Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:06 PM

41,781 posts, read 74,795,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurise View Post
What did you guys do all day outside?
Played ... in backyards, at the playground, in the woods and vacant lots ... and much to our parents' dismay, in the street. We rode our bikes from location to location. Sometimes we pretended we were the characters from Lost in Space () or that we were on a mountain hike. We packed lunches and ate in the woods. Other times we'd play playground games like tag, or kickball or four square. If someone's parent got a new stove or fridge, we had a big box to play with. We climbed trees and built forts in the trees with materials gathered from our parents' garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM

50,096 posts, read 63,467,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Played ... in backyards, at the playground, in the woods and vacant lots ... and much to our parents' dismay, in the street. We rode our bikes from location to location. Sometimes we pretended we were the characters from Lost in Space () or that we were on a mountain hike. We packed lunches and ate in the woods. Other times we'd play playground games like tag, or kickball or four square. If someone's parent got a new stove or fridge, we had a big box to play with. We climbed trees and built forts in the trees with materials gathered from our parents' garages.
Me too! The kids went outside and played. We walked all over, made up adventures, and hated to come in for meals or when the streetlights came on.
We did not fear strangers and parents did not feel the need to monitor their kids' every move.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,269,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We made our own bows and arrows, made fine art from the clay at the creek, set up our own pretend 'kitchens where we made everything from soups to stuffed cabbage out of whatever we found, picked berries, played hopscotch, went roller-skating, etc.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,733,861 times
So sad these days - but try and pry a kid away from either their cell phone, computer, gameboy or television. A correlation between the foods of today versus earlier times - I cringe at the thought of all the processed foods that kids eat these days.

Our meals were pretty much prepared from scratch. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Old 04-20-2014, 04:05 PM

22,602 posts, read 24,422,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can still buy boneless breasts for 1.99lb in these parts

and that was the sale price 30 yrs ago for bnls breasts

at regular retail-not on sale, bnls reasts can be high... 3.49lb

the organic breasts,,,are just too much,,,i refuse to pay that much for a breast,,-well,, nevermind..

bone in breasts have gone up a bit- just buy them on sale

I like breasts, mainly to throw in the crockpot because they are so lacking in fat.

Organic food, especially meats, nope, totally unaffordable on my budget......I ain't paying 11 bucks for a medium sized chicken.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,055,557 times
Quote:
What did you guys do all day outside? What was a typical day like in each season? esp. summer & winter

I was born in the 80s so I missed everything but the tail end of this era you all fondly remember... I would love a few different people's takes on this - feel free to pm me if it's too off topic!!

a lot of kids had chores to do around the house- didnt get paid, just expected to do them,,
from mowing the lawn to chopping wood, to haying, to picking garden produce,,

if the chores were done and kids played outside- it depends on the area/region, but
we use to play baseball/football/kickball/ have running competitions, - make go karts and run them in the down hill roads,,,
we use to stay overnight in tents,,we loved that,,,and we (neighborhood) kids knew which house had the best snacks- ring dings, twinkies, devil dogs,,,and soda..
if a kid had a pool....that was awesome!! we'd all pile in,,
one kid got a croquet set - that was fun for a while

around suppa time,,,the moms would be out hollaring for their kids,,,,

Old 04-20-2014, 06:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,251,901 times
Quote:
What did you guys do all day outside? What was a typical day like in each season? esp. summer & winter

I was born in the 80s so I missed everything but the tail end of this era you all fondly remember... I would love a few different people's takes on this - feel free to pm me if it's too off topic!!
Let's see - I lived in a small town, then rural area, so not a lot of other kids around. I had a couple of friends that I played with when I was in elementary school. We played the usual kid games - tag, red light/green light, hide & seek, stuff like that. I climbed a lot of trees. Alone, when I was a bit older, I did a lot of walking in the woods, picking berries, visiting my horse friends at the neighbor's barn. A good friend and I used to go riding together.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM

11 posts, read 27,327 times
Thanks everyone for responding! I don't want to drag the thread too far off topic, but it means a lot that you all shared some of your memories with me (and others).

This isn't my memory (I'm too much of a young-un), but earlier in the thread it was brought up that milk used to be delivered in bottles, and creameries/dairies had the best chocolate milk ever - my mother recalled that it was made with milk that was *just* about to go bad, as they wanted to sell it quick before it turned. Perhaps the fact that it was both full bodied and "on the cusp" of spoiling made the difference?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,711,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I got the idea from the "milk" thread, wherein a poster said that growing up his or her Mom only ever bought 2% milk. That struck me as funny, because 2% (or 1%) milk seems new to me--when I grew up, there was either regular milk or skim milk, the latter of which people on diets drank and I only knew from seeing it in a store. I'm thinking the 2% and 1% started being marketed around the 1980s.

The title of this thread comes from the late Julia Child. I was watching a show once when she was so old that you could hear her breathing heavily into the microphone, and she was only supervising the other people on the show, not doing any of the work herself.

They were making a salad that included canned tuna, and she kept reaching out and picking and eating the tuna and saying how much she loves canned tuna. Then she went on to say that the tuna in oil is the best and to avoid the tuna in water, and asked, "What Nutritional Nellie ever thought that one up?"

So that's another. Tuna in water instead of oil is another fairly "new" or non-traditional way of a product being sold, ostensibly for nutritional purposes.

Any others you can remember?
When they started with the Baked Lay's Potato Chips..question one jumped to my mind: WHO are they trying to kid?

Hormel used to just have Beef Chili..then along comes this Turkey Chili. YUK.

This how interest in some food products dwindle to next to nothing. The manufacturers start tampering with what works, and the next thing you know, people are no longer interested.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:33 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,269,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
When they started with the Baked Lay's Potato Chips..question one jumped to my mind: WHO are they trying to kid?

Hormel used to just have Beef Chili..then along comes this Turkey Chili. YUK.

This how interest in some food products dwindle to next to nothing. The manufacturers start tampering with what works, and the next thing you know, people are no longer interested.
I'll eat turkey chili, but not beef chili.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink