Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Again...Its not me thats wrong...I didn't decide the proper method of preparing scrambled eggs. Again, that doesn't mean you have to prepare or eat them any other way than you like. Actually if you cook scrambled eggs that long then yes, you are overcooking them and that is not the correct way to prepare anything. Yes there are many ways to prepare food to pleases many different palates...but that has nothing to do with whether or not that method is the correct way or not.

Is this a trick question? Its like steak, they should not be cooked past medium rare. But if you like it that way then by all means....its your egg.

Right...thats me to a tee. Thats actually what I do in my spare time....wait....do you know me?

AGAIN...Its not me you are disagreeing with...its accepted culinary knowledge. Thats what is making you ignorant.

If you think that culinary techniques taught to professional chefs is nonsense, then I got news for you. You can't cook.

I wouldn't say you need special training, you can teach yourself but I only know of a handful of "cookbooks" that actually teach cooking techniques instead of just regurgitating a list of recipes.

Anyone interested in learning how to actually prepare food would find the following authors of great help.

Julia Childs
Jacques Pepin
James Peterson
any books by the Culinary Institute of America

also another really decent resource is here
Index of eGCI Courses - The eGullet Culinary Institute (eGCI) - eGullet Forums
Gosh, you'd think that someone who thinks they know EVERYTHING about what's right in the culinary field, and has the bad grace to call someone IGNORANT for disagreeing with you (and whoever you might want to cite) ... would know that the woman's name is Julia Child, not Julia Childs.

It's ridiculous to think that there's "accepted culinary knowledge" that are unbreakable rules, I don't know what to say. Cooking is an art form. And in art, there are no formulas or rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
As the video pointed out, eggs are scrambled differently in different places.

To cook has a very simple definition: to prepare food with heat. Egg + heat = cooked egg. Cooking an egg wrong would be not using heat. James Beard may have a preferred method, but it's not like he invented cooked eggs. Instead of "wrong," the accurate description would be "different from the way James Beard likes his eggs."

Old 04-17-2014, 12:10 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Scrambling some eggs for breakfast? Be warned: They're "one of the most overcooked dishes in America," food writer Michael Ruhlman tells NPR. "We kill our eggs with heat." What we should really be doing, he says, is cooking them "very slowly over very gentle heat." That way, "the curds form," and "the rest of the egg sort of warms but doesn't fully cook and becomes a sauce for the curds.

Think You Know How To Cook Eggs? Chances Are You're Doing It Wrong : The Salt : NPR

My mom called them "soft scrambled eggs".

Old 04-17-2014, 06:27 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
I agree and I wish more people knew that. Salmonella can be found in runny, slightly cooked eggs. I tell this to people who tell me they love runny eggs and they act like I'm crazy!

Salmonella | FoodSafety.gov
"Avoid eating high-risk foods, including raw or lightly cooked eggs..."
Quote:
According to the American Egg Board’s Egg Safety reference, an average consumer might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.
Yes...very risky. Much more risky than getting in a car...or flying...or swimming.

Just to clarify. You do realize salmonella isn't like the plague or something. Unless you have some immune deficiency then its pretty much like getting the stomach virus for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Okay, right, I believe you........hahahaha

I can guarantee you I have better references for my cooking and baking than most. I even have several women whom I have never met hate me because their husbands carry on about how wonderful my cooking is. Actually, just 2 weeks ago a very good friend who does not like macaroni and cheese ate 3 helpings in our home because he loved the macaroni and cheese I made. My own cheese sauce, fresh pasta made in my kitchen right before it was prepared. Yup, I do not know how to cook. I normally feed more people in a week than most do in a year when it comes to guests and good, healthy, full of flavor meals. So me and mine I'll stick to my own cooking and baking and if you think all of those "professionals" are so wonderful you stick with them and I'm glad you will never be invited to my home for supper but that is absolutely your loss and not mine.
Awkward...

Like one of those times people say no a few too many times denying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Gosh, you'd think that someone who thinks they know EVERYTHING about what's right in the culinary field, and has the bad grace to call someone IGNORANT for disagreeing with you (and whoever you might want to cite) ... would know that the woman's name is Julia Child, not Julia Childs.

It's ridiculous to think that there's "accepted culinary knowledge" that are unbreakable rules, I don't know what to say. Cooking is an art form. And in art, there are no formulas or rules.
I don't recall claiming to know everything about the culinary field. I don't recall being a Julia Child fan either. I honestly have read exactly one of her books a very long time ago, but it was good and I do recommend it.

Cooking is only part art, its also part science. Its the last part that has rules.

I didn't claim there were any "unbreakable" rules. In fact I said go ahead and break them, just stop trying to convince yourself and other people that you aren't breaking them.

Quote:
IGNORANT

[ig-ner-uhnt]
adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

I wasn't calling anybody a name by pointing out that they were ignorant of accepted culinary techniques.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:14 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Cooking is only part art, its also part science. Its the last part that has rules.
Cooking is an art. Baking is a science.

The only people overly concerned with "accepted culinary techniques" are the pretentious group who call themselves "foodies," and are generally unable to cook themselves, and people with no imagination or creativity.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:59 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
...the pretentious group who call themselves "foodies,"...
Yikes!! I'm a "foodie" - I appreciate the art, the science, and the subtlety of food and its preparation. I'm more disappointed by those who generalize and stereotype.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:00 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:

The only people overly concerned with "accepted culinary techniques" are the pretentious group who call themselves "foodies," and are generally unable to cook themselves, and people with no imagination or creativity.

All baking is cooking, cooking might be baking. One of the most artful expressions found in the cooking world is found in baking, cakes.

Alton Browns, a classically trained chef, entire show theme was based on a scientific approach to cooking. Not that foodnetwork is the paradigm of great cooking, but they do have a some real chefs and a few of them actually teach cooking techniques. On the other hand they also have "Bitchin Kitchin".

I think all good chefs could by definition also be labeled "foodies", so not sure where you are going with that.

Look, this has been fun but we are kind of past the point of devolving into a "yes it does", "no it doesnt" grade school argument. Nothing has been added to the discussion in the last few pages, so with that, I am signing off.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Cooking is also science ... or haven't you seen "Good Eats"?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I can't stand the white not fully cooked, which is why I always order my eggs over medium and not over easy. Sometimes I still end up with the white not fully cooked. Sometimes I end up with the white cooked, but the yolk hard. I don't think even cooks in a breakfast place know how to cook eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink