Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times

Advertisements

I'm also not a big fan of papayas. To me they taste a little like how B.O. smells.

In Latin America I've tried nance fruit which is pretty nasty, but I just read they have a lot of nutritional value so maybe I'll have to learn to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
...In Latin America I've tried nance fruit which is pretty nasty, but I just read they have a lot of nutritional value so maybe I'll have to learn to like it.
I eat them as dulce de nance and they taste great. However, the process of turning them into a candied fruit probably decreases their nutritional value.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 PM

11 posts, read 27,518 times
Worst fruit ever: Papaya.
I tried eating it while traveling through the virgin islands, and oh my god I was very sorry to have bitten into that thing. The texture was okay, but the flavor made me want to vomit. Nothing covered the taste, not even copious amounts of brown sugar. It tasted musky/gamey, and had a horrific after taste that wouldn't leave. I could tell it was fresh, it hadn't gone bad, but it was terrible all the same.

A bit random but.... Soursop, on the other hand is heaven on earth.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:54 PM

358 posts, read 512,376 times
Try drinking pure noni juice. That'll get your heave on. But the physiological benefit is so good. It's like a warm wave flows through your brain.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed, but have you tried the dried fruit (papaya)? OMG, it is SO GOOD. But the actual papaya is blech. My son and I fight over the dried papaya in the tropical dried fruit bag.
It's not bad but just because it's not really dried, it's candied with tons of sugar so it's more like candy than fruit
I still prefer the other ones like dried mango anyway. Or dried/candied cantaloupe - man, those are de-li-cious. But again more candy than dried fruit.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
It's not bad but just because it's not really dried, it's candied with tons of sugar so it's more like candy than fruit
I still prefer the other ones like dried mango anyway. Or dried/candied cantaloupe - man, those are de-li-cious. But again more candy than dried fruit.
dried mango is one of my favs,,,im like a seagull going after a french fry when they are around

Old 03-27-2014, 07:15 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Disgusting? Mmm nothing I can think of offhand. But over-ripe bananas to me are pretty damn gross. Soft and slimy and nasty and tasting of .... banana. Yuck.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Like some others said, Papaya is nauseating. The wife and I were traveling in Mexico, and stayed at a hotel one night. The next morning at the breakfast bar there were pastries, and a fruit plate. We were sampling the fruit, and took a bite of papaya, and we almost gagged! Worst tasting fruit I ever ate.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There's a lot of fruit I don't care for (my husband thinks I am crazy that I'm not a fruit lover), but I can't think of any I find disgusting.

Fresh mangoes give me a slight allergic reaction...they make my mouth, throat and lymph glands feel prickly and fuzzy...this isn't uncommon, and comes from oils in the skin of mangoes. Often, peeled mangoes used in purees and flavorings won't cause the same reaction, providing none of the oils from the skin are present.

I also don't like eating oranges because of the pith. I'd take orange juice (no pulp) over fresh oranges, but I don't really love it, either.
Mangoes and cashews are in the same family as poison sumac, Anacardiaceae, and quite a few people are sensitive or allergic to one or both!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I just have an aversion to grape fruit and papaya. Grape fruit just tastes too bitter and sour for my tastes and papaya has always tasted off to me. Not sure maybe it is my taste buds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink