Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,928,260 times

Advertisements

I copied my post from the other thread:

Cantal
from the Auvergne region of France
This cheese has a strong flavor yet is buttery. There is also Bleu
d'Auvergne.

Tetilla

It is shaped like a boob and has a sweet, mild, creamy flavor.
I also like Manchego from Spain.
I also like the more familiar Havarti, Brie, and Gorgonzola.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Cantal really is delicious.

Highlandsgal's suggestions are right up my culinary alley.

A cheese I just discovered about a month ago just blew my mind.
It was so expensive, and I had heard about it before and wondered if it was worth all the hype. Well it actually is. It is delicious.
Humboldt fog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 03:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,068,425 times
These all sound delicious, guys.

I have a former colleague coming up to see me in 10 days and I can ask for anything to eat. I asked for bagels, but I can have more. So cheese it will be.

We are fortunate to have one terrific local wine shop.

Many thanks.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:03 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,012,300 times
Here is a tasty but down home snack. Hoffman's smoked cheddar cheese, Santa Barbara green olives, Reeses skinless and boneless sardine fillets and Ritz crackers.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,377,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I love a good sharp cheddar with apple or spicy mustard, gorgonzola melted on toast points with honey drizzled on top, Spanish Tetilla or Manchego on baguette, with some pinot noir or a tempranillo wine
Cheddar with mustard? I'm headed toward the fridge....

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,850,209 times
If you like cheese, eggs and spinach, make this! You can eat this with a salad for dinner OR cut it into small square for a great appetizer. It's really, really good. Nice to take to parties because it can be easily reheated in the host's oven or microwave and "looks" like it was hard to make, but is really easy

8 oz of egg substitute such as Better Than Eggs or Egg Beaters
2 thawed packages of chopped spinach - drained really well. Squeeze all of the excess water of it. This takes some work. Ring out small batches at a time between paper towels.
1 container of small curd cottage cheese
1 package of feta cheese - ideally a good Greek feta made with goats or ewe milk. Cut into small cubes or crumble it with your hands - don't use pre-crumbled - it's too dry and not as flavorful..buy the chunk style
1 container of shredded asiago cheese
1 bunch of scallions, cut into small pieces
1 bunch of FRESH dill - pull leaves off, discard stems
1/4 cup of flour

Mix eggs, cottage cheese, feta, scallions, flour, dill and spinach well
Pour into a greased 9" x 13" inch metal, glass or aluminum baking pan
Sprinkle shredded asiago on top

Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. While baking, it will have a pungent smell from the asiago, but it tastes really good. Stores well in air tight containers and can be reheated in the microwave.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,086,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Would you share the names of all of these incredible edibles?
Sure!!

For Italy, the cheeses we used were provolone and gorgonzola, which we paired with Genoa Salami and Soppressata. We served a crusty Italian bread with it.

For Germany, the cheeses used were Butterkase (mmm) and a Gruyer (which is swiss and very good for fondue). Paired them with german ring bologna and pumpernickel bread.

For Ireland, the cheese used was Dubliner - which has a mature cheddar taste w a hint of parmigiano reggiano. We served corned beef with it, and potato bread.

We put out condiments such as mayonaise, a specialty mustard and horseradish - so people could make a sandwhich, or dip.

The choices are only limited by your deli or grocery store, but you can order anything online. Enjoy!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,574,516 times
I'm addcited to cheese and have to curb my consumption as I could just live on breads and cheeses for a long time. They are so expensive though. I love French cheeses in particular but Italian ones too ( Taleggio is a food of the gods IMO !)

I think the bread you eat it with is also crucial , a good Walnut of Sourdough or maybe a bacon bread. Crackers and cheese biscuits are OK but not the same.
I am partilcularly fond of Tomme De Savoie, Reblochon, Roquefort, Vignotte, Vacherin, Beaufort, Brillat Savarin, Cabecou, st Nectaire, A good Camembert or Brie ( really hard to find nowadays), St Marcellin, Broccio Passu, and Filetta. MMMMMMM. I am getting hungry now...

Fromages.com the best of French Cheeses
virtualitalia.com - cheese glossary
Cheese from Spain (http://www.cheesefromspain.com/CFS/Index.html - broken link)

Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,377,433 times
This thread is killing me. Last night I only ate cheddar cheese and mustard for dinner....

Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,574,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
This thread is killing me. Last night I only ate cheddar cheese and mustard for dinner....

If you like cheese and Mustard try one of my favourite cheese recipes , Welsh Rarebit, absolutely gorgeous :

Preparation time less than 30 mins

Cooking time less than 10 mins

Ingredients
25g/1oz butter
25g/1oz flour
150ml/5fl oz milk
175g/6oz cheddar cheese, grated
150ml/5fl oz brown ale
1 tsp English mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
2 egg yolks
4 slices of toast

Method
1. Make a roux with the butter and flour, and leave to cool.
2. Bring the milk to the boil, then whisk it into the roux. Bring to the boil once again, whisking to ensure that it does not burn and also that the sauce is free of lumps.
3. Add the cheese, beat in and remove from the heat.
4. Reduce the ale, English mustard and Worcestershire sauce. When thick, add this mixture to the cheese sauce. Season well with salt and pepper and beat in the egg yolks.
5. Spoon on to the slices of toast and grill until bubbling. Serve with extra Worcestershire sauce handed separately.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,068,425 times
Thanks for the shares. They all sound yummy and so appropriate. I am not however familiar with Butterkase but it may be something similar to a New Cheese--very young (transl. Dutch to English).

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Sure!!

For Italy, the cheeses we used were provolone and gorgonzola, which we paired with Genoa Salami and Soppressata. We served a crusty Italian bread with it.

For Germany, the cheeses used were Butterkase (mmm) and a Gruyer (which is swiss and very good for fondue). Paired them with german ring bologna and pumpernickel bread.

For Ireland, the cheese used was Dubliner - which has a mature cheddar taste w a hint of parmigiano reggiano. We served corned beef with it, and potato bread.

We put out condiments such as mayonaise, a specialty mustard and horseradish - so people could make a sandwhich, or dip.

The choices are only limited by your deli or grocery store, but you can order anything online. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink