Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times

Advertisements

This, by the way, immediately gives lie to the B.S. argument about sex and drug use, where people say "you can never change people's behavior ...if they want to do [x] then they will!! So just accept it!!" The left says that about sex and drugs, but look at how they used laws, regulations, peer pressure, stereotypes, and indoctrination on things like smoking and sugary drinks. We can always change what they want and we can never change what they don't want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
Holy crap, 1995 is almost 20 years ago?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
I'm doing my part also.

My daughter and I have started drinking water with meals, with an occasional coke when we eat out.

Hubby and son are still hooked. But still, my soda bill has decreased.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Rarely buy soda anymore, maybe Squirt now and then, I do buy Lipton's raspberry white tea and Starbuck's mocha frappuccino
for example, they are not carbonated. Sometimes I'll have a root beer if we eat out.

Last edited by pekemom; 04-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
I tend to drink more juice the soda. I try to limit myself to one soda per week - I think about the empty calories.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
- I think about the empty calories.
Me too....and also the phosphoric acid, which is supposed to be bad for your bones, I think. That's another reason I convinced my daughter to try to drink more water and less soda, while she's still young and building bone.

She still drinks more than I do and more than I'd like for her to, but at least those large mealtime glasses of Coke are a thing of the past.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:51 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Me too....and also the phosphoric acid, which is supposed to be bad for your bones, I think. That's another reason I convinced my daughter to try to drink more water and less soda, while she's still young and building bone.

She still drinks more than I do and more than I'd like for her to, but at least those large mealtime glasses of Coke are a thing of the past.
Yep, bad for your bones, the sugar is bad for diabetes, the additives aren't good for anything, if it's caffeinated you're losing much needed calcium and magnesium, if it's not sweetened you're getting artificial
sweeteners which are not good for you. It contributes to obesity. It rots your teeth. There's no reason to drink it except out of habit.

I've never liked the stuff but I know some people who have gotten hooked on it. I hope the sales continue to go down, way down.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 AM

We drank mostly decaffeinated Coke, and I never drink or use artificial sweeteners....nasty! I still buy the decaf for my son.

And yeah, the "bad for the teeth" aspect....DD's teeth cost $5000, so she's pretty careful with them. lol

My husband drinks a lot of DP10, and I've tried to convince him it would be better to just drink the sugar and cut down on his consumption of DP10 than to ingest those artificial sweeteners, but no go. He said he was going to try to drink more water, but so far I haven't seen any progress in that area.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 PM

256 posts, read 342,728 times
I'm glad to see this thread today, I can honestly say that I am addicted to soda. I have never felt addiction to anything else like I feel with sodas. Yesterday after a lot of help of my husband, I decide to go cold turkey on sodas. I've been trying to give sodas up for over a year, but if I just have one then I need another and another (i'll tell myself "oh just one a week" but it DOES NOT WORK). I don't think people realize how addictive they are, i've struggled with this addiction and yes - it sounds crazy because it is crazy. But just remember, a lot of people drinking sodas know they are horrible and bad but just don't have the will power to break the addiction.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
I'm glad to see this thread today, I can honestly say that I am addicted to soda. I have never felt addiction to anything else like I feel with sodas. Yesterday after a lot of help of my husband, I decide to go cold turkey on sodas. I've been trying to give sodas up for over a year, but if I just have one then I need another and another (i'll tell myself "oh just one a week" but it DOES NOT WORK). I don't think people realize how addictive they are, i've struggled with this addiction and yes - it sounds crazy because it is crazy. But just remember, a lot of people drinking sodas know they are horrible and bad but just don't have the will power to break the addiction.
Then, just as you are trying to recover from the addiction, you see an ad on tv or in a store and there you go! It must be like trying to give up smoking. I don't know what they put in that stuff but it's something that keeps people coming back, like an addiction. You could try decaff coffee with a little cream in it. Or tea. Chai tea is yummy too and you can make it yourself. Just make a pot or cup of tea, throw some cinnamon sticks in it and some vanilla, any spices you want and something like stevia for a sweetener.

Chai tea is good iced in summer too. So is iced coffee. So is ice water with a squirt of lemon (from one of those plastic lemons) and add some stevia. But the soda really needs to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink