Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
trauma? The real trauma is the high cost of bacon!:d

AMEN! Also ground beef and even eggs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:51 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Let me just say this. . . . . mmmmmmmmm, baaaacoooooonnnn. That is all.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
lol, yep! There was a thread awhile ago about "what you would eat if you could eat anything" -- i.e., without worrying about calories, fat, etc. I swear bacon was on half the people's lists, and this was choosing from ANYTHING in the world!!! There was one poster, I wish I could remember who because he/she made me laugh, who had something like a four-course meal, and bacon was a part of every course!

And just an update: I had 5 pieces of bacon left (the 1-lb. package came with 17 so for me it was 6 + 6 + 5) so I cooked them this morning, then chopped up 3-1/2 pieces* and added them to a pan full of garlic and chopped onion in a bit of olive oil. I've been soaking a bag of 16-bean mix for the past two and a half days, so I dumped them out of the water (3rd or 4th batch of water) and into the slow cooker ... I then added a can of diced tomatoes (no time to chop up my own, too much to do today!) and some chicken broth and the pan of bacon/onions/garlic after I finished sauteing it, then started the slow cooker going on setting 2/3 (out of 5) -- this is a very old slow cooker! My kitchen, as you can imagine, smells great.

I will report back later today or tomorrow on how the slow-cooker bean-with-bacon soup turned out -- here's hoping for the best!

*It was supposed to be 4 pieces for the slow cooker, but, you know ...

Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Did you ever see the movie "Dutch"? It's about a man dating a woman with a son in private school. She is going through a divorce from some rich business guy and they have a spoiled son in a boarding school. The boyfriend (played by the dad from "Married with Children" goes to the school to get the son for the holidays and they do not get along. He takes him to a restaurant where the boy is being an obnoxious punk claiming "I can do anything you can do, but better." (or something close to that). The bf responds "I can do something better than you can...buy my breakfast."

The next scene are the two males in the parking lot with the bf belching while saying "Mmmm, nothing burps better than bacon!"

Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
lol, yep! There was a thread awhile ago about "what you would eat if you could eat anything" -- i.e., without worrying about calories, fat, etc. I swear bacon was on half the people's lists, and this was choosing from ANYTHING in the world!!!
My spouse worked at a company where they would have "pot luck" breakfast each morning. Each person would bring in something. There was one guy that got there earliest every day and he would take ALL the bacon (about 5-10 lbs depending on who was on the schedule), literally. They were so disgusted with it that they discontinued this several years old tradition in the department. The funniest part is the guy doing it wasn't the one actually buying/bringing in the bacon!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
When did bacon get so expensive?

...When women decided they could start bringing it home! Now, it takes two incomes to bring it home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA4DR4vEgrs
http://youtu.be/jA4DR4vEgrs

Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, you could, on Maui.

Somebody just posted a price comparison on the Hawai'i forum on two identical Safeway weekend sales flyers, one for San Francisco and one for Maui, and one of the items was Oscar Meyer Thick Cut Bacon... $8.99/lb in San Fran, $9.99/lb in Maui.*

LOL If you're willing to pay 9 bucks for a pound of bacon in SF, what's one more buck to round it on up to 10.00 for a pound in Maui? No way would I buy it in either place at prices like that, but if I was willing to do so, no brainer I'd rather pay the extra dollar and be chowing down on it in Maui vs San Fran.

About a week ago I heard a story on the local news about a disease that was killing off a lot of the little piggies, therefore prices were going up. Who knows, they always seem to have some story to cover the reason they go up on anything. It wasn't but a couple of days after that our little hometown grocery had the full pound packages of bacon for $2.98. I didn't recognize the brand (Jones) but it looked good. It was cherry wood smoked and very lean. I bought a couple of packages and tried one. It fried up great (very little grease cooked out) and tasted really great (I always buy OM). I went back and bought several more packages to put in the freezer.

A couple of weeks ago a new store opening in our area sent out coupons for a free package of Farmland bacon, a 59 oz. (here we go again on the size reducing thing) of Minute Maid OJ and a dozen of eggs. I had never eaten Farmland bacon and it was only 12 oz., not the full pound, but it was good AND free, which really made it good!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Lonestar: bacon is great--FREE bacon is about the best you can get!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Had a craving for bacon so bought a package at my local grocery store without noticing the price. When the cashier rang it up I saw it cost $6.29!! Granted, I hadn't bought it for a while, but I could have sworn the last time I bought it, it cost $3-4 for the same-sized package.

Has it been this expensive for a long time? Maybe I just didn't notice ...

Gotta say I had some for dinner last night (it was a breakfast-for-dinner night!) and it was delicious.
Same thing happened to me. I had not bought bacon in awhile and decided BLT's sounded good. I about croaked when I saw the prices. I usually get a brand name Dailey's that makes very good thick bacon, and it was like $8 or $9. I then began looking at the cheaper ones and got one. When I got to cooking it and opened the pkg. what I saw was ridiculous. There were not many pieces, they were thin enough to read through, it was pathetic.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
hatfield has a thick-sliced slab bacon that comes 15 lbs to a case-thats popular up here - butcher shops will display this,,,or some places will smoke their own, and slice

the ends and pieces can be pre-pack in 1-3lb packages or whats popular in this region is bulk- stores can buy a hatfield-two-10lb boxes of ends and pieces, then they tray it up in a foam tray

if you dont see it - you can ask for it..
We don't have that brand around here but I am going to ask at my butcher shop next time I go get meat. When I asked before the bacon came in large boxes pre-sliced from the supplier. I don't see them at Wal Mart or local grocery stores packaged around either so I will ask when there also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
My spouse worked at a company where they would have "pot luck" breakfast each morning. Each person would bring in something. There was one guy that got there earliest every day and he would take ALL the bacon (about 5-10 lbs depending on who was on the schedule), literally. They were so disgusted with it that they discontinued this several years old tradition in the department. The funniest part is the guy doing it wasn't the one actually buying/bringing in the bacon!
Why didn't somebody just tell the guy to stop taking all the bacon or they'd have to stop the breakfast? Surely he wasn't eating 5-10 #s of bacon in one sitting so was he taking it home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink