Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:02 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who's very into the seasonal nature of, well, everything. He won't drink coffee if it's hot outside ("too hot to drink coffee"), and won't eat ice cream in winter ("Ice cream? In this weather?). He's even constitutionally incapable of being able to see a movie if it's a nice day out ("too nice out to sit in a dark movie theatre").

Are you like this, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 12:14 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have a friend who's very into the seasonal nature of, well, everything. He won't drink coffee if it's hot outside ("too hot to drink coffee"), and won't eat ice cream in winter ("Ice cream? In this weather?). He's even constitutionally incapable of being able to see a movie if it's a nice day out ("too nice out to sit in a dark movie theatre").

Are you like this, OP?
If you were brought up in the frigid north, you are probably well aware of seasonal eating. It's pretty hard for me to eat something like a cold salad when the outside temperature is -5. And do I crave a hearty pot roast when it's 99 outside? Or a bowl of nice hot soup? No.

I have to admit, I could never sit inside at a dark movie theater on a nice day--or even watch tv. I even take my laptop out on the porch on a nice day. When you've endured 6 months of dark, cold winter days, you're not usually gonna waste the few good days. (But I'll eat ice cream anytime)

Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

Are you like this, OP?
Tell me what you'd rather have when it minus thirty five?
Hot soup or a salad?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Hot soup or a salad?
A ticket to Florida. What would you want?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you were brought up in the frigid north, you are probably well aware of seasonal eating. It's pretty hard for me to eat something like a cold salad when the outside temperature is -5. And do I crave a hearty pot roast when it's 99 outside? Or a bowl of nice hot soup? No.

I have to admit, I could never sit inside at a dark movie theater on a nice day--or even watch tv. I even take my laptop out on the porch on a nice day. When you've endured 6 months of dark, cold winter days, you're not usually gonna waste the few good days. (But I'll eat ice cream anytime)
I grew up in North Jersey. Cold enough. I don't crave pot roast most days. I like soup anytime. Neither is weather-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Hot soup or a salad?
It never gets that cold here, but I would more than likely eat both. I really like salads, and eat them every day.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
I crave salads all year around, including when its minus thirty five but I definitely crave them more when its summer. Still like stews and casseroles in the summer but cooking them makes the house too hot.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:53 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Peach I ced tea with real peach chunks in it ...oh lah lah ....

Old 04-20-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Peach I ced tea with real peach chunks in it ...oh lah lah ....
mmmmmmmmmm. Even though I don't like iced tea it still sounds good.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I definitely eat seasonally, although a lot of that is due to what's available, inexpensive and fresh, fruit and vegetable-wise, in stores, farmers market or my garden.

I did forget one thing I do drink more of in summer - sun tea, made with Bigelows brand spearmint tea bags.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM

261 posts, read 418,260 times
Nothing more refreshing in the middle of a hot summer than an ice cold glass fresh iced sweet tea.

Home made lemonade served in the shade of a tree. And the big jar of lemonade with slices of lemons in it sitting on the table under the tree really looks good and makes the lemonade taste even better. It reminds me of the olden days when all us grandkids being at my grandmother's house when we were young and she'd make home made lemonade. It was super sweet, too. Not one bit sour, or even tart. It was so good.

I recently discovered how good and refreshing sparkling water with lime can be on a hot summer day.

Sometimes there is nothing more refreshing than just a plain old glass of ice water served in a cold glass.

The types of glasses those drinks are served in makes in a big difference in how refreshing a drink is. I think cold drinks served in a clear glass are or bright colorful glasses are much more refreshing than served in colored glasses that you can't see the drink.

It's not a drink, but a big slice of cold watermelon is as good a way to beat the heat as any drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink