Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ........
Fish fry 42 70.00%
Wings 18 30.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
both!!

YES!!! ^^^THIS^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I love fried fish.....but it has to be certain kinds of fish to make me happy. I love flaky haddock or cod or scrod batter fried; I dislike freshwater fish such as catfish or tilapia. I also have no use for those AYCE fish specials at restaurants where the fish is frozen white fish. I used to work in a restaurant that made lots of money serving up those flavorless, pre breaded frozen white fish.....no wonder its AYCE!!!!!

Years ago I spent time in rural Alabama and like someone mention the churches used to have fish fries after service on Sunday afternoons. The fish was often river fish (drum fish from the Tombigbee River)....fried in big black laundry caldrons of hot fat.. over a wood fire. Hush Puppies were a side. Another fish I could do without are the mullets that I had in Louisianna. Sitting on a restaurant deck over (what do they call those waterways off the bayous????) It was picturesque but nothing I am nostalgic about. I didn't like seeing the mullets splashing in the muddy water while we were eating their cousins.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
The term "fish fry" seems odd to me, especially since baby fish are called....fry! Is it a regional thing?

Fried fish is best.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The term "fish fry" seems odd to me...Is it a regional thing?...
Here, in Dixie, it's often a social event where fried fish is served. It can be as small as a family "fish fry" or as large as a church "fish fry." Sometimes fire stations will hold a "fish fry" for fundraising. At a southern "fish fry" they will more than likely be serving whole fried catfish (unless you're down at the coast). However, at this time of year you will also find family and friends enjoying fried crappie at an informal "fish fry." Fried crappie is truly amazing.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The term "fish fry" seems odd to me, especially since baby fish are called....fry! Is it a regional thing?

Fried fish is best.
It's a southern thing. A fish fry is usually a community fund raiser.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:08 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
It's not just southern. It's also very Catholic this time of year. ;-)

Here's just an example of how many there are in the Pittsburgh area alone.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I don't like fish, so going with wings was a no brainer.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:47 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
Fried fish for me. I'm weird and I don't like to eat with my hands so I rarely eat wings, although I do love them. It's just a little awkward eating little wings with a knife and fork...the looks I get! And I don't blame them...

Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Here, in Dixie, it's often a social event where fried fish is served. It can be as small as a family "fish fry" or as large as a church "fish fry." Sometimes fire stations will hold a "fish fry" for fundraising. At a southern "fish fry" they will more than likely be serving whole fried catfish (unless you're down at the coast). However, at this time of year you will also find family and friends enjoying fried crappie at an informal "fish fry." Fried crappie is truly amazing.
Being raised in MS the fish was usually catfish, whiting, buffalo, or trout for my family.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I don't like fish, so going with wings was a no brainer.
Can you elaborate on this for me? I've never understood people who blanketly don't like fish. There are so many kinds from crab to shrimp to flounder to sea bass, etc. I'm not trying to be rude or snarky, I've
just never understood how someone can dislike one giant food group comprised of thousands of different tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink