Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Then you have never had pomme frites fried in duck fat. Tallow? That's for amateurs. I'm thinking of rendering the fat out of bone marrow and frying potatoes in that for a change of pace.
I tried duck....tasted like liver to me, and very greasy.

Now, the duck grease may taste different for frying, but I was happy with the beef tallow fries and wish they would go back to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I tried duck....tasted like liver to me, and very greasy.

Now, the duck grease may taste different for frying, but I was happy with the beef tallow fries and wish they would go back to it.
Not to thread jack, but if you like beef tallow fries and dislike duck then you have never had duck prepared properly. Find someplace that does Peking Duck correctly and give it another try.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Lard. I raised hogs a few years back and rendered several gallons of lard. I had a young brother-in-law who was a competitive swimmer eating about 9000 calories a day, so I sliced up 10 lbs. of russet potatoes and french fried them in lard. The kid hoovered three big plates full of them, and had never tasted anything so good. The same goes for biscuits and pie crusts. Nothing is as good as the old lard pie crusts.

I used to love coconut oil popcorn as my guilty secret. Now they have decided coconut oil is good for you. I hope the same thing happens with lard, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
...I can't imagine eating it today. My tastes have changed.
Haha. Yes, I recall Lambrusco & Cold Duck tasting wonderful many moons ago. Then Paul Masson white table wine that didn't taste so great, but the style was to keep the carafes on a windowsill to use as vases... odd, as we couldn't afford fresh flowers at that age... haha. Now, I'm thoroughly sophisticated... it's nothing but craft IPA for me.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I do remember it was skim or "milk," which was full fat milk. No 1% or 2 % I don't think. Ice cream was ice cream or ice milk. Don't think ice milk exists anymore? Same with cheese, it was American or Swiss or Cheddar--no 2 %'s back then I don't think. Mozzarella was in a lump, not pre-packaged shredded as it is now.

Anybody else have the same scheduled meals every week? Like Monday was casserole night, etc., etc. Sunday was always Italian. Saturday was roast beef or steak or something "special." Friday, of course, fish night, even after the church turned that one over.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I know they still sell these bit when I was a kid we loved those frozen layer cakes by Pepperidge farm and the frozen sara lee pound cakes.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Oh, yeah, we do that, Nanny. Our fish night is always Tuesday, because I shop on Monday and buy it fresh. Otherwise, it's make your own pizza/burritos on Monday and vegetable soup or stew with sandwiches/salad on Wednesday, because those are busy nights for the kids, and dinner needs to be easy & quick. Thursday is some sort of casserole or pasta dish. Friday is date night/fend for yourself. Saturday is formal family dinner, sometimes with the grandparents. Sunday is baking day in anticipation of the week ahead and leftovers for dinner. Monday it's back to the grocery.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
In-newengland...wife and I grew up in New England too. We remember when soda came in a glass bottle or can and you got it maybe once a week as a treat. There were quart, not liter, bottles. Your average size soda bottle was what..12 or 16 ounces. I remember oreos and fig newtons as favorite cookies. Remember when chips ahoy came out. Remember tab cola when it came out and no one liked it. Fresca too. We had plain whole milk (delivered by a milk man) and white bread (did not get wheat bread till I moved out on my own). Remember kool-ade without sugar and you had to add sugar to sweeten it. I remember nickle bags of Wise potato chips as well as quarter size. Drakes Funny Bones cakes were shaped like funny bones. Their stuff was wrapped in foil back then.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
We had milk and buttermilk from cows a neighbor had and she made butter too that my mom used. The butter was shaped round and had this flower imprinted on top of it. The butter came in wax paper.

Then the lady got to old to tend to her cows and we had the milk man deliver milk, sitting on our front porch when we got up. We would set out the empty milk jars for him to pick up.

We had milk, sweet tea and a jug of water was always in the refrigerator. No Cokes or soft drinks, that was a treat. Actually anything was a treat.

My mom never worked and we had three squares a day, no microwaves, no fast food back then. Mom cooked a pan of biscuits every morning that did us for all three meals. AND ... you were seated at the dining room table, not in front of TV, no cell phones, if you wanted to eat you had your rear end sitting at the table. Food was in bowls and passed around the table by each family member. As we ate we discussed our day and current events. It was meat, potatoes, rice or mac & cheese pie and fresh vegetables.

Saturday was our special day mom would either make hamburgers, fry some potatoes or have oyster stew and sometimes hot dogs. And a really really special treat was if she bought us a TV dinner or chicken pot pie. I mean those frozen things with green peas like pellets. But it was a special meal for us. All week long we would look forward to our special meal on Saturday.

When my husband was in Vietnam, I moved in with my parents. There I was back to three squares a day. LOL I met hubby in Hawaii for R&R and was carrying a few extra pounds from my mom's cooking.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
My mom's side of the family does an amazing chopped liver. It's my grandmother's recipe I think. Uses hard boiled egg. Or cracker meal? We ground the liver with this funky looking hand-crank cast-iron grinder that we'd take out and sit on the kitchen counter, with a bowl under where the "strings" would come out. We'd put the egg in the chute as well and grind it all up together. It's the only way I will eat boiled eggs. I can't stand the smell of sulphur and boiled eggs reek of it.

I don't know anyone who grinds their own meat, and most people would think the idea of eating chopped liver is disgusting (even though many of those people like pate - which is - you guessed it - chopped liver). And I think last week's latest food-health trend was to lambast organ meats. It's definitely fallen out of favor among the nutrition gurus, but it's still a favorite to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink