Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:50 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times

Advertisements

I'm a big drinker of cow's milk. Never drank much else. Today's newspaper says milk sales are being challenged by people switching to soy, rice, almond or other fluids that call themselves "milk". Milk comes from an animal, and if you don't want it, well, it truly was created to feed the animals' young. But if people don't want this, why do they want the substitutes? Say, instead of almond milk, why not just almonds? Hominids probably have been sustaining themselves with these kinds of nuts for thousands of years. I mean, I'm glad for the companies that make almond milk that they've gotten so many people to switch or even swear off cow's milk completely, but when I look at the cartons and see what they cost, I can't see a reason for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Putting almonds in my coffee doesn't do anything. Almonds and fruit in a blender won't yield much of a smoothie. A handful of almonds on top my cereal still means dry cereal.

I'm sure there are other uses for dairy milk alternatives, but those are my big ones.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:20 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times
I just am not able to tolerate cow's milk like I used to be able too, it just does not agree with me anymore. I have found this really delicious flax milk that I love. Tastes about as close as I can remember. I also realize nothing will be the same taste wise but it works for me.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM

584 posts, read 576,141 times
Almond milk has been popular since at least the 14th century. It's not something new. There are a whole lot of ethical, environmental and health reasons that people don't or can't drink dairy milk. What's wrong with having a plant based drink? I've never had dairy milk, so plant, seed and nut milks are not substitutes for anything, they're just what I've always used. The commercial brands of plant based milks are not always the best choice, but making your own is easy and inexpensive.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:25 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Almond and Soy milk weren't created as replacements for milk, they are both traditional beverages that have been around for hundreds of years.

A carton of organic soy milk costs around the same as a carton of organic milk. Why would I consume the soy milk? It doesn't have cholesterol, its not filled with sugar (if you buy unsweetened), its low in saturated fat, it has less calories, its not filled with cow hormones, its not filled with pus, etc.

Milk, when you really think about what it contains, is just pretty gross.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
I grew up on whole raw cow's milk and have gradually switched to nonfat. However, last week I bought some unsweetened almond milk and some almond-coconut milk blend. When I added a little monk fruit sweetener to the latter my wife said it tasted like Oreo cookie filling. I doubt we'll ever go back to cow's milk.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Just to be clear, I'm not asking about avoiding milk for digestive or ethical reasons. But then what's the big attraction of these other milky fluids? I'm sure they don't nourish like fruit and vegetable juices. Both of which are vegan.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
not a vegetarian or vegan

i am also not a big milk drinker...i got lactose intolerant as i got older for some reason

every so often though i like to enjoy a bowl of cereal so i use this:

does the trick cant tell any difference..but like i said i was never into milk like that

Old 03-16-2014, 02:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not asking about avoiding milk for digestive or ethical reasons. But then what's the big attraction of these other milky fluids? I'm sure they don't nourish like fruit and vegetable juices. Both of which are vegan.
I believe post # 2 answered that quite precisely. Re-read that post.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
But then what's the big attraction of these other milky fluids? I'm sure they don't nourish like fruit and vegetable juices. Both of which are vegan.
I just listed some reasons: they are cholesterol free, they are low in saturated fat, they are free of sugar (the unsweetened ones), they don't contain cow hormones, they don't contain cow pus.

Soy milk, almond milk, etc are all nutritious and are used in different contexts than fruit and vegetable juices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink