Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times

Advertisements

A lot of restaurants sprinkle flavoring powders on French fries, meats or other foods. Maybe just onion or garlic powder. Maybe MSG too. You can ask them to leave it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 06:41 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I don't like when they do this to fish. They always want to sprinkle on Cajun spices or paprika. This ruins it for me.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
The only restaurants I ever go to are fast food restaurants and the Chinese buffet.
I don't go to restaurants for a proper meal that I can make at home to my liking, in my own kitchen.
Besides, who wants to lick the spoon at a restaurant?

Everywhere I look I see "spicy" and "chipotle" (sp?)....all these awful trendy things that horrify me. LOL!
It's a pleasant life in my own kitchen with my own seasonings.

Last edited by rainroosty; 03-17-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Is Jess and Jim's still open? I used to be in town for NASCAR races and we always ate there.
Absolutely, and it's still fabulous and still looks like a time warp from 1975.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The only restaurants I ever go to are fast food restaurants and the Chinese buffet.
I don't go to restaurants for a proper meal that I can make at home to my liking, in my own kitchen.
Besides, who wants to lick the spoon at a restaurant?

Everywhere I look I see "spicy" and "chipotle" (sp?)....all these awful trendy things that horrify me. LOL!
It's a pleasant life in my own kitchen with my own seasonings.
"Spicy" is trendy?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:03 AM

682 posts, read 2,422,530 times
Quote:
The point is that having a preconceived notion of what you want or need, then being continually disappointed when the food doesn't meet your expectations, is at least as much if not more your fault than anyone else's. You can wish restaurants don't put sauce or seasonings on steak, but that doesn't make it so, does it?
It's a preconceived notion that food I'm paying someone else to make + tip should be edible? Hardly.

And I should note that I am far from being a picky eater. I will try almost anything.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Absolutely, and it's still fabulous and still looks like a time warp from 1975.
Good to know. We had some good times there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
"Spicy" is trendy?
You beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
It's a preconceived notion that food I'm paying someone else to make + tip should be edible? Hardly.

And I should note that I am far from being a picky eater. I will try almost anything.
The food you're being served is edible to the vast majority of diners. Consequently, yours is the specific palate, and it is completely on you to make that known when ordering. No one can read your mind. If you're consistently getting food you don't like, do you actually think it's always the fault of the restaurant?

If 20 people tell you that you're dead, its time to lie down.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,516 times
I enjoy a good sprinkle of salt on my meal because I feel it enhances the flavor, but there's a fine line between flavor-enhancing and salty mess. I find that restaurants rarely get it perfectly right -- either there's too much salt/seasoning/sauce action happening, or not nearly enough. Interestingly enough, one place that consistently gets it right is this very casual pub down the streeet from my house -- their burger is well-seasoned without overpowering, and you can tell that the quality of meat is good, too. Considering that a 1/2 pound burger + fries will set you back all of $7, that's not too shabby at all.

In most cases (except pasta), I prefer the sauce served on the side so I can dip it as I want -- I don't like my food smothered in sauce, and it also lets me control how much of the sauce's flavor ends up on my meal. This is helpful in restaurants that tend to be heavy handed in pouring their sauces -- it lets you try the flavor without fully committing to it in every crevice of your meal.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Is Jess and Jim's still open? I used to be in town for NASCAR races and we always ate there.

It's still open; I haven't eaten there since the 80s or maybe early 90s. I'll send you a PM to explain why.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I have noticed that in many restaurants with younger, trendier chefs the problem isn't over-salting, but with trying to be over-creative. It's all sriracha this and aioli that. I'm all for interesting enhancements, but sometimes you've just got to let the food be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink