Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

Live an authentic life and you won't have to worry about "authentic" food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Er Chinese people don't eat cheese? Pizza is getting really popular, as well as burgers and stuff that have cheese. Most humans are actually lactose tolerant but it doesn't mean they can't consume moderate amounts of dairy. Varies by individual too.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Yeah of course Americanised or westernised Chinese (which is similar here or in the UK, with some differences) is different. The main reason being as a cuisine it's been in the West a lot longer than other ethnic cuisines from Asia like Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, which are still reasonably authentic. Most were brought over by Cantonese cooks (from Guangdong, Canton comes from the old name of the city of Guangzhou) who catered to western palettes.

In most large US cities with sizeable Asian populations there are a few authentic places opened by people actually FROM China. Like authentic hand-made dumplings and noodles, for a start. To the poster who said all the food in China is horrible: I've been to China including Hong Kong and Taiwan, and there's good and bad, you just need to know where to look. It's not true all food there is super greasy, American Chinese is a lot greasier and meat heavy than 'real' Chinese food which varies tremendously from region anyway. Szechuan is nothing like Cantonese which is very different to say Shandong style.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm not sure I can think of any country that doesn't adapt foreign cuisines to better suit their own populace.

One of the oddest I've ever encountered was an ice cream sundae, in Scotland. IT was ice cream, with canned fruit cocktail and whipped cream on top. It was gag-worthy.
My grandma used to put canned fruit cocktail on ice cream all the time. She wasn't Scottish, just Depression-era cheap (no whipped cream, that's expensive). Ice cream alone was a splurge to her.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why would a Chinese restaurant serve Indian rice?
That's not what I meant. I said "good rice", which doesn't mean a certain kind of rice. Rice in an Indian restaurant and rice in a Korean restaurant will probably be very different, but both are usually good in my experience. At the least, it would be rice that's cooked right.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 04-14-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,080,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
This reminds me of a couple of the discussions that I have listened to in the past couple of years.

I recent immigrant from Jalisco opens up a Mexican restaurant in a Chicago suburb, a specialty is goat. Several Mexicans from Sonora come into his place and complain that the food is NOT "real Mexican" as they never have goat in their cooking. There are dozens of regional cuisines in Mexico (and China, for that matter) and MOST have not experienced enough of them to judge whether they are authentic or not.

A second discussion came from a restaurant owner who owned a Thai restaurant that included several Chinese dishes and a few sushi selections in a small metropolitan area in the Midwest. Prior to entering the US, the owner had culinary training and had a couple restaurants in Bangkok. A foodie comes in and starts a campaign against the restaurant on-line as it is "not authentic Thai." The owner replied that he could NOT keep a restaurant open that served ONLY Thai dishes as the area was small. This was "not Las Vegas or Chicago" where you could narrowly define the menu and stay in business which was his primary goal.
In the south suburbs of Chicago, Tinley Park and Orland Park to be more specific (I also believe they have one in Alsip), there is a Mexican place called Burrito Jalisco that I just absolutely love. When I still lived out that way, I would eat there once or twice a week.

Now that's a real jerk move by the foodie to try to run the guy out of business. If the food is good, it's good, really doesn't matter what it's called or what the theme is.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
I'm Chinese and I never eat this stuff.. only Chinese restaurants I eat at are the "authentic" ones in Chinatown. Sadly, the high sodium and trans-fat content of this food is ruining the mainstream's generalizations towards Chinese cuisine.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm Chinese and I never eat this stuff.. only Chinese restaurants I eat at are the "authentic" ones in Chinatown. Sadly, the high sodium and trans-fat content of this food is ruining the mainstream's generalizations towards Chinese cuisine.
I've eaten authentic Sichuan dishes and it is even more saltier than the Americanized version.

The difference between original authentic and American comes down to texture and ingredients. Many authentic dishes use a lot of ginger, spices, and scallions or other veggies were replaced with ingredients we see here.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Er Chinese people don't eat cheese? Pizza is getting really popular, as well as burgers and stuff that have cheese. Most humans are actually lactose tolerant but it doesn't mean they can't consume moderate amounts of dairy. Varies by individual too.
When was the last time you saw dairy on a Chinese menu? I never have.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Er Chinese people don't eat cheese? Pizza is getting really popular, as well as burgers and stuff that have cheese. Most humans are actually lactose tolerant but it doesn't mean they can't consume moderate amounts of dairy. Varies by individual too.[/quote
I'm sure many modern Chinese have come to accept American food products like cheese burgers,pizza,french fries , dairy products etc however when i go to China town those Americanized products are not usually on the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink