Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,563,293 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spmqbs8YCW8

Dry turkey.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:52 PM

61,255 posts, read 86,144,940 times
^^^ Lol!!! This IS funny!!!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:03 PM

61,255 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I did one in March last year.. Saw them really cheap in the store flyer. Couldn't find a can of cranberries at any price.
Any particular kind?? HEB has at least 3-4 kinds of canned cranberries all year around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
What?
A brined organic turkey is delicious. Lately I just cook a breast and it is delicious!
Didn't try the organic kind, but generally turkey meat is really flavorless. It needs a lot of stuff to make it edible.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:04 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,563,293 times
Linda814 reminded me of that memorable scene. My wife uses one of these injectable marinades...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/caju...%5E51684503958

https://www.google.com/#q=cajun+butt...07088292001653

Her turkeys are moist and excellent.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Sometimes I forget that turkeys are quite useful and cost efficient to cook at any time of the year. So we try to remember to pick up a 10 lb one and it's amazing the amount of meals we can get from it. The last one I did, I think I calculated about 8 meals-for-2 from something that cost prob less than $25.

We had about 3 turkey dinners, turkey sandwiches hot with gravy or cold with cranberry, turkey soup and then I curried the last bit of thick soup which had become more like a stew. The downside is finding room in the fridge for the carcass but it's still very worthwhile for anyone who wants to eat frugally and deliciously for a while!

We get a frozen turkey breast every couple months and I put it in the slow cooker.
It is only two of us so we never get a whole turkey and the turkey breast we get is the smallest I can find in the grocery unless I know we are having guests, then I will get a bigger one.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:36 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
Quote:
I always get a fresh one because I'm so nervous about the whole thawing process! How do you personally thaw them? They take up so much room.. lol
just thaw in the fridge a few days,,

I also place in cold water in the sink overnight ...just don't thaw on counter

cook to 165f (not 180f)

Old 05-13-2015, 04:02 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,492,400 times
My spouse loves turkey, so for awhile we were eating it probably 6 or 7 times a year. The trick for us is that we always cooked them in an old-school (i.e. charcoal) Weber barbecue...no stuffing inside. The meat was always juicy & tender and the skin golden-brown and crisp. This is really the only way that I care for the taste of turkey. We lived in a year-round warm climate so this was easy to do. We didn't do all the "trimmings", just mashed potatoes & gravy that I made from giblets and the pan drippings, and cranberry sauce. BTW, home made cranberry sauce is much tastier than that slimy, canned stuff, and it's easy to make. Fresh cranberries are always sold during the holidays, and they can be frozen in the bag for use at other times of the year. At least that's what I did.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:08 AM

45,016 posts, read 60,017,539 times
A couple times a year, Mrs. NBP sometimes just says, "Let's have a turkey this week." It's one of the few dinners she does instead of me.

We also will get just a turkey breast several times a year which gets spitted and cooked on the grill.

I saw a story the other day about a potential turkey shortage this year because of an outbreak of avian flu.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:11 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,811,136 times
Quote:
I always get a fresh one because I'm so nervous about the whole thawing process! How do you personally thaw them? They take up so much room.. lol
I cooked my first turkey at 18 from a Good House keeping recipe and probably every yr since then..... NEVER got sick from thawing a turkey....just like MBM said....in a sink full of water is good too if it is thawing slowly..which has happened to me....funny story one year my son came home from college and the turkey wasn't thawing real fast so I did the unthinkable... WHICH I SHOULDNT DO BUT I ADMIT IT I DID..put it in the laundry tub....It hadn't been there long when ALL OF A SUDDEN I heard the washer on rinse cycle and RAN downstairs to see the bird floating in the rinse water.....Son had brought 150 lbs of dirty clothes home ......Thankfully the wrapper was tightly around it...and no harm done....can't believe he didn't see it sitting there....NEVER did that again...

Old 05-13-2015, 04:16 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,811,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
My spouse loves turkey, so for awhile we were eating it probably 6 or 7 times a year. The trick for us is that we always cooked them in an old-school (i.e. charcoal) Weber barbecue...no stuffing inside. The meat was always juicy & tender and the skin golden-brown and crisp. This is really the only way that I care for the taste of turkey. We lived in a year-round warm climate so this was easy to do. We didn't do all the "trimmings", just mashed potatoes & gravy that I made from giblets and the pan drippings, and cranberry sauce. BTW, home made cranberry sauce is much tastier than that slimy, canned stuff, and it's easy to make. Fresh cranberries are always sold during the holidays, and they can be frozen in the bag for use at other times of the year. At least that's what I did.
I did that the first time last year and will continue...it is so easy to make sauce out of fresh cranberries..like a dope I only bought one bag but this is a reminder to buy a few and freeze them.... I can only do rthe whole cranberry....that gelatinous goo shaped like the can is blah!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink