Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times

Advertisements

My mother was German and we were raised in the German tradition.

As a child during Christmas season my mother and great aunt spent weeks baking Christmas cookies - they were delicious.

Christmas meant:

1. Lebkuchen (gingerbread)
2. Stollen
3. Gluwein
4. Marzipan
5. Goose or Sauerbraten or game

Today, after a life living abroad and marrying a man from Latin America, we have incorporated new traditions:

We have combined the German with Venezuelan -- it makes for a delicious holiday season of Lebkuchen, Marzipan, Stollen or Panettone, Pan de Hamon (Pan de Jamon (ham bread) Recipe | Recipezaar), Chicken salad (Venezuelan style) and Hallacas (Venezuelan Christmas Hallacas Also Served in Colombia Recipe | Recipezaar). It may sound like a strange combination, but it works. And, yes, we do fit in Sauerbraten. :-)

Enjoy the season everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
My family started a tradition of an all-you-can-eat feast of shrimp and crab on Christmas Eve. Now that I live away from them I will miss it so much!!

We will probably do a pork tenderloin and some scallops for Christmas day.....

Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
We started quite a few years ago with crown roast of pork, apple stuffing, buttered and breaded brussel sprouts, creamed onions and Pannetone bread pudding.

Coming from and Irish-Amer background my mother and grandmother were never known for their culinary skills! For survival I'm self taught.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,594 times
My husband and I are from Italian backgrounds, and seafood was a big thing in his family for Christmas eve. I don't do too many seafood dishes, but I'll usually make shrimp Scampi and spaghetti w/oil & garlic for the eve.

Otherwise, I've been making the same things for Christmas for the past 15+ years:

- antipasto (dried sausage, pepperoni, roasted peppers, olives, cheeses & bread)
- stuffed mushrooms
- stuffed peppers
- lasagna
- meatballs
- either a pork or beef roast
- candied yams
- mashed potatoes (I always find a way to foul them up, though)
- sometimes I'll throw a little green in with Ceasar salad (easy with Trader Joe's dressing!)

I'm lazy, so I don't typically make the mushrooms, peppers or lasagna any other time of the year, so Christmas dinner is a treat for my husband (my 8 yr. old would prefer to just eat Spaghetti-O's - blech!).

It's become hard to cook since it's usually just the three of us since we don't live near any family, and most friends are also with family on that day. Therefore, I usually cook way more than we can eat!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
We usually have some sort of Roast Beast (prime rib, tenderloin.)
But every now and then we'll have a turkey or leg of lamb.
I'm thinking it might be nice to grill outside this year.
We almost always have mashed potatoes.
Perhaps some other green veggie.
Some spiced peaches.
Then there is the Splendid Raspberry Spinach Salad (http://www.carefullyblendedcuisine.com/recipe3.asp - broken link).
Some sort of rolls/bread, and last year I did a corn souffle.
And Sherry Trifle for dessert.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
We usually just "graze" rather than have a formal, sit-down dinner. I can tell you that it will involve Swedish meatballs Christmas Eve, and Cardamom bread in the morning.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,007 times
Usually standing rib roast or pork Crown roast for Christmas Eve when my sister-in-law and her family come over. Not sure what to cook on Christmas day, since it's just us (hubby, me and three kids). Will probably have big breakfast later in the morning and nibble on left overs from the day before...

We always have our soba noodles on New Year's eve for good luck. I am from Japan and that's our tradition. Kids and I also like to eat a lot of mochi (Sticky rice cakes with soy sauce and sugar). And because we live in AZ we always have some home made Tamales from some friends.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Default What is your traditional Christmas dinner like???

I am just being curious on what people serve, during this special time of year.
I am amazed, that it seems to differ from region to region, state to state, country to country.

I remember that in the past, my mom/ family prepared and we had everything from Goose, Venison Roast, Rabbit to Pheasant for Christmas Dinner.
It was always "out of the normal and far from ordinary" stuff, not being eaten during the year.

So, what's your meal plan, Christmas Dinner consist out of?
And, what Christmas Dinner did you grow up with?
Are you sticking with the "Traditional Meal" you grew up with, or did you change it over the years?

Sorry, I'm just dying to know....LOL.

Merry Christmas to all...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc24/aupelocal60/merrychristmas.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-22-2007, 09:47 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Oh....and I forgot to ask....why is the Fruitcake (handed as a gift) so much hated here in the US ???
Give me the story.....LOL.
BTW...I don't care for fruitcake......LOL....does that mean nobody else likes it either????

Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
Growing up we always had ham or a turkey. Dinner was pretty much a replay of thanksgiving but with cookies and fudge. As an adult my husband doesn't eat red meat or pork so ham is out, so now we usually do themed dinners. Kinda weird I know but its fun. One year we did Mexican, another everything was seafood. This year we had an extra turkey so we are going to cook that.

As for fruitcake, every one I ever had tasted like a brick sooo that is why I don't care for fruitcake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink