Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,916,713 times

Advertisements

I cook pretty much every day. Much less expensive than eating out, & what I make is better than most restaurants anyway. And I don't do it because I'm concerned about what may or may not be in our food. I do it because I like to cook.

I'm not a baker, though. I leave that to the pros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,708,012 times
I boil potatoes and mash 'em with a fork. Then I put 'em on a plate and top with cottage cheese. It's the best food I've ever had, doesn't require much clean-up and is CHEAP!

I also spiff up Ramen by throwing in some browned ground beef and frozen veggies. Yum.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,113,601 times
Quote:
have i got a sausage for you!! - been making venison sausage for 30 years, one of my favorites..
What kind of fat do you add to venison sausage to keep it from tasting like sawdust?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:08 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,031,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What kind of fat do you add to venison sausage to keep it from tasting like sawdust?
good question,,,i dont like mixing suet with wild game..

here's what i like/recommend,,,mix 15-20% fatty beef trimmings... (there's a difference in beef suet/and beef fat)
or my favorite, is pork butts..grind in pork butts .. they are great, will lend alot of flavor!!
ive also had some folks ask to grind in some bacon,,,which was also tasty

its funny you mention "sawdust" in societies great push for lean and low fat, it also lowers the flavor without the fat...many friends will give me elk or caribou sausage ...that was made in other regions and they too was sawdust flavor,,too lean..

Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Anytime we eat in we save so the short answer is "dinner" but we eat cheap sometimes and love it. IE: a big pot of greens seasoned with smoked turkey legs. YUM. AND if I cook them right, chicken gizzards is a favorite. Those are two of our cheapies.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,854,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Anytime we eat in we save so the short answer is "dinner" but we eat cheap sometimes and love it. IE: a big pot of greens seasoned with smoked turkey legs. YUM. AND if I cook them right, chicken gizzards is a favorite. Those are two of our cheapies.
This is something my mother used to make. I really would love her recipes but she won't share them with me. Your post brought back some yummy dinner memories!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM

912 posts, read 1,518,408 times
Salsa and salad dressing. It is ridiculous how much salsa we eat, and I can make a huge quantity of it for a few bucks, as compared to spending more than that for a tiny jar.

We also eat salads nearly every day with dinner, and we love our salad dressings -- we don't soak the salad in it, but do definitely like to have enough on there to taste it. I can make my own for pennies, and it tastes much better and without all those preservatives.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,529,738 times
My soda stream machine makes cheaper club soda than anything out there. It cost me $4 to refill my CO2 tank that lasts over 2 months. Nothing like fizzy water over regular water.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,854,008 times
When I originally responded I was thinking in terms of food since that's a daily expense. However, I have also learned to be quite creative in making costumes for the various events in the kids' classroom. I try to budget no more than $20 for any of these projects and do quite well with some colored felt, yarn, leggings and headbands (mostly to make animal ears). Comparatively, a kids' costume runs about $40+ depending on how elaborate it is and I've seen some in the hundreds.

ETA: My grandmother was a seamstress and she made all her own clothes. She had closets full that would rival any superstar's wardrobe. I don't sew that well, but I can get by with a few costumes for elementary school kids. ;-)

Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,579,768 times
Not buying beef or pork saves me money. And, not buying loads of crackers, cookies, snacks. A bit here and there only. No soda, no prepared foods, frozen or otherwise, few desserts. It all saves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink