Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM

364 posts, read 560,384 times

Advertisements

Why are the two most consumed cheeses in America the most bland? Mozzarella and "American" cheeses are two of the most boring ways to consume calories I know of. Why does it have to be this way? Why do plenty of our grown adults have almost exclusively these two food groups: 1. Chicken 2. Potato ?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
That doesn't even make sense.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM

Quite insightful there... Definitely no need to elaborate...

Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
Two food groups...chicken and potato?
I find that kind of bizarre, that's all....and not true.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Alright, "chicken" could be replaced with "meat." Would that make more sense? I used chicken because I've run across more than a fair share of (mostly female) people who you would take to a nice restaurant, and they order chicken strips and fries...

These are grown people, not children. I know a girl will eat nothing green. Meat and starch is all that exists in her world. Her profession? Student going to school to be... a nutritionist!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times
We have an incredibly diverse range of food selections in this country, so I dispute the premise of this thread.

That said, people from the Midwest seem to have really bland taste in food.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
We have an incredibly diverse range of food selections in this country, so I dispute the premise of this thread.

That said, people from the Midwest seem to have really bland taste in food.
What's available isn't the point. I'm referring to peoples' preference. I am in the midwest, ironically enough. One of the favorite meals of my family growing up was chicken and dumplings. Yee-haw... boiled chicken and dough. Man, I really looked forward to that one after school.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
What's available isn't the point. I'm referring to peoples' preference. I am in the midwest, ironically enough. One of the favorite meals of my family growing up was chicken and dumplings. Yee-haw... boiled chicken and dough. Man, I really looked forward to that one after school.
That probably explains it. My mom's family is based in Missouri, and they have the blandest taste buds I've ever seen. The foods I describe as "mildly spicy" are like 5-alarm chili to them, and don't even get me started on what they try to pass off as "lasagna".

But I find people are more normal elsewhere, and enjoy a variety of tasty foods.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
That probably explains it. My mom's family is based in Missouri, and they have the blandest taste buds I've ever seen. The foods I describe as "mildly spicy" are like 5-alarm chili to them, and don't even get me started on what they try to pass off as "lasagna".

But I find people are more normal elsewhere, and enjoy a variety of tasty foods.
If I cook for my parents, I cannot add anything with any level of spice. If I'm caught adding a teaspoon of Tabasco to a whole pot of chili, they'll just not eat it. If they don't see me doing this, they eat it with no complaints. The concept that "hot stuff" can be added in small amounts for flavor and not hotness is totally foreign to them. It's completely irrational and frustrating.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,772 times
As Americans age, they have a tendency to eat more bland food. This is primarily due to medical conditions which require less or no salt or sodium. Also highly spiced foods have a tendency to bother some people, and as I have aged, sometimes spicy foods bother my stomach and my reflux.

I love highly spiced and non bland foods and I live in the Midwest so I've never had the really bland food taste others have pointed out, but if a doctor puts a person on a more bland diet, then the person becomes used to that bland taste and then it becomes the normal taste for the person, and eventually that taste is really good according to that person's taste buds.

I would probably disagree with the chicken and potato theory. In various parts of the USA, people eat different types of foods.

For example: In the coastal areas, the people eat a lot more seafood than someone in the Midwest because the seafood is convenient for them and fresh besides.

Another example: In the Midwest, people eat a lot of beef, pork, turkey and chickens because a lot of cattle, hogs, turkeys and chickens are grown here. Persons can readily purchase these from a farmer or from a local hometown store or even a chain grocery store.

Other examples: Certain ethnicities eat certain types of foods. One ethnic group might be lots of pasta and cheese dishes. Or, perhaps lots of dishes with broccoli or fish or Asian type ingredients.

There would be many more examples but there is not enough time to list every different region of the country or specific ethnic groups and what would be a major food group for that region or ethnic.

I used to be a chef, and I learned that you can experiment with any kind of cheese and get a different flavor in the result. But sometimes, that change of flavor doesn't necessarily make the food good. So, in this case, to change the type of cheese just because you can, isn't always right.

Glad you like chicken and noodles, because so do I. But I can't eat them now because of fat content and carb content. So my food groups don't fit your analysis. And I don't eat salt, nor spicy foods, so I really don't meet it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink