Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
40% is unfathomable, where is that from? Beverly Hills?
Approximately three-quarters of that amount is commercial food waste.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
40% is unfathomable, where is that from? Beverly Hills?
I continue to notice that no one has an actual source or context for these outrageous numbers. Now, I think that other than a few notable exceptions, we agree that food waste is bad....but.....12 pounds a per family a week, and now 40% of all food? Urgh....finding that hard to believe, though there is always waste we could do better at using.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Scarlet, here is the research study that appears to be the original source of the figure. The calculation methods are found in the Discussion section.

PLOS ONE: The Progressive Increase of Food Waste in America and Its Environmental Impact

Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
When I was a kid my mom didn't have any trouble getting me to eat just about anything. If I didn't want to eat something she'd tell me about the "Starving kids in ____________". One time I told her to go ahead and send it. Did I get in trouble?? What do you think??? lol I think I was nine at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i use to hear that line too, and then tell her no wonder they are starving if they get served the same thing

that didnt go over well, either

I think every child has said the same thing, since we were such logical-thinking little creatures. I really felt sorry for those poor "Children starving in Europe".

I was notorious for being a poor eater. I often fell asleep at the table where I sat long after everyone else had finished and left the room.

One time, I slid my egg off the plate, put the plate on top of the egg and pressed hard. I announced that I was finished and was excused to go out to play. When my Father put the dishes in the dishpan full of water and the egg floated to the top, well...playtime was over.

I would rather stop in to the grocery store a couple or three times a week to pick up something for dinner than to waste food by having it go south. I wish I could convince myself to quit all this cooking crap and just eat out, but I'm not there yet. Sometimes I stop by my son's house and "get invited" to eat with them. Last week, I sat with one granddaughter while dtr-in-law ran to pick up the other one at dance. When I was leaving, she had taken chicken out of the oven and gave me a leg/thigh combo to take home. No waste that day!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 AM

56 posts, read 56,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I think every child has said the same thing, since we were such logical-thinking little creatures. I really felt sorry for those poor "Children starving in Europe".

I was notorious for being a poor eater. I often fell asleep at the table where I sat long after everyone else had finished and left the room.

One time, I slid my egg off the plate, put the plate on top of the egg and pressed hard. I announced that I was finished and was excused to go out to play. When my Father put the dishes in the dishpan full of water and the egg floated to the top, well...playtime was over.

I would rather stop in to the grocery store a couple or three times a week to pick up something for dinner than to waste food by having it go south. I wish I could convince myself to quit all this cooking crap and just eat out, but I'm not there yet. Sometimes I stop by my son's house and "get invited" to eat with them. Last week, I sat with one granddaughter while dtr-in-law ran to pick up the other one at dance. When I was leaving, she had taken chicken out of the oven and gave me a leg/thigh combo to take home. No waste that day!

Well, when you have had the opportunity to work overseas with people who are starving you realized that what our moms used to say was not a "trick" to make you eat your veggies. Even thought these sad scenes come back one in a while to my mind, I am grateful for had been able to develop some "soft skills" as empathy and compassion after knowing what's really going on there.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Approximately three-quarters of that amount is commercial food waste.
Now that makes sense.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1313 View Post
Well, when you have had the opportunity to work overseas with people who are starving you realized that what our moms used to say was not a "trick" to make you eat your veggies. Even thought these sad scenes come back one in a while to my mind, I am grateful for had been able to develop some "soft skills" as empathy and compassion after knowing what's really going on there.
This is why travel can be so educational for spoiled and privileged Americans. I'll never forget my first trip to Vietnam. While on the taxi ride from the airport to my hotel i saw a little boy no older than four pulling a board with a rope. His mother (I assumed) was laying on that board with a bandaged but bloody stump where her leg had been. he was begging in the middle of the gawdawful traffic in Saigon. That scene haunts me today. Also seeing kids begging for money or food in deplorable conditions changed my life. While i realize i can't send food to them I can certainly be a better consumer here and not waste. What I save I can share with others. It is also a lesson I can share with my kids in hopes they will be better consumers as they reach adulthood.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I continue to notice that no one has an actual source or context for these outrageous numbers. Now, I think that other than a few notable exceptions, we agree that food waste is bad....but.....12 pounds a per family a week, and now 40% of all food? Urgh....finding that hard to believe, though there is always waste we could do better at using.
Here's one link:
Americans Throw Out 40 Percent Of Their Food, Which Is Terrible For The Climate | ThinkProgress

This is not where I had learned of this. It was a documentary a while back that said the 40%. I don't recall what it was called but I was appalled.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
It includes retailers, schools and other commercial institutions, totally makes sense now. I wonder what the residential statistic is? No way it's 40 percent, especially in this economy. At least I would hope so.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 AM

56 posts, read 56,476 times
[quote=no kudzu;34335111]This is why travel can be so educational for spoiled and privileged Americans. I'll never forget my first trip to Vietnam. While on the taxi ride from the airport to my hotel i saw a little boy no older than four pulling a board with a rope. His mother (I assumed) was laying on that board with a bandaged but bloody stump where her leg had been. he was begging in the middle of the gawdawful traffic in Saigon. That scene haunts me today. Also seeing kids begging for money or food in deplorable conditions changed my life. While i realize i can't send food to them I can certainly be a better consumer here and not waste. What I save I can share with others. It is also a lesson I can share with my kids in hopes they will be better consumers as they reach adult.

Sadly, not everyone is willing to come out from their bubble and see "the big picture". Just read some posts and you'll know what I am referring too.

Keep educating your kids, maybe their generation will be able to fix this mess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink