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Benefits) benefits have jobs, but are paid at poverty levels by corporations that don't pay living wages. Many are single parents. Some have two jobs. Most have children to care for and feed. And according to a Bill Moyers report, “76 percent of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person or a disabled person. These vulnerable households receive 83 percent of all SNAP benefits.”

And of course people who live in apartment buildings don't have a place to do this, and many city dwellers don't have the gardening skills, nor do many cities permit raising livestock, so using this one remarkable family's highly unusual accomplishment - one that relatively few could replicate in any circumstances - to make political attacks on people living in poverty is loathsome.

Keep in mind that these people (5 adults?) work full time at this. And let's keep this thread focused on the food aspect, and leave politics out of it.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-07-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert_2001 View Post
How many hours per week do they spend? What is their opportunity cost?

It's still more efficient to produce things centrally in a larger scale.
I'm doing a veggie garden and with a little planning upfront, it will take very little time to maintain the garden.

Many gardens can be set up to be self watering. Seeds cost pennies. Folks are doing verticle window garden in NYC.

There is also hydroponics. No yard or soil needed. In the space of a n average closet, a person could grow 5+ differen crops inside their homes.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
I have a much smaller urban garden and probably match the same output per square foot that they're getting (plus they get one more growing season than I do). It's not really that hard, but at the scale they're doing it, and with the animals, it's got to be a full time job for at least two people. Anyways, great for them! I'm looking forward to planting my garden in a week or two.

I wonder if they're violating water use restrictions with the current drought?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
At age 80, my father planted a garden of approximately one acre that was on a flood plain and was part of a community garden. He really liked that land as it was extremely fertile and it was far enough away from traffic that people would leave it alone (but not all the deer). He ran the rototiller, planted the garden, pretty much alone. He also helped a lot of the young folks who were gardening.

At the end of the summer, he had a huge bumper crop. He gave each family member whatever they needed but that left about 75% of the food left. So he called the food bank. He told them that he had plenty of free, fresh produce and would be more than willing to give them all they could pick. They said, "we can't ask our clients to help you pick. You will have to pick it." So, my father picked it and filled nearly every box he could find.

He called the food bank back and said that all the produce was picked, could they send someone to the garden to pick it up. The guy laughed, "We don't do that. If you want to make a contribution, you have to deliver it to us." By this time, he was steamed and said to forget it. He ended up taking it to the town square and giving it out to anyone who wanted it. That was the LAST time that he planted a large garden.

Karma is a funny thing. Four months later, he gets a call from the local food bank asking for a cash contribution. He said, "I don't do that" and hung up on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink