Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times

Advertisements

Sweet tamales are made for the holidays by some folks. They usually have raisins in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
OK I have been asking (whining ) on a local forum about getting homemade tamales. Woo Hoo! A guy hooked me up with a lady and she is making me 5 dozen of pork!!!!! I told her I didn't want them flaming hot so I don't know if we will get green or red sauce.

My mouth is watering right now!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I doubt if you'll get any sauce with them. Tamalies in a restaurant may be served with a sauce but for the most part the tamalies you get from "tamalie ladies" will be farily dry. I just steam them to heat and pour some bottled hot sauce on while eating right out of the husk. Once in a while I'll put a couple on a plate with rice and beans and I'll cover them with a heated mexican sauce (Herdez).
One should note that real tamalies are major artery cloggers and if one eats to many over the coarse of ones life, that persons life may not be all that long or pleasant. My doctor yells at me, "Tamalies ! What do you want to do get a stroke or something !

Last edited by Rickers; 12-07-2007 at 08:38 AM..

Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,308 times
Quote:
I doubt if you'll get any sauce with them.
Maybe on the side. Our tamale lady does that - gives us little bags of either green or red sauce with ours. She makes it herself and it's HOT, but good!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,941,834 times
Hmmm...I was just searching for a tamale recipe and thought I would resurrect this thead. In my neighborhood, we pay about 11 bucks for a mixed dozen (6 red, 6 green) bag of tamales. The red are made with pork and a red chile sauce. The green are green chile and cheese and they are SPICY and HOT! We usually get a pint of pork green chile to accompany our tamales.....because the heat is oddly addicting!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,917,755 times
Oh god, and here I was trying to think of what to make for dinner this weekend. Tamales sound great, I think they're it! Thanks!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,122 times
Thanks for rubbing it in that I don't have access to REAL tamales anymore Jaxson! LOL

I used to get them for xmas from our family friend when I lived in El Paso. When we needed a non xmas fix, we went Gussie's bakery in central El Paso. I don't remember the price. Our favorites were cheese & green chiles, green chicken and of course the traditional red ones. OH MAN. what I wouldn't do for a tamale or five right now. we like to sprinkle hot sauce on ours.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM

If you don't have it "in you" to make any homemade, and you have no immediate access to the real thing try this; Put canned tamales without the parchment covers in a saucepan along with a can of Texas style chili beans in chili sauce. Heat, sprinkle with whole Mexican oregano diced onions and shredded cheese.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Thanks for rubbing it in that I don't have access to REAL tamales anymore Jaxson! LOL

I used to get them for xmas from our family friend when I lived in El Paso. When we needed a non xmas fix, we went Gussie's bakery in central El Paso. I don't remember the price. Our favorites were cheese & green chiles, green chicken and of course the traditional red ones. OH MAN. what I wouldn't do for a tamale or five right now. we like to sprinkle hot sauce on ours.
Well the joke was on me because the lady never delivered the tamales! So I never got my fix but I have my order in with another family this year when they start making them for the holidays by golly.

rickers I have never bought those canned ones maybe I better try them to hold me over until I get homemade, fresh good ones.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 AM

The canned tamales are kind of like the ones made in Louisiana. I prefer real Mexican border style tamales, the kind you can buy on the street in T town. Big and fat, mostly masa with a little slug of spicy shredded meat inside along with an olive, wrapped in a corn husk.
Pour off all that grease that comes in the can with the tamales and heat them mixed in with a can of chili. It tastes much better than it sounds (or looks) !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink