Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat something that is alive?
Yes 11 22.92%
No 37 77.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Myself I would not eat anything that is alive and it must be cooked before I eat it.

News, Animals that are eaten alive around the world

We know you like your food fresh but there is such a thing as too fresh! While most people balk at the idea of eating lobster because it’s cooked alive moments before it’s served, some people actually prefer their dinner to be alive and trying to escape from their mouths between bites.

Animals that are eaten alive around the world | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
No, I would not eat anything that is still alive. I also wouldn't own a pet that had to eat live things (mostly big snakes that eat mice, rats, rabbits etc.).

Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Yep - I love chewing those squirming oysters. It's not fresh if it isn't resisting.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Although I am somewhat intrigued by those chilled ants in Denmark I don't think I would eat anything that's still alive. That seems pretty cruel.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
much of nature does.....
ever see hyenas or a pack of wild dogs take down an animal?? at least a leopard or lion kills it, before ripping into it..
them alaskan bears will eat the salmon while they are still kicking..

all the little insects and parasites and creepy crawlers, some bats .....they are taking a bite from us...

nature can be very cruel..

i cant think of anything i eat today that is still squirming..

i pick alot of berries and eat them....i picked some tomatos i grew and ate that.... i guess they were still livin,,,

Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I do eat oysters fresh from the ocean but that's all...but I don't even know if they are still alive???? Anything else just isn't right. I won't even cook a live lobster anymore (used to cook these and hated doing this).

Old 03-23-2014, 07:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I do eat oysters fresh from the ocean but that's all...but I don't even know if they are still alive???? Anything else just isn't right. I won't even cook a live lobster anymore (used to cook these and hated doing this).
dont feel alone,,,many women i know dont like throwing them in boiling water

however,,you go back a few generations and many of our grandparents and their parents grew up on farms,,,routinely killing their own chickens,,,my grandmother use to do that
and pigs etc..

we have become a squeamish society

the one girl i use to date that had the same problem(putting a lobster in a pot) ,,,,i took a steak knife,,and stabbed it thru the head...killed it first.....then she was fine..
i dont believe lobsters can feel pain ( i grew up on a lobster boat) one lobster-in a tank will gnaw on another one-thru the shell and eat it alive,,,,and it wont even move,,,or make an attempt to crawl away..
you would think if it hurt,,,they'd be crawling away or fight will the other lobster trying to eat it..

there are a few things in this world,,i dont like to see certain animals eating other animals,,,sea gulls use to go after baby ducks and eat them alive...
(we use to shoot seagulls) didnt bother me at all

snakes,,,in my front lawn by the lake a large snake was just trying to swallow a squirrel,,,the squirrel was still trying to fight,,
i took a shovel and cut the snake in half,,,,,it did let go of the squirrel....but the squirrel was bitten too deeply,,didnt live long

but the snake was only trying to survive...

if its the killing thats uncomfortable,,,we kill other animals and are indifferent

on one level we kill animals all the time,,,,hit them with cars- think of the 1000's of bugs and birds that we hit,,,,and those pesky mosquitos that bite us?? yep we decide their lives when we slap and kill them
we also spray a bee's nest and kill most of them,,,

Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Bats....."with some serious diseases that can be passed on to humans," like Rabies????

Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I think I will pass and have a peanut butter sandwich.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
I would, definitely, especially in a situation of survival. Worms, no problem, bugs no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink