Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Three key factors interact to affect prices of foods like bacon... fuel costs, feed costs, and drought. All three have been high, and will continue to be high, so there's a lot of upward pressure on supermarket prices. The higher prices on pork products had been predicted for a while. Beef prices are already high. I expect chicken to go up too.

Unfortunately I think we'll all just have to get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you buy organic bacon? ...snip...
No organic (didn't even know there WAS such a thing as "organic bacon" ). Just checked the package and it was Hormel Black Label 16 oz. maple-flavored -- I bought the maple-flavored by mistake (maybe it's more expensive??!) but it was really yummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the pork market is started to climb ..because more buying pork and poultry because beef is so much more expensive (demand on pork is up)
also, bacon, like chicken wings, use to be cheap, but no longer
chicken wings are expensive because of buffalo wings (appetizers) and bacon is more popular because of cooking shows -pork backs and bellies are also being exported

karen,,, in parts of new hampshire,, oscar mayer bacon 1 lb is 5.99-6.49(in hannafords and market baskets)
tyson, hatfield, farmland, hormel, if 1lb packages are mostly all around 5.99lb
oscar mayer is on sale for 4.44 lb in portsmouth n.h. at mckinnons market - i bought some there yesterday
Alas, Portsmouth is on the other side of the state. I suspect that Oscar Mayer would have been cheaper but I really like the Hormel Black Label ... maybe I should switch brands!!

Quote:
there are what they call a no 2 bacon - or miscuts, that you can buy for under 4.00lb pkge..
walmart has jamestown bacon for 3.69, they also sell this at iga's for 3.49lb
I will check Wal-Mart the next time I'm there. BTW is a "miscut" just what it sounds like -- it was cut a little "badly" or something, but otherwise is the same quality? I couldn't care less if it's miscut, it's going to end up in the same place!

Quote:
one alternative,,,is to buy more of the smaller ham steaks....it tastes close to bacon and ten times more healthier,,
the hatfield 8oz ham steak is one of my favs..
I do eat ham more frequently than bacon ... just occasionally get a craving for the "real thing"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I remember something about a bacon shortage predicted around late Summer of 2012. I viewed it as my own personal Aporkalypse. Thus far, I haven't noticed a "shortage" of product; my local markets always seem to have well-stocked pork products, but the price has risen exponentially.

I buy it less frequently these days, and I'm careful not to waste any of it when I do. I suggest you watch for a sale and buy more than you need. Unopened, the extra package(s) will freeze nicely.
Waste? What waste? It gets gobbled up very quickly -- which is why I don't buy it very often -- I am embarrassed to admit that I can eat six slices of bacon at one sitting -- can't do that but a couple of times a year!! Bacon and donuts are the two foods that I simply cannot eat in moderation, so I have to keep them out of the house most of the time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Like North Beach said, you gotta be careful with the tricksters who reduce package sizes without colorfully adding "NEW! Less for your money" on the label.

My worst mistake? Doing careful cost comparison on toilet paper then discovering at home I bought ONE-PLY!

AGAIN!?! (Done it several times)
20/20 used to do shows on "incredibly shrinking products." Honestly, the ones that reduce the product size, then increase it slightly and say "1 lb. FREE!" (I've seen similar on large bags of cat food) are the ones that bug me the most. (And of course I DO understand that the cost of things goes up -- reducing package sizes just seems so sneaky. )

Thanks to all for letting me rant ... reps to all I can!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM

166 posts, read 241,060 times
Many years ago. Bacon is used for so many reasons for so many meals. There is a high demand for it. We live in Florida and the price of OJ is expensive especially my favorite brand Simply Orange.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
I don't eat bacon, but I keep seeing brand-name bacon on sale for $2.99 for 454 grams (one pound) everywhere.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
No organic (didn't even know there WAS such a thing as "organic bacon" ). Just checked the package and it was Hormel Black Label 16 oz. maple-flavored -- I bought the maple-flavored by mistake (maybe it's more expensive??!) but it was really yummy.

Alas, Portsmouth is on the other side of the state. I suspect that Oscar Mayer would have been cheaper but I really like the Hormel Black Label ... maybe I should switch brands!!

I will check Wal-Mart the next time I'm there. BTW is a "miscut" just what it sounds like -- it was cut a little "badly" or something, but otherwise is the same quality? I couldn't care less if it's miscut, it's going to end up in the same place!

I do eat ham more frequently than bacon ... just occasionally get a craving for the "real thing"!!

Waste? What waste? It gets gobbled up very quickly -- which is why I don't buy it very often -- I am embarrassed to admit that I can eat six slices of bacon at one sitting -- can't do that but a couple of times a year!! Bacon and donuts are the two foods that I simply cannot eat in moderation, so I have to keep them out of the house most of the time ...

20/20 used to do shows on "incredibly shrinking products." Honestly, the ones that reduce the product size, then increase it slightly and say "1 lb. FREE!" (I've seen similar on large bags of cat food) are the ones that bug me the most. (And of course I DO understand that the cost of things goes up -- reducing package sizes just seems so sneaky. )

Thanks to all for letting me rant ... reps to all I can!

here is a mckinnons market in salem too

yes the "miscut" just has a little tear in it,,nothing major - ole carolina" "best buy" aberdeen" and "jamestown" are the brands in the northeast for these miscuts, all 1lb pkgs -very good prices

a few weeks ago i bought an 8lb uncut smoked slab of bacon
i slice off how much and how thick i want it..
its awesome ..
that was 2.99lb

it will last quite a quite too

there are also bacons with no nitrites/nitrates

applegate farms have these

Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I always liked bacon. Sausage. Scrapple. Chops. Roasts. Ribs. Time passed and I had a family of my own. Pork, although I didn't lose my love for it, appeared less on the menu, because five boys plus a dad can really demolish the budget. Chicken became the go-to.

The kids grew up, the hubs passed away and a pound of bacon was no longer financially prohibitive.
In 2004, an old heart problem surfaced and began to make itself felt. The remedy? Surgery. So they opened my chest, took out my failing aortic valve and replaced it with a porcine valve. Porcine. Pig. Oink, oink. Since then, my love of pork has been epic.

Excuse me, I'm going to have to go have a Peanut butter and bacon sandwich now.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:42 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
here is a mckinnons market in salem too
Alas, that's the "wrong" side of the state too ... I'm over near Vermont.

Quote:
a few weeks ago i bought an 8lb uncut smoked slab of bacon
i slice off how much and how thick i want it..
its awesome ..
that was 2.99lb

it will last quite a quite too
omg I am drooling lol ... C-D needs to add a "drool" icon!!

Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Another factor: seasonal fluctuations in litter size

High temps in the late summer and early fall reduce litter sizes, so fewer hogs naturally come to market in the spring even without the problem of PEDV.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The price of pork, any cut of pork, has doubled in the last two years.

The demand for bacon is through the roof. Every fast food burger place is now offering bacon on most of their sandwiches. A few years ago, only one sandwich would come with bacon. We homebodies are completing with the huge national chains for that bacon, so everybody gets to pay more because of the law of supply and demand.

It costs a lot more to produce the bacon. The price of feed is up, the cost of fuel to move it round has gone up, the cost of labor to produce it has gone up.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I've been buying a package of precooked Hormel bacon at Sam's lately. It costs $11 and has 72 slices. I eat four slices each morning with my breakfast (70 calories, 6 grams of fat in 4 slices). It's a very nice way to start the morning.

Sometimes I'll buy the weird cuts of bacon when I'm cooking beans, because it really doesn't matter for beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink